What can do before becoming qualified

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

Tilly
Fresh Hands

What can do before becoming qualified

Post by Tilly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

I have until May and wondered about what I can do between now and then to give me a head start. As far as promoting myself or gaining experience, what could I do?

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Re: What can do before becoming qualified

Post by EgoMagickian » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm

If you are interested in private practice, start it now but offer free student practice sessions. Treat it all exactly the way you would if you were charging. When you graduate you'll transition to charging. But you'll hit the ground running because you've already been learning and practicing what works for you.

Tilly
Fresh Hands

Post by Tilly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Thank you for your advice, I will get on it :D

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am

Tilly wrote:I have until May and wondered about what I can do between now and then to give me a head start. As far as promoting myself or gaining experience, what could I do?
First, find out what you can legally do in Queensland, Australia. Do NOT start working, even for free, until you know for certain that it will not jeopardize your ability to be licensed, certified, or whatever the process is in your area.

Second, start exploring different types of working environments. Talk to working therapists about what their practices are like, and also talk to anyone they might be working for. Employers of MTs may give you a different type of advice/insight into what sort of working arrangement/environment you want to pursue.

Third, start saving some money. You may need to invest in supplies, advertising, licensing, insurance, and other expenditures related to professional practice and/or business ownership.

Fourth, look into working/volunteering at places that employ MTs or which might be open to having an MT in the future. For example, working as a receptionist at a gym, spa, massage center, or medical office will give you great relevant experience while you make some money. If they employ MTs, you'll get to see what their situation is like first-hand. Volunteering with a sports event or to help a team in some fashion may help you meet people that open doors for you to work with athletes. The possibilities are endless...
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 am

I've read a marketing and ethics book for MTs and it was very explicit about the fact that promoting yourself before you are licensed is NOT okay. I think the suggestions that Jason had of volunteering, saving money and talking to other MTs is the best advice.
you don't want to start out on the wrong foot even if it's with the best of intentions.

The book I read was "The Educated Heart"
http://www.amazon.com/The-Educated-Hear ... ated+heart
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

Return to “Student Forum”