Pregnancy Massage Home Study?

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

GlassButrFly
Fresh Hands

Pregnancy Massage Home Study?

Post by GlassButrFly » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Has anyone ever taken, or know of anyone who has taken, a pregnancy massage certification course by home study/correspondence/online that would be willing to share their experience? I would much rather take a course in person, but it seems like none of the people offering pregnancy massage certification courses ever come to TX. I'm a little nervous about learning pregnancy massage through a home study course - can it be learned effectively? I know you can't underestimate the benefit of someone watching your technique and correcting positioning, pressure, etc. Some of the home study courses do require you to complete a "case study" with client evaluations in order to receive the certificate, but that doesn't replace a trained eye evaluating your technique.

I've considered doing a homestudy course and also taking one of the 6 hour pregnancy massage courses that are offered by local schools... but honestly, from the feedback I've gotten on other CEU courses offered at these schools, it was little more than a review of the same techniques taught during the overview of techniques and modalities that you get during massage school. While it may technically be "hands on" experience, I don't know if it would be worth the extra expense if I wasn't sure the teacher and course was awesome.

The main home study course that I'm looking at is offered by Claire Marie Miller, but I'm open to suggestions. Thank you!

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Pregnancy Massage Home Study?

Post by pueppi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

GlassButrFly wrote:Has anyone ever taken, or know of anyone who has taken, a pregnancy massage certification course by home study/correspondence/online that would be willing to share their experience? I would much rather take a course in person, but it seems like none of the people offering pregnancy massage certification courses ever come to TX. I'm a little nervous about learning pregnancy massage through a home study course - can it be learned effectively? I know you can't underestimate the benefit of someone watching your technique and correcting positioning, pressure, etc. Some of the home study courses do require you to complete a "case study" with client evaluations in order to receive the certificate, but that doesn't replace a trained eye evaluating your technique.

I've considered doing a homestudy course and also taking one of the 6 hour pregnancy massage courses that are offered by local schools... but honestly, from the feedback I've gotten on other CEU courses offered at these schools, it was little more than a review of the same techniques taught during the overview of techniques and modalities that you get during massage school. While it may technically be "hands on" experience, I don't know if it would be worth the extra expense if I wasn't sure the teacher and course was awesome.

The main home study course that I'm looking at is offered by Claire Marie Miller, but I'm open to suggestions. Thank you!
I don't know if it will help you, but I took a fairly decent course by a lady in Houston, who has a massage business in Houston and provided the class at the Hermann Memorial Massage School when it was still in business. I can provide you her information if you would like. Just PM me.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “CEU's”