I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 am

Just got my notice that COIMT accepted my admission packet this morning!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: *happy dance* :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by pueppi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 am

*does a happy dance with you* *joy joy joy*

:banana:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 am

hehehe dancing banana is even better. ;)
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Congratulations!

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks Marion! I love how all of my friends answer to me being accepted is " Oh free massage for me!" or "I'm gonna be practice right?" hehehe amusing.

Levi
Fresh Hands

Post by Levi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:28 am

Congrats,

They did not waste any time taking you on. Have fun and be a good classmate because you never know how your professionalism and small kindnesses in school will be repaid. Good luck!

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 am

hehehe Thanks Levi. I shall resist the urge to be "an insufferable know it all" ;)

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Congratulations, though it was about 16 years ago about this time that I was preparing to attend Massage School, I still remember the joy I felt at being accepted!

So, savor it, just for a little bit. Really bask in it.

Be In The Moment.

Because soon the real work starts... LOL

And then we'll be reading about your MT school graduation.

And we'll all look back on how far you've come!

It's a journey... enjoy every minute!
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you maestra. I'm doing my best to practice mindfulness. ;)

HappyKarma
Registered Member

Post by HappyKarma » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Congrats!
Have fun and enjoy the journey you are about to embark on! Finding yourself and being very observant to the craft of massage therapy will make all the studying you are about to do worth it in the end! Feel free to check in and keep us posted on your progress!

Namaste,
Johnny
"When life wrinkles you up,get a massage"

holley
Registered Member

Post by holley » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm with the dancing banana on this.....an opportunity to enrich the world.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Johnny! Thank you. :) I feel quite dedicated and ready for the challenge! I promise to keep you all posted. Doing my level best not to let nerves get the best of me...once i get there i am sure i will be fine.

holley
Registered Member

Post by holley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Well, it's been a year....would like to read an update.

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:15 pm

SO an update :smt006 ( good gods are you ready?) COIMT didn't have the hours necessary after checking with my home state (utah) and I couldn't stay in Colorado an entire year or two to get the hours necessary to transfer.
Taking classes to fill in the educational gaps would be like going to school all over again.
So I went to Boulder College of Massage Therapy (BCMT) and was accepted there after a long process. THEY CLOSED :shocked: ...twice- in September for good.

So I had to go find ANOTHER school. After basically searching all over the country and speaking to about 4 educational directors for respective states I found Bozeman, Montana's Healthworks Institute. The program is 1,000 hours and ran by BCMT's original education director( 10 years). I start This September. :grin:

Why do I have crazy requirements? Husband is an engineering master's student and won't stay in Utah to get his PhD/Masters. I don't know where we will live so I had to choose a school that had a program that would work for the educational requirements of the most states. except for New York, California and I think Hawaii the credits and educational requirements work for nearly all. I do this since I probably won't be working in Utah for the time necessary ( 2,000 hours ish) to transfer most licenses.

Talk about a journey. :massage: even before I start my formal education. :P

akashafive
Registered Member

Post by akashafive » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Wow! That was quite the journey, but congrats on sticking with it through all the challenges!

Question: If the course it 1000 hours though, why would it not work for NY? Is it just how they allocate the hours that doesn't mesh, or have they upped their required hours since I left the state?

Anyhoo, congrats again, and I look forward to more updates on your journey! :)
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:01 pm

NY has different education requirements...hour wise it may work out but the breakdown of what credits where is what gets you. Basically since I wouldn't have enough time to get the hours to transfer my license I have to rely on the education credits breaking down the right way So I can qualitfy in that STATE to take their exam/get license there.
Gods it's tedious.
I'm hell bent on becoming an MT. ;) It's truly what I want. Thanks! I'm hoping the universe will give me karma points for being so patient cause I'd been almost a 2 year journey just to GET to school. :P

holley
Registered Member

You are now...

Post by holley » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for the update, I admire your tenacity. With such determination, the world will be at your fingertips. I have a friend , Mike Eayrs, in Kalispell, MT who has/had a massage school. Wonder if he's still in business. In WI, when I first started massage,there were no licensing requirements, just put out a shingle and..voila!

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Holley- Hopefully it will get me somewhere. My biggest hurdle is I don't know where I am going to be living and working. I did look at Connecticut requirements last night just to see ( hubby has an application in with a company there).
Their reqs were that the school had to be recognized by the federal Education board OR COIMT with at least 500 hours. They didn't really say if there was an education breakdown that needed to be met or not, just that the school be recognized by one or the other and be at least 500 hours.
Things change so quick though. Utah just added a state exam to their requirements for licensing and upped their hours last year.
Doesn't look like there are any schools in Kalispell anymore :(

I'm gonna run to be on the national board after all this! lol

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:44 pm

So gald it is all working out for you, even though there has been such a huge time issue.

I hope you will write a post that includes all of the info you are carrying in your head, as to how things work for all of the states, that may help others who may be in your shoes in the future. A kind-of guide for the therapist who needs to go to school and have the best opportunity to cross the most state lines, sort of thing. :)

I can't wait to hear more from you as things go along. You're gonna be awesome!! :massage:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 pm

I will post about it for sure! No way am I keeping all this hard earned information to myself.
I realize I am in the minority. Most people do not travel out of state for a massage school and even more people don't travel out of state for Massage School and then move to an unknown location immediately after graduation!
But if others wish to do this- they should be able to!

I can do a blog post about it and if it's good enough you could put it on your toolbox blog Pueppi. If that will help :D

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 am

ColoradoKitsune wrote: I can do a blog post about it and if it's good enough you could put it on your toolbox blog Pueppi. If that will help :D
I love the idea! PM me and we'll do it when you are ready. No rush at all... the blog isn't going anywhere and you've got a lot on your plate. :)

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:20 am

yah. I also work in a lingerie shop and it's valentines day. It's a miracle I can form coherent sentences without mentioning bra size. :P haha

holley
Registered Member

Post by holley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:11 pm

My friend, Mike Eayrs, is still in business,
here's the info.

Massage training Institute Montana
1500 Airport Rd
Kalispell, Montana 59901
Phone (406) 250-9616
Email [email protected]
Website http://www.mtimontana.com

Luvin_Juggernaut
Fresh Hands

Post by Luvin_Juggernaut » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:17 pm

AWESOME!!! Congratulations! I start my training at my school on July 1st and I think we have the same amount of excitement!

EDIT: I just realized how old this thread is.

Return to “Student Forum”