Massage Therapy Guide

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

stewroids
Fresh Hands

Massage Therapy Guide

Post by stewroids » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey all,

I just finished my second year of Massage Therapy and was planning to create a website geared for Massage Therapist and students. I found a lot of the material was all over the place, and I thought it would be a good idea to create a website with all the proper information into one website. Would anybody appreciate this, and if so, what would you like to see on the website? Thanks!

squash_blsm

Re: Massage Therapy Guide

Post by squash_blsm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:28 am

I think that the Massage Therapy associations AMTA and ABMP have that pretty well covered already.

Not sure how you could improve on that...but you never know
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

stewroids
Fresh Hands

Post by stewroids » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

I was planning to create a website to cover the material that the schools teach us such as Anatomy (muscles, ligaments, landmarks, etc), Assessment (special test, myotomes, dermatomes, etc), and possibly videos demonstrating specific techniques, and maybe even videos on how to properly drape.

katamay
Registered Member

Post by katamay » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:47 am

Some clarifying questions to think about:

Would this be focused on students in your state? Or would it cover the material students from each state need to know individually? Would it cover information for students attending Western and Eastern style massage schools? How do you plan to account for discrepancies between textbooks used in different schools/states?

I've found that, technique-wise, Massage Nerd covered anything I needed to review in school, but much of the terminology was different because Ohio uses Kellogg terminology, rather than Fritz (which many states use) or old-school French names. Also our required anatomy textbooks (schools could choose Tortora or Kuntzman, who made sure their information was consistent across both books) are not used by every state, and so while I could look at the illustrations in other resources, I had to make sure to double check the written information in my own text.

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com

stewroids
Fresh Hands

Post by stewroids » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 am

Good point!

I'm in Canada, and we use Moore for our Anatomy. I wish everything was universal, it'll be so much easier! But how different can they origin, insertions and innervations be?

katamay
Registered Member

Post by katamay » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:48 pm

But how different can they origin, insertions and innervations be?
Not too different, but a little bit. Many muscles have a range of normal attachments (especially on the torso), so you'll see some books saying L4, others saying L5, etc. Different anatomists divide the brain differently too, as an example. Some say there are four major regions, some say five or six. The actions of many muscles will vary from book to book, depending on what they consider major enough to mention. So it gets a little crazy at times. :)

Kat

stewroids
Fresh Hands

Post by stewroids » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Thanks Kat!

So do you think students all around world could benefit from a website that describes the "general" Anatomy of muscles, and possibly benefit from Orthopedic testing? I know all textbooks are the same, but they're all relevant in some way :)

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 pm

stewroids wrote:Thanks Kat!

So do you think students all around world could benefit from a website that describes the "general" Anatomy of muscles, and possibly benefit from Orthopedic testing? I know all textbooks are the same, but they're all relevant in some way :)
I think such a site might be beneficial if it cited relevant references used as source materials for the information provided. This would provide some context for readers that might be familiar with contradictory information published elsewhere. I think it would also be uniquely helpful to permit readers to post comments.

It would also be helpful to post links to relevant research studies. My guess is that some readers will be aware of research that invalidates some of the information that is published, and it's important to respond by updating the relevant information on the web site. In short, we are talking about a MASSIVE undertaking that will consume a great deal of your time. However, it might be very useful if done well.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

stewroids
Fresh Hands

Post by stewroids » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:41 am

JasonE wrote:
stewroids wrote:Thanks Kat!

I think such a site might be beneficial if it cited relevant references used as source materials for the information provided. This would provide some context for readers that might be familiar with contradictory information published elsewhere. I think it would also be uniquely helpful to permit readers to post comments.

It would also be helpful to post links to relevant research studies. My guess is that some readers will be aware of research that invalidates some of the information that is published, and it's important to respond by updating the relevant information on the web site. In short, we are talking about a MASSIVE undertaking that will consume a great deal of your time. However, it might be very useful if done well.
I agree!

I'm in Canada, and I checked some schools within my area and we all use different textbooks. It's going to be a challenge having the "correct" information on the website but I'll do more researching. I'm also a Personal Trainer as well, and I wish there was a solid exercise database with thousands of exercises. I guess that will be my next project in the future :)

katamay
Registered Member

Post by katamay » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 pm

What JasonE said. :)

Kat

Rozax
Registered Member

Post by Rozax » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:39 pm

First, have you checked out MassageNerd.com? They have a lot of good information, so you'd want to be able to provide something that they're lacking.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 pm

stewroids wrote:I'm also a Personal Trainer as well, and I wish there was a solid exercise database with thousands of exercises. I guess that will be my next project in the future :)
Have you seen www.ptonthenet.com? The site has an ENORMOUS library of exercises, but it is restricted to members.

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

HandsDown
Fresh Hands

Post by HandsDown » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Stewroids did you create the site?! I'm interested in seeing it, if you did.

I personally it is a great idea!!! There isn't a real site that caters to students, you either to be a member of the site or their topics lean towards post graduation. I see a lot of info about getting into and/or choosing a MT School. Then, maybe one or two topics about being IN school. Then the bulk of the information out there is for once you've completed school and have a license.

By the way, I'm not knocking any sites that are currently out there. Lord knows I have most of them linked in my favorites. :oops:

If you create something just for students it'd be a winner. :mrgreen:

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Rozax wrote:First, have you checked out MassageNerd.com? They have a lot of good information, so you'd want to be able to provide something that they're lacking.
I give Ryan Hoyme all the credit for creating such a huge pile of massage-related content and information in one place, and he has given many, many people lots of free publicity and exposure to other methods and ways of thinking. His site is truly a gift to massage therapists around the world.

MassageNerd.com is (thankfully) much better organized and better looking than before...but a lot of the content is still so-so. The worst stuff he had on there appears to be gone now, but there is a LOT of room for improvement. It would take many years to build up a larger collection of content, but you can improve on the quality of the content in a much shorter time.

For example, the only "Research" resources presented are links to the Massage Therapy Foundation and the Touch Research Institute. Those are nice, but they barely scratch the surface and he doesn't provide any help on how to become more research literate. I haven't seen any of the content on MassageNerd link directly to any research, cite any research, nor discuss any research in any detail whatsoever. A much better example of how to do this can be found at www.SaveYourself.ca, a site and blog by Paul Ingraham. He does a great job discussing topics based on research evidence and he constantly cites (and provides links to) his sources. He has a large volume of information that is high-quality and presented pretty well.

The MassageNerd forums are pretty much dead. You will find much more activity and better info here on BWOL and some other forums. Instead of creating more forums, it would be a greater service to link to a variety of the better forums for MTs, PTs, DCs, and other health/fitness professionals. This is because MTs rarely see the kind of high-quality info that is routinely discussed on other forums, and I have found it immensely valuable to read those discussions and sometimes participate to clarify my understanding of the topic(s).

I won't go on pointing out more flaws on the M-N- site, but you get the idea. Build a better mousetrap, not a bigger one.

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Post by MTSI » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

I think a website that is geared toward single practitioners or small business practitioners would be helpful. many are not taking full advantage of the tax advantages for example. others are not incorporating correctly, exposing them to liabilities. any thoughts on this?
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

Return to “Student Forum”