Does Watsu count for CEU's?

Discussion of topics relating to Continuing Education.

Moderator: moogie

merlescuz
Retired Moderator

Does Watsu count for CEU's?

Post by merlescuz » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:53 am

I'm pursuing a watsu certification, but have never gotten a clear idea as to whether the training counts for CEU's. Watsu is not listed on ABMP's site as a technique that they consider for it, and it appears that Harbin, the place that originated the technique, is not on the NCBMTB list.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
"Luck is a matter of preparation meeting oppurtunity"
Oprah Winfrey

www.turtledancebodywork.com

seekingequanimity
Registered Member

Post by seekingequanimity » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:53 am

Well, I don't know how helpful I can be in answering your question, other than to say that I used Watsu CEU's. However, that was for my own state (Oregon) licensing requirements; and my state allows us to use our own good sense in deciding whether certain classes/teachers can "enhance your massage related knowledge".

If I'm not mistaken, the massage school at Harbin changed hands within the past year and perhaps the current school at that location has not done the paperwork to have themselves listed as a provider of NCBMTB CEU's. But, I believe that the "old" Watsu school is still in existence, and focusing more on on-site education worldwide. In that case, wouldn't it be up to the individual instructors that are traveling around to be listed as NCBMTB providers?

I am a new member of the ABMP, I just looked throught my packet of stuff that I received a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't find the listing that you are talking about. I did a search on their massage-finder, using Watsu as the only criteria in looking up a MT, and that was a legitemate search option.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Noel

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Post by AnastasiaB » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Merlescuz,

When I joined ABMP, I was told that even things like accounting, public speaking, etc could be used to "count" towards CEUs because they all work toward enhancing one's ability to run one's practice well, and helps the massage practice to flourish.

So, if you are really unsure, call the nice folks at ABMP and ask them. I have always found them to be very responsive to inquiries and very helpful in steering you to the proper person to give you the most accurate answers.
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

Blisss
Registered Member

Post by Blisss » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 pm

What counts as CEU varies by state. For example, in my state, I the only CEU's which count are those approved by the National Board. I recommend checking with your state licensing board.

Shantam
Fresh Hands

Re: Does Watsu count for CEU's?

Post by Shantam » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:02 am

Hello, I realize that the original posted question is very old but in case anyone happens to stumble upon it with the same question, I will answer. Any form of Aquatic Bodywork i.e. Watsu, WaterDance, Healing Dance, Fluid Presence etc. can provide you with NCBTMB CE Units if the instructor is a NCBTMB Provider. Nowadays, there are quite a few of us Aquatic Bodywork instructors that are providers. I hope this helps,
Shantam
http://www.h2om.com

truepeacenik
Registered Member

Re: Does Watsu count for CEU's?

Post by truepeacenik » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm

From my instructor:
No CE hours but this class counts toward certification under the Worldwide Aquatic Bodywork Association Registry (WABAR).

I'm thinking he hasn't gotten NCBMTB certification for himself, as he teaches at least two modalities.

But, I'm on WABAR with one class under my belt...errr....suit?

Return to “CEU's”