seattle or portland

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

seattle or portland

Postby NomadQueen on Fri May 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Im a student in florida and i wish to move to washington or oregon anfter I graduate, probably near or in seattle or portland. My question is which citty has better job opritunits for MTs? And would it be of bedafit to get licensed in FL first before apllying in one of those states?

I have seen more job postings for MTs in seattle on line but id like to hear from others more familliar with those areas.

if anyone has advice in this id love to hear all opinions
NomadQueen
Fresh Hands

Re: seattle or portland

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Don't assume higher # of job postings means more opportunities.

If people are leaving the jobs to become waiters, personal trainers or baristas because there is not enough massage business means there should actually be FEWER jobs in the market than there appear to be, and the ads are for revolving door positions.

Portland has one of the worst economies in the country.

From the Portland Tribuine - "Among other things, the report shows that Multnomah County lost 24,463 private sector jobs since 1997. As a result, it ranks second from the bottom in private sector job creation among the 194 counties in the western United States during the past decade."
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Fri May 20, 2011 5:58 pm

I am originally from OR. So I know it's not for everyone.
East coasters don't do so well with the weather.
If you are from FL I don't know that you would necessarily LIKE the Pacific Northwest.

There are a lot of Massage Therapists in the region - but I notice that a higher percentage of people do get massages.
I was in Portland this past Fall...it's always been a little on the "seedy" side, but it seemed like there were so many more homeless people.

If you do continue with school be aware that Oregon does not have license reciprocity with ANY state. If you can pass one of the national exams you will still have to pass a practical exam in Oregon in order to be licensed. I don't know about WA.

If English is not your first language make sure that you get some help with your resume to make sure grammar and spelling are correct.
Having seen many applications for few jobs, the ones that get tossed first are the ones showing poor communication skills.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby NomadQueen on Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 am

Im not from FL, Im just staying here for school and dont really like it here. I've traveld a lot and lived in a lot of diff places from Alaska to Hawaii. The PNW is one of my favorit places, I was born in Juneau Alaska so im familior with that weather. I just cant dicide where would be best to try to move, they bothe heve thire pros and cons. I think I'm leaning towards WA so far.

english is my only languig but im dislexic so its a good idea and I'll def get help with applications
NomadQueen
Fresh Hands

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics