Australian Qualifications and useful information

A board covering matters of regulation and requirements as well as discussion regarding the bodywork and related professions. Wow! Now that's a lot of discussion!

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Australian Qualifications and useful information

Postby Tilly on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi,

I am fairly new to the forum but here is some information on massage therapy in Australia. I am in Queensland so i am not too sure if the information will differ from state to state .... maybe other members from different states can help with that one :D

Cert IV in Massage is the first step on the ladder to becoming a qualified massage therapist. It provides training in full body Swedish Massage, incorporates Neuromuscular and Sports Massage. However, each massage school is different as I believe that I am at the only school in Queensland that will teach NMT at Cert IV level. I also get seated, pregnancy and bit of Lymphatic massage thrown in there too. Check each schools course outline before you enrol. Cost of the course can vary from about $3500 - $6000. With this qualification you could work in a spa, perhaps Physio assistant.

Next step up the ladder is then Diploma of Remedial Massage and the Cert IV is a mandatory pre-requisite for you to be able to enrol. Successful completion allows you to apply for health provider status, allowing your clients to claim rebate from their private health funds for their treatment. Cost vary from about $5000 - $7000

Then I believe a new step for further study is Advanced Diploma of Remedial Massage - Myotherapy I don't know too much about this yet but if I find out I will be sure to let you know.

I will update this topic further with instances, association information etc. soon.
Tilly
Fresh Hands

Re: Australian Qualifications and useful information

Postby Tilly on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Joining the Australian Association of Massage Therapists - AAMT
http://aamt.com.au

Memberships available are current prices as of 15/02/2013:

Remedial Massage Therapist - diploma required $339
Massage Therapist - Cert IV required $319
Student - for students currently studying $55
Affiliate Member - for individuals or organisations interested in massage therapy but are none of the above
currently $110

Association of massage therapists Ltd - AMT
http://www.amt.org.au

Student membership
General Level
Senior Level One
Senior Level two

These two websites above will also link to insurance providers but one that has been recommended is AON Risk Services.
Tilly
Fresh Hands

Return to County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics