Frustrations with student clinic

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

crarant
Fresh Hands

Frustrations with student clinic

Post by crarant » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:48 am

I have been getting really frustrated for the past few weeks in student clinic because the feedback I've been getting from some clients indicates that they have very unrealistic expectations of what I will be able to do for them. Some examples are; the expectation that I can do a full body massage plus a lot of very specific work in a one hour session, the expectation that I can feel where all of their problem areas are (with extreme specificity) without them showing or telling me, and the expectation that I will know exactly what to do in the massage to help a specific condition (like arthritis) and/or can give them medical advice about what to do for it.

Is there any way to head off these expectations in the intake without knowing that they have them? Or is this just something you will run into?

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Frustrations with student clinic

Post by pueppi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 am

crarant wrote:I have been getting really frustrated for the past few weeks in student clinic because the feedback I've been getting from some clients indicates that they have very unrealistic expectations of what I will be able to do for them. Some examples are; the expectation that I can do a full body massage plus a lot of very specific work in a one hour session, the expectation that I can feel where all of their problem areas are (with extreme specificity) without them showing or telling me, and the expectation that I will know exactly what to do in the massage to help a specific condition (like arthritis) and/or can give them medical advice about what to do for it.

Is there any way to head off these expectations in the intake without knowing that they have them? Or is this just something you will run into?
These are most likely regular massage clients trying to get a cheap massage from a student clinic. Not massage clients trying to help the new students get better. It is a problem.

I would speak with my instructor and also formulate a script which entails that you are a student and still learning. Mention you have not graduated yer and you appreciate that the individual has come in to help you get though your final part of school. Since that is what this part of the education is for, you ask that they be flexible to understand that although this will be a good massage, it will not be the same or as seamless as a massage from a professional.

You may also wish to touch on the fact that this part of your education is meant to help you form a great swedish technique, something that you are still working on.

Hope this helps.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:59 am

Your teachers should be reading the feed back and giving you a better understanding on what a client is really looking for.

Here is my little tip. When you are talking to the client after reading their health history form ask them what areas they would like to be addressed. Start with that area first and let the client know depending on how long it takes to take care of their issue you will work on other areas of their body.

HandsDown
Fresh Hands

Post by HandsDown » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 am

The people that always give negative feedback, will still keep coming back for more. Some people are never satisfied and will always have something to say. I even know a few of our clients that like to give the new students a hard time :lol:

If you align expectations with reality, you will never be disappointed. - Terrell Owens

:altwink:

Marcus

Return to “Student Forum”