State by State License Requirements

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

State by State License Requirements

Postby everydaymaynard on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:13 am

This is a good site for those who have questions about each state's licensure requirements.

http://www.massageregister.com/StateRequirements.asp
everydaymaynard
Fresh Hands

Re: State by State License Requirements

Postby lynnfixter on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 am

I have just received by California State License, we no longer have to get a San Diego License and one for each city.
lynnfixter
Fresh Hands

Postby KneadingU on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:05 am

Here is another listing of state regulated massage: http://www.massagetherapy.com/careers/stateboards.php
KneadingU
Registered Member

Postby KimberlyRad on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:48 am

New Question!!

I'm an LMT in IL and I was wondering what certifications you need to practice certain modalities.

Do you need to be certified in Reflexology, Pregnancy massage, Thai massage, Lomi Lomi, etc... in order to offer that as a service?

Does anyone know of a website that possibly has a list of some sort? I've been on the Dept of Prof. Reg. and I just can't seem to find anything that has the specifics for other modalities.

Please help. :)
KimberlyRad
Fresh Hands

Postby KneadingU on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:23 am

The only thing that I can recommend is to check with the local or state regulatory agency in question. Since massage therapy is regulated by different agencies in different jurisdictions in the US, they all seem to have a different set of rules and regulations. For example: I now live in North Carolina and massage therapy is regulated by the state and some modalities like Reflexology are not included in massage therapy. They are regulated separately. Also, I used to live and practice in California where massage therapy included Reflexology. So, it depends where you are.
KneadingU
Registered Member

Postby thrawtsom on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 am

Anyone from Louisiana?

About to graduate from Pensacola School of Massage Therapy on Aug 5. I'm expecting to give Pensacola a year to see how things go. Depending on the outcome, I am considering looking to other states, including Louisiana - more specifically New Orleans.

I looked at the requirements for La., and I see they require an oral exam. Has anyone been thru this process? If I decide to become licensed in La., what should I expect from the oral exam?

Also, anyone working in the New Orleans area feel free to pitch in about anything in general about working in that area (pros cons, etc.). I am going to be focusing on medical and sports massage.

Thanks!

T.
thrawtsom
Fresh Hands

Postby Rozax on Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Same as KneadingU, I use MassageTherapy.com. I like saving the PDFs to track the changes. :)
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Minnesota continues to be regulated piecemeal, by municipality, though one state law affecting massage therapists exists. For more info, and to track the progress of efforts to establish state licensing, go to www.ALMTMN.org
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 am

MA. now has a state license. Thank God. And you now need 650 hours
JLWmassage

Postby andreamartinez on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 am

Has anyone knows about California state?

I'm planning to some business in CA. I am also searching for free legal advice for my business plans. I cam across tl brown law firm and I'm excited to talk about it, I can see in their social media that they offer free legal advice.
andreamartinez
Fresh Hands

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics