Bad CEU Experience

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

missfrisbee
Fresh Hands

Bad CEU Experience

Post by missfrisbee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:47 am

Curious if anyone on this board has successfully gotten their money back after being dissatisfied with a class they have taken. I would assume that also means forfeiting the CEU's. How did you go about it? Did you leave class early? Did you speak up during the course of instruction? Did you write a letter afterwards? Did you receive any blowback, professionally, for having complained? Was the instructor well-known, or not well known? Have you ever tried to re-steer a class to keep it on point?

I just got back from a very expensive class that did not live up to its advertising. Part way through day one, I was nearly in tears from boredom and frustration, knowing I had about 12 more hours of class to survive. I ended up sticking it out because I need the CEU's. I had been looking forward to it because there was a big name involved, whose classes I had not yet attended. No I am wondering what all of the hype was about.

One last note, does it bother anyone else when a full hour of class time is spent meditating, when meditation was not advertised as having anything to do with the technique or subject matter for the class? I resent it.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Bad CEU Experience

Post by pueppi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:08 pm

missfrisbee wrote:Curious if anyone on this board has successfully gotten their money back after being dissatisfied with a class they have taken. I would assume that also means forfeiting the CEU's. How did you go about it? Did you leave class early? Did you speak up during the course of instruction? Did you write a letter afterwards? Did you receive any blowback, professionally, for having complained? Was the instructor well-known, or not well known? Have you ever tried to re-steer a class to keep it on point?
I have had a few bad experiences in CEU classes, but I have never asked for my money back. Occasionally, I have taken classes just for the content, and have always had good experiences with those.

If you need the CEU's, then it may be best to just write a letter, stating the reasons you were unhappy, and see if they provide you with a discount or return your fees. If you don't need the CEU's, then you may want to press harder. However, I would think you would still keep the CEU credits no matter what, because you did actually sit through the entire course. Perhaps you will just need to pay for the cost of the submission of the CEU's, once they find out how unhappy you were with the course.
One last note, does it bother anyone else when a full hour of class time is spent meditating, when meditation was not advertised as having anything to do with the technique or subject matter for the class? I resent it.
I wouldn't necessarily resent it. There is room for unexpected events like meditation or longer lunches, within a CEU course. I don't think it is common for all CEU classes to have hour by hour details about the curriculum. But, I could be wrong. Last year I did all my massage CEU's online, and I also get CEU's for another license, so I can't recall what is the norm right now.

If you didn't like the class anyway, I'd think the meditation was a nice respite, to just sleep. ;)

My best.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

missfrisbee
Fresh Hands

Post by missfrisbee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for the feedback. I am undecided about whether or not I will pursue this. I'm probably going to be ticked off for awhile, and then make the best of it, using the few things that I did glean in the interminable 16 hours of class. I decided to counteract some bad feelings by contacting people whose classes I did benefit from and telling them so. I have also given a little more thought as to how I select which CEU's to take. I think that personally, I prefer classes geared exclusively towards LMP's. This was the first class I've taken that included PT's, OT's personal trainers, kinesiologists, and a deaf psychiatrist, among others.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:02 am

Love the "save" you made by letting the good courses know how much you appreciated them!

You can also use this opportunity to help your fellow MT's! It might be beneficial if you let us know what the class was, so we can make an informed decision as to if steering clear would be appropriate.

And, you could make a full post of your experience with the class, the good, the bad and the ugly, under it's own heading.

Examples:
  • here, for Klose MLD (Vodder Technique)
  • here, for Myopractic
  • here, for ABMP Online CEU's
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

missfrisbee
Fresh Hands

Post by missfrisbee » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:54 pm

I decided to ask the presenter who went the most off course for a refund. They made a $hitload of money on that class, so I think they can afford to give me back my $495. I'll keep you posted.

missfrisbee
Fresh Hands

Post by missfrisbee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:30 pm

I won't be getting my money back for that class. Apparently everyone else loved it, some people so much that they shed tears of thankfulness!!

Return to “CEU's”