Looking to become a teacher

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

LizOmen7
Fresh Hands

Looking to become a teacher

Post by LizOmen7 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:54 am

I am very excited for the upcoming years. I have been a massage therapist for 10 years and I told myself right out of school, in 10 years i would teach. In a few weeks I am going to teach a one day class on prenatal at the school i went to so the program director can see if teaching is for me. Working on my class for a couple weeks.

But I have also become a Reiki teacher and started teaching reiki classes out of my home spa. This has led me want to teach one or two CEU classes in ... lets say 5 years. The two i feel most passionate about massage cupping and Lymphatic. and i want to combine that into one class. and myofascial release. To prepare for this i want to expand my knowledge of those two things and concentrate my CEU classes that Im going to take on those.

Any other advice as I slip into being a massage teacher?

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Looking to become a teacher

Post by MarionFM » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:45 am

Well done for meeting your goals, that is impressive.

I too like to teach but there just aren't enough hours in a day, or perhaps I mean days in a week!

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Looking to become a teacher

Post by pueppi » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:50 pm

LizOmen7 wrote:Any other advice as I slip into being a massage teacher?
I think it is important for all teachers to remember to start with the basics and move forward. So many teachers assume everyone is on-board for a course and that they know or remember the important basic items that surround a specific course.

A great way to do this is to dedicate the first class to learning about each student and guaging what they know. Have some discussion. Then you can relate better to them and know who may need to be remediated before getting into the nitty-gritty. It can also save you a lot of time down the line.

I love doing this with a class for another reason, it allows them to get to know each other. There will always be someone who knows more or less than another. To make it a little less competitive, you can also take that class pair up people... a more knowledgeable person with less knowledgeable person, if you like. This also fosters a "giving" class-room instead of a "taking" one.

Here is another example: My husband is a a history-nut. And, when he starting teaching, he had a college group that needed a dedicated course for an exam that was coming up. One of the basics of the the class they were in, was WWI. Obviously if you are taking a final in a class such as this, you should know when WWI occured and where. Half way through the prep (a hour into the class), a student raised her hand and asked... "Where did this war take place?"

After that, he always made sure to get the class base-line.

It's been ages since I taught. I am so very excited for you. And, I love that you are resurrecting old threads! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “CEU's”