New student - trouble finding people to massage

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

Tilly
Fresh Hands

New student - trouble finding people to massage

Post by Tilly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:32 am

Hi, I have to rack up some hours outside school but I am finding this difficult. I don't know that many people in my area and I am struggling to get people to practice on. Most of the other students are in the same boat, most working full time as well as studying in the evenings, so working on each other is a problem. We are not available at the same time.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: New student - trouble finding people to massage

Post by pueppi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 am

That sounds like a tough situation.

Have you put together a sign up sheet which lists the days and hours each of you and your classmates are available for the next three weeks? Perhaps you can partner together better if it is in written format. You know sometimes it is just about what is most important to someone. If you are in a class of students who don't make time to get this rolling, then it is their loss.

Other options may be to contact a center such as a retirement center to see if they would let you come get some practice hours that way. I am not sure how insurance coverage would work in that situation or if it would be needed, since you won't be on campus. You should check with your school about that. And, I would certainly create a feedback sheet for each person to fill out that you worked on.

Do you live in an apartment or community where you can find a neighboor to work on every other day?

What about places where people volunteer, such as a mission or homeless shelter. Maybe they could make a way for you to work on some of their guests. Just talk to the school to see if they can give you credit and provide the shelter with the necessary coverage (insurance - if you have to have it).

In our city, we also have a place where homeless veterans can go to live once they get clean (no drugs/alcohol). A place like this may be an option too.

Have you asked the school how this has been handled in the past?

When you figure out what works, don't forget to come back and update the post, so others will know too!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by jdcan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Hmm. Adding to pueppi's suggestion of helping the guests, why not volunteer to help (and get helped by) the volunteers.
Win/Win, right?

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:20 pm

I know that at least one chiropractic college works with a local woman's shelter for their community outreach. Maybe your school can start something similar to this which would be helpful to everyone involved, even if it was limited to just a few therapists at a few times per year.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH
TCC has adopted the Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Inc., a nonprofit organization providing shelter for battered women and their children. TCC began weekly visits providing free services to the women and children at the shelter.

-=-

TCC & The Bridge Over Troubled Waters
The Moody Health Center at Texas Chiropractic College and The Bridge Over Troubled Waters (The Bridge), a non-profit group located in Pasadena that offers support, provides safety, and works to prevent domestic and sexual violence, have teamed up to offer chiropractic care to clients and staff of The Bridge. The care began April 18, 2012.

TCC has established a clinic within the walls of The Bridge’s new 100 bed facility, and MHC interns have the opportunity to rotate through this facility while providing care under the supervision of Dr. Amy Wright, attending clinician at MHC.

“The importance of our partnership with The Bridge cannot be overstated, as the physical (and of course emotional) effects of sexual and domestic violence can be devastating – and certainly long lasting – for those involved,” Dr. Barry Wiese, Dean of Clinics at TCC said
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

Tilly
Fresh Hands

Post by Tilly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Well just to let you know that I advertised to all my friends, colleagues on Face book. That got me four new massages :)

The problem I have is that I work full time, will also be starting clinic on Saturday's soon as well.

As far as insurance goes, we are insured at the massage school and during clinic but not outside of that, so this is a concern in any massages that I do outside of school.

moose_goose
Registered Member

Post by moose_goose » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Tilly wrote:Well just to let you know that I advertised to all my friends, colleagues on Face book. That got me four new massages :)

The problem I have is that I work full time, will also be starting clinic on Saturday's soon as well.

As far as insurance goes, we are insured at the massage school and during clinic but not outside of that, so this is a concern in any massages that I do outside of school.
both ABMP and AMTA offer insurance at a lower rate for students!
(or at least they did in the past, I haven't looked into it lately)

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Finding people to work on and fitting them in to your schedule are two different problems.

I'd suggest:
1. Identify times in your upcoming schedule that you would be available to do practice sessions.
2. Advertise those session times to recruit signups.

Lots of people jump on free student massages, so #2 should be quite successful.

One way to do this:
1. Pt the session times on a webpage (you could use a wordpress blog to do this easily) with your contact info
2. Put the URL on flyer tear-offs
3. Put the flyers up at the local health food stores and/or other places nearby.
4. Update the webpage regularly to remove booked appointment times and put up new ones

Tilly
Fresh Hands

Post by Tilly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Awesome advice, I really do need to be pro-active and would like very much to get a head start before finishing school.

A point to note is that in Australia, you have to completed Cert IV before you can do your Diploma (remedial). With the Cert IV I do, full body swedish, sports massage, a bit of NMT, pregnancy and seated.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:31 am

Tilly wrote:Awesome advice, I really do need to be pro-active and would like very much to get a head start before finishing school.

A point to note is that in Australia, you have to completed Cert IV before you can do your Diploma (remedial). With the Cert IV I do, full body swedish, sports massage, a bit of NMT, pregnancy and seated.
Tilly,

I'd love it if sometime you could go and put something in the County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics section about what it takes to get a massage license, dipolma etc. in AU, along with any general information and explanations of names such as "remedial" and how it relates to massage, in that thread.

We may already have a thread in there that has som information in it, so maybe you could add to a thread or start your own. Maybe we could get it stickied or something.

Or, maybe all of the active Australians on the board could work together to create a knowledge bank in a thread that would help us Amercians understand your system a little better and have a thread to review when we don't quite recall the rules/regs over there. :)

Plus, it may be helpful to anyone who may eventually move or immigrate to AU. :smt004

Tilly
Fresh Hands

Post by Tilly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi Pueppi,

Of course I can do that, I don't know many other Australian posters as I am relatively new to the forum but I will help in anyway I can. After all, this forum has given me so much useful information already :D

Return to “Student Forum”