Massage therapy / skin care? What do you think?

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

Elina
Fresh Hands

Massage therapy / skin care? What do you think?

Post by Elina » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

I am a Swedish girl who have lived in the US for almost 8 months now.

I have finally decided what I want to study!
Massage therapy and Skin care!

I have been interested in skin care for many years. I used to have a lot of problems with my skin as a teenager so I guess that's one of the reasons for my interest in skin care.

Massage therapy seems very interesting and awarding too. My father is a physical therapist, so it makes sence that massage seems like something I would be interested in.

I would like to study both, but I am not sure which one to start with!
I am thinking that massage therapy might be good to start with, to understand the anatomy etc. When I'm done with the massage program, I could work part time and study skin care part time. I want to work with both massage and skin care, and I think it is a good thing to get dual license for this. Am I thinking right? But one part of me wants to study skin care first. It's a dilemma!

Would it be wiser to start with massage therapy like I was thinking?
I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts about this, to help me decide!

Thanks! :)

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Massage therapy / skin care? What do you think?

Post by pueppi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Welcome to the forums! :smt006

I've got a few questions which may help us to help you a little better.

I was wondering if you could let me know if you plan to stay in the USA or if there is a possibility you will be returning to an EU country or moving outside of the States in the future.

It isn't necessary to discuss regarding which profession you choose to start with, but the answer may change the way you approach your education.

I do think you can start either profession first, without it being a big issue. Is there a part-time massage program you are interested in as well? Or, do you only have access to a part-time esthetics program?

Are you wanting to work for someone, or is your preference to establish your own business?

I don't think that you are going to learn too much in massage school that will give you a leg-up in the esthetics education. After all they are two different fields of study, with some basic components that overlap... skin, muscle, clients, client attitudes, professionalism.

If I had unlimited resources and time, I might be inclined to start with esthetics if that was my calling (which you seem to be gravitating to). That way, if your life drastically changes and you don't get an opportunity to get the dual license, at least you have worked toward what you are passionate about first. From the research I've done, it seems that the average esthetics course is around 600 hours. So, it ends up being about the same average amount as MT school.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Elina
Fresh Hands

Post by Elina » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks! :)

It is possible that I might move back to my home country in the future. But when, I do not know.

I either want to study massage therapy or skin care full-time.
I just thought that I after my graduation could go back to study the other profession while I'm working. Which one that will be, I haven't decided yet.

I want to work for someone else in the beginning, until I feel I have enough experience to start my own business later on.

I do feel a little bit more drawn to the skin care program for sure, but both of the programs seem very interesting, and it's hard for me to choose. I would like to get dual license though, if I could come up with the money.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 pm

If you think you may move back to Sweden in the future (even if the future is a long way off), then I think I would start off by looking into the country requirements to practice both esthetics and massage in Sweden.

If either of those reqs. are attainable in the USA and still allow you to practice in the states, I would try to locate a program that offered those reqs. in whichever field I found the information for, FIRST.

If you find out that the reqs. for both esthetics and massage in Sweden can be attained here in the states and will also allw you to work in the states, then it's just a matter of picking the one you like the best.

Of course, it is possible that you find out that the reqs. needed to practice in Sweden cannot be attained in the area you live in, and that could throw a huge cog in the wheels, but it's where I'd start. Then as you find cogs you can re-evaluate.

Do you mind telling us what state you are currently residing in?

Reqs. may always change, but I think if you can somehow get the basics for Sweden and the States in the same educational experience, it makes more sense, as you think you could possibly move in the future.

Also, if you do happen to look further into this, could you post the reqs. for practicing in Sweden, here, in our County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics Section. It could help save someone a little time in the future. :)

This forum member is from Sweden: SchedulingWizard - http://www.TimeCenter.com (provides schedule software for therapists)

And, this forum member from Sweden is an MT - Swedish

Here are two schools in Sweden which may be able to help you fnd out what the requirements are for practicing there:

International Beauty School of Sweden
Stockholm
112 21
Sweden
Tel: +46 8 6533641
Email: [email protected]
http://www.beautyschool.se

Are Spa School
Are
Sweden
Tel: +46 706090566
Email: [email protected]
http://www.arespaschool.se
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Student Forum”