ONLINE COURSES WORTHWHILE?

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

mangosister
Fresh Hands

ONLINE COURSES WORTHWHILE?

Post by mangosister » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:30 am

Hi All~
I'm interested in the general consensus-if there is one-about whether online courses are worthwhile? I'm a little behind the times, perhaps, and all of my previous continuing ed has been live, in-person, and pricey!

I am short on both time AND cash, and would prefer to streamline this endeavor--however, I don't want to waste my time on hokey stuff that people are secretly rolling their eyes at.

I would love any and all feedback, thoughts, opinions, experience you've had with online learning! Thanks! :D

JLWmassage

Re: ONLINE COURSES WORTHWHILE?

Post by JLWmassage » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:19 am

Depends. What are you looking to take online?

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:25 pm

mangosister wrote:I am short on both time AND cash, and would prefer to streamline this endeavor--however, I don't want to waste my time on hokey stuff that people are secretly rolling their eyes at.
Are you needing to get in your CEU's for your state/national requirements?

If that is the case and you are short on time and cash, then I'd say the most important thing is to stay licensed. If you end up in a class that is inexpensive and doesn't take time, but allows you to continue your practice, you can always look for a better course that you prefer in the future once you have more time and more money.

You are not required to tell your clients (or anyone else, except the state) what classes you have taken, so there is no reason for someone to be in the position to "roll their eyes" at any courses you take, if you feel they were for licensing purposes only. Just don't mention it in detail.

So, have you run across anything you are interested in?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:39 am

pueppi wrote:Are you needing to get in your CEU's for your state/national requirements?

If that is the case and you are short on time and cash, then I'd say the most important thing is to stay licensed. If you end up in a class that is inexpensive and doesn't take time, but allows you to continue your practice, you can always look for a better course that you prefer in the future once you have more time and more money.
This is a follow-up regarding the online CEU's through ABMP. I am an ABMP member. Due to some limitations my husband needed to get his 2 years worth / 12 hours of CEU's in for our state. And, the cheapest (free if you are an ABMP member), quickest (can do online when you have time) and least stress (no travel while he was completing grad school) way to handle this, was to try the online CEU option which is now acceptable for our state. For these purposes, I think the online CEU's are useful.

As a matter of fact, I decided to go ahead and complete mine online as well, since I don't have time to travel right now for anything on my wish list.

I'll likely just be lazy and go ahead and knock out my next two years requirements as soon as my birthday passes (we're licensed by birth month), and just be done with it. I have a lot going on this next year, and don't want to let it slide until the last minute. This will also allow me to take some time to locate a good hands-on CEU class over the coming two years, but not stress about it, if I don't find something useful. ;)
  • Quick Review:
    • I didn't really learn anything new, it was simple to do, and it can get boring.
    • I have never been one for tests, so, just to let you know, the testing is simplified and if you have any kind of brain in your head at all, you won't find this to be stressful.
    • One important note: content is parsed into one (1) credit hour intervals, so you can easily knock out a twelve hour credit stint in a day or so... or, you could just work on the videos between clients. You can also pause the content as needed, or let it run in the background while you are folding sheets. You don't necessarily have to sit directly in front of the monitor the entire time.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “CEU's”