Missouri Provisional License

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Missouri Provisional License

Post by alwayslearning » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

I applied for a front desk position at the spa I want to apply to after I sit for my test (In March), but they wanted to know why I didn't have a "Provisional License" so I could just work as a Therapist until I get my actual license. This confused me because I thought I had to actually pass the MBLEX/NCE before I could actually work. I did some research but only found that the license costs was $50 for "Provisional" I could not find a clear cut answer as to what it is, how you get it and if I'd be alright to obtain one and work until I sit for my test. Any help in figuring is out would be much appreciated.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Missouri Provisional License

Post by pueppi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Do you have the link you found the "Provisional" info on? If so, post it. Maybe if I read it, it will jog my thought process (or someone elses) to move along a useful path.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Post by alwayslearning » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:26 pm

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 pm

alwayslearning wrote: I did some research but only found that the license costs was $50 for "Provisional" I could not find a clear cut answer as to what it is, how you get it and if I'd be alright to obtain one and work until I sit for my test. Any help in figuring is out would be much appreciated.
Shoot, I think I would just call the phone number listed in the link you provided (http://www.amtamassage.org/regulation/detail/26). They should know. Have you tried that yet?
Regulatory board / Missouri State Board of Therapeutic Massage
Division of Professional Registration
3605 Missouri Blvd.
P.O. Box 1335
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Ph: (573) 522-6277
Fax: (573) 751-0735
E-mail: [email protected]
Missouri State Board of Therapeutic Massage
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Post by alwayslearning » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:51 pm

No I sure haven't. It's more of a curiosity than anything. I'm planning to take the m led in March so I feel like it'd be silly to fork out the money for that. I might go ahead and call just to know.

LadyNiko
Registered Member
Location: Somewhere on Planet Earth in an apartment ruled by 2 cats

Post by LadyNiko » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Okay, for the provisional license, you do NOT have to pass the board exam first - this is the license you get to work while you study to pass the board exam.

The state clerk is a really nice guy and will answer any questions you have, unlike the woman in charge of the board, who can't seem to get off her high horse.

Get your provisional license now - it takes forever to get the application processed, so by the time you go to take the exam, you should have it in hand.

(And, if you're any good at taking standardized tests, you'll do just fine on the exam because the answers aren't all that hard to figure out. :) )
The little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away! he he ho ho ha ha!

alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Post by alwayslearning » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:38 am

Oh okay. Thank you. That helps ALOT!!

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 am

Even if you don't want the "provisional license", it can't hurt to call and get the information. It's just a phone call away, so don't be too lazy to do it. It's not too hard to formulate and ask the questions to find out - if you are scared to ask and that is what is holding you back. They're not going to bite you.

And, when you get the information, please come back and write some detailed information as to how the process works within this thread so you can help other people who may need to know the information in the future.

JLWmassage has helped you a lot, but it doesn't mean that you can't also add information to this thread, since you will get it in its most recent form.

alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Post by alwayslearning » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 am

I have since called Missouri Dept for Massage and Bodywork back. The Provisional license is something anyone who has passes the education requirements can get for $50. They didn't say how long it lasts but he did say that it was only for while you wait to test. I also asked what the renewal looks like. For the MBLEX it will cost $100 (subject to change) every two yrs and there are 12h of continuing Ed required within those two years. I didn't know that so I thought is share. I hope this helps someone else too.

LadyNiko
Registered Member
Location: Somewhere on Planet Earth in an apartment ruled by 2 cats

Post by LadyNiko » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 pm

I want to say that the provisional license lasts like 3 mos.

I had sticker shock this time at the license renewal fee. :( I paid $50 in 2011 to renew my license and now, it's $100? I've been at this over five years now, I thought it was supposed to go down with the increase in time you've been licensed.

If the state wants $100 to renew my license, then I'm not doing it online this year - I'll just mail the form in and let them deal with the paperwork and safe myself the extra money that they want to charge for renewing it online.
The little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away! he he ho ho ha ha!

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:44 am

LadyNiko wrote:I had sticker shock this time at the license renewal fee. :( I paid $50 in 2011 to renew my license and now, it's $100? I've been at this over five years now, I thought it was supposed to go down with the increase in time you've been licensed.
I'm not in Missouri, but in Texas things always seem to go "up" every few years. I've never heard of license renewals diminishing in cost. Is that common in Missouri? --> That renewals go down (or used to go down) in price?

alwayslearning
Fresh Hands

Post by alwayslearning » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:13 pm

For anyone wondering I have an update on Provisional licensing in Missouri.
1st: You must satisfy the education and training requirements which are the exact same for the MBLEX and NCE.
2nd: Have your MBLEX or other licensing exam test date set.
3rd: Purchase Professional insurance. You may need to have your transcripts mailed to the company you choose, just to keep that in mind. It cost me $5.
4th: Have the finger scan and background check done. As of 2/26/13 that cost is $44.
5th: Pay the fee for the Provisional license which is $50, again as of the above date.

The reason why someone might get a PL (provisional license) is so that they can begin working as a Massage Therapist for a month or two until they take their licensing exam. It is my understanding that you can take your exam and fail and retake it while working with your PL so long as both tests fall within the time limit that your PL is active.

If you choose to get a Provisional License than once you pass your license exam the only fees you will need to pay for is your actual license, which in Missouri as of the date that this post was written is $100, fee to send your transcripts to your state, and proof of the insurance you already obtained.

Hope this helps someone. It took me a long time to get all of this information.

Return to “Student Forum”