New and looking for advice

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

Chiama
Fresh Hands

New and looking for advice

Post by Chiama » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 pm

Hello everyone! So ill get right to it. I'm trying to figure out where i could go to school so that i could get the requirements so that i can work internationally. I've done my research, but i wanted to come on here and ask professionals if what ive found is right or if im going down the wrong path. In my research i came across ITEC and looked around on there and in the U.S. they only listed a few schools that they see as accredited. I live in California and im young so i live with my parents still, and can no way do any schooling outside of Cali (the economy is so bad where we live so were struggling) so im stuck with what is available in this state. I've already taken a super short course in massage and loved it, so now im just looking for those international credentials. I'm not sure where internationally ill end up working, it all depends on my fiance. He's finishing up his schooling and wants to move abroad (more tech/computer opportunities) so ill go where he ends up. So thank you for anyone who reads this and bestows their knowledge to me, i am already grateful.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: New and looking for advice

Post by pueppi » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 am

Which schools did you find in the States that are ITEC certified? I ask because -one- it would be nice to know what you've located, and -two- because it will help us to look at those curriculums and be able to give you some more detailed advice.

I took a reflexology course at an ITEC certified school and it is my understanding that you have the best chance to cover more bases by getting your certification with an ITEC school, if you plan to move out of the US (if you have no idea where you may be going).

Last I checked, ITEC is recognized in 30 some-odd countries.

I've also popped off an e-mail to ITEC to see what other info I can collect for you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am

I was able to find a school in San Diego

http://www.sandiegobeautyacademy.com/

Chiama
Fresh Hands

Post by Chiama » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Wow, thank you both for your responses! So i guess the only school i could attend in the one in san diego, the San Diego Beauty Academy. As for ITEC U.S. schools, this is what i found http://www.itecworld.co.uk/colleges/def ... +States&p= . But thank you both, and its good to know that ITEC is recognized in so many countries i feel much more encouraged for wherever i go now! And thank you so much for sending an email to them, i can't believe i didn't think of that, guess i got just too wrapped up in all the info i was gathering. Thank you both!

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:41 am

Useful and important info from ITEC:
Dear <insert my name here>,

We thank you for your enquiry and although ITEC works in more than 38 countries currently, it does not mean that you automatically will be able to work in a country. Each country has their own set of rules regarding qualifications, you will have to contact the Embassy of the country and in the United States each State Board is different directly to obtain their requirements. What the ITEC qualification does – is give you an easy mapping system to proof what was covered during your training, as our syllabuses for each qualification is available on our website www.itecworld.co.uk, if you click on each qualification.

The countries where we work currently are listed on our website, if you click on the globe on the right hand side of the website on the country all the schools will come up in each country – you can contact them directly.

Kind Regards,
I cannot make the world on the right hand side of their page open for me. I have written back and will get a useful link in the next few days, hopefully.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:03 am

Below you can find the list of countries where ITEC currently (as of this post) has registered colleges, in case you would like to contact them directly. (clickable links are on my blog.)
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • Canada
  • China
  • Cyprus
  • France
  • Ghana
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Kenya
  • Latvia
  • Lebanon
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Namibia
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Philippines
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saint Lucia
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Zimbabwe

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:41 pm

sooooo I'm looking for if you are already a CMT/LMT, what to do to get your ITEC certification? ( i see contacting embassy and county rules). not super excited about attending school after school but I'd do it since the husband is also looking like he will have an international career. ( with a stopover in Cali likely)

I am looking thru the syllabus you only have to get 50% to pass?!?! and the pathology section looks like cake.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm

oh I'm dumb....here's the answer for future airheaded moments....http://www.itecworld.co.uk/Apl/
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks for that link. I was wondering where it was!

Also, there are a few other ITEC bits of info you may need to know if you are taking the exams and want to practice in another country.

I took the Reflexology ITEC exams, and you can find more about how the process was for that, here.

There are a number of places online you can find ITEC study information. Keep this in mind:
When searching for ITEC information online, you may wish to google "ITEC papers" or "ITEC past papers". It seems that the exams are called "papers" in other countries, and if you search with an "American" vocabulary, you can miss other information that is on the internet about how these exams are handled.
Sometimes there is more than one "Unit" required to be passed to be qualified. So, if you can contact them to find out all of the units required for massage, it may be a good plan.

You may have to take the "Business Module" and the "A&P" module. If so, I detailed them in my Reflexology thread, so, I'll add that info here as cross-info.
Anatomy & Physiology

• 50 multiple choice question paper of 1 hour duration. There is one question followed by four alternative answers A, B, C or D. The student must indicate the correct answer by marking an ‘X’ over the appropriate letter in the box on the answer-sheets. There is only ONE correct answer. – grading at 50% with Pass (50-74%), Credit (75-89%) or Distinction (90% and above).

o Skin – 5 questions
o Muscular System – 5 questions
o Cells and Tissues – 5 questions
o Skeletal System – 5 questions
o Endocrine System – 5 questions
o Vascular System – 5 questions
o Lymphatic System – 5 questions
o Neurological System – 5 questions
o Reproductive System – 2 questions
o Digestive System – 3 questions
o Respiratory System – 3 questions
o Urinary System – 2 questions

• Link for A&P Syllabus: http://www.itecworld.co.uk/Syllabus/Uni ... llabus.pdf
• Link for A&P Syllabus (short version): http://www.itecworld.co.uk/Syllabus/Uni ... llabus.pdf
Professional Conduct and Business Awareness

• Combined paper of 1 hour duration of 25 questions each, with a total of 50 questions

o Financing and costing– 5 questions
o Retail – 5 questions
o Sales and Marketing – 10 questions
o Health, Safety and Hygiene – 20 questions
o Ethics – 5 questions
o Comunication – 5 questions

• Link for Business Practice for Complementary Therapies Syllabus: http://www.itecworld.co.uk/Syllabus/Uni ... llabus.pdf
• Link for Health, Safety and Hygiene for Complementary Therapies Syllabus:
http://www.itecworld.co.uk/Syllabus/Uni ... llabus.pdf
PS: I am PM'ing you with some more information.

Return to “Student Forum”