Process to get license in another state.

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Process to get license in another state.

Postby yassel78 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I am wondering the following. I've been an LMT in the State of Florida since 2008 and recently I've decided that I might move to Seattle, WA. I took my National Board test when I graduated from school. Since I'm National Certified, what I want to know is, how is the process of getting the license in another state, in this case WA for someone in my situation? Do I need to take another test? Are my credit hours transferable from FL to WA?

Thank you in advance for your help?
yassel78
Fresh Hands

Re: Process to get license in another state.

Postby yassel78 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm

Ok, so I found some information that answers my question. If someone is from any of the states/countries listed below, and have passed the national board certification, you only need to apply for the license, pay the fee and that's it.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/professions/ ... other_jurs

Are you Licensed in Another Jurisdiction?

You may be eligible to receive a massage license from Washington State without taking our licensing examination.

The Washington State Board of Massage must determine that the massage regulations and education requirements in your jurisdiction of licensure are substantially equivalent to those of Washington.

The Board can only approve the regulations and education requirements of the jurisdiction that granted your license, not your personal credentials.

Currently Approved Jurisdictions:

Alabama
British Columbia, Canada
China (Chengdu Province)
China (Sichuan Province)
City of San Diego
England
Florida
Germany
Louisiana
Moldova
Nebraska
Netherlands
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Ontario, Canada
Oregon
Overland Park, Kansas
Tennessee
Utah
yassel78
Fresh Hands

Postby Taoist on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 am

I'm surprised there are so few "approved jurisdictions". My state is listed, so I guess that's good news for me if I ever happen to end up in Washington :lol:
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Postby yassel78 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:21 am

Taoist wrote:I'm surprised there are so few "approved jurisdictions". My state is listed, so I guess that's good news for me if I ever happen to end up in Washington :lol:

I'm sure if your state requires 500 or more hours of study, then Washington will accept your hours. I think New York is like 1000 :shock: What I'm wondering now is, if I have to use an example 800 hours of credit hours, and 200 hours of continuing study, would a state like NY accept those 200 extra hours as part of the 800 for a total of 1000? :?:
yassel78
Fresh Hands

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 am

I'm sure if your state requires 500 or more hours of study, then Washington will accept your hours. I think New York is like 1000 What I'm wondering now is, if I have to use an example 800 hours of credit hours, and 200 hours of continuing study, would a state like NY accept those 200 extra hours as part of the 800 for a total of 1000?

I am going to say no. NY has certain hours in certian courses they want you to take. And CEU don't count towards school hours
JLWmassage

Postby akashafive on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:48 am

:iagree:

Originally from NY where I was initially licensed, I've seen others come in from other states, even having years of practice under their belts, and still have to go back to school to satisfy NY requirements. They are very specific with what they want you to have education in. Of course, it never hurts to ask.
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Postby Taoist on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 am

I have a graduate who has 720 hours and is now moving from Utah to NY and trying to get his license there. They do not accept continuing education and are very picky about breaking down the curriculum to compare it to theirs. The whole process has been kind of a pain :confused: .

Utah doesn't accept continuing ed either, as I've talked to a lady who graduated in California with 200 hours but has nearly 10 years' worth of CEUs. She ended up just enrolling in the whole program and basically starting all over since she couldn't take only the classes she needed and still qualify for financial aid.

If you're moving to California, however, they will accept CEUs and that's the only state I'm aware of that does. There might be others that I'm not familiar with.
"At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want."
Lao Tzu

Taoist
Registered Member

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics