...State licensing...Seriously?!

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

...State licensing...Seriously?!

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:16 am

K someone give me a hand. I was about to sign my agreement for school in Colorado a few days ago. I'm sitting down with the admissions officer and she checks Utah ( my home state) requirements just to be sure and they recently increased their hours from 500 to 600. Frustratingly this means I need to take the 850 program instead of the 550, but that's okay since it's more the training I wanted, just longer. No big, but we looked at the hourly breakdown academic requirements for Utah (trying to be thorough) and they are totally different, even though they are only 600 hours required.

I have yet to call the utah MT licensing board bu I am really frustrated! Do my hours have to match up? (example they require 40 hours of pathology and the school only provides 20) Utah accepts the mBlex test- does this wave the mismatch academic requirements? Would getting my Colorado license before I come back to utah make this transition easier?

HELP! this seems really stupid!!!
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

JLWmassage

Re: ...State licensing...Seriously?!

Post by JLWmassage » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 am

Most states that have state licensing are pretty strict about the amount of hours per subject. If you plan on working in Utah than I would suggest going to school there.

I had a friend that went to Salter college bc they offer an 1200 MT program, my state requires 650. She wanted to move to New York and New York wouldn't take her transcript from school bc none of the subject hours matched.

If you plan on moving and working in other states its important to understand how your transcript will transfer. This is a big flaw in our profession !

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:07 am

I really don't dig the schools in Utah. They don't really provide the type of programs I want and strangely enough it's more expensive to stay here for school. We also will only be here for 3-5 years more and the Husband's career is highly mobile, so mine needs to be too. I am now looking at Boulder College of Massage Therapy which claims it's 1000 and 1320 hour programs are accepted in 48 states and many countries. It's really important that I get the right schooling upfront.

I know it's a cluster dealing with different states. :(
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.-Carl Sagan

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 am

ColoradoKitsune wrote:I really don't dig the schools in Utah. They don't really provide the type of programs I want and strangely enough it's more expensive to stay here for school. We also will only be here for 3-5 years more and the Husband's career is highly mobile, so mine needs to be too. I am now looking at Boulder College of Massage Therapy which claims it's 1000 and 1320 hour programs are accepted in 48 states and many countries. It's really important that I get the right schooling upfront.

I know it's a cluster dealing with different states. :(

If this is true. Then I would get it in writting, then I would call a bunch of states boards to see it is really true. Don't trust that these know what's going on in other states ! Many abmission people will say what they need to say to get students in the door.

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Boulder College of MT is at least nationally famous. One of my original MT instructors (16 years ago) was a graduate of Boulder College of MT. My teacher got Shiatsu training through BCMT also.
And I had a Whiplash course that was taught by Clint Chandler from BCMT and Diana L. Thompson (Hands Heal) years ago.
But you definitely want to have your training be as "portable" as possible.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Maestra, I thought you said you GOT whiplash from the course taught by BCMT people. ;) I know they are really well respected and highly academic. which has a very nice appeal but just making sure they actually match up is gonna be the tricky part. I'm worried about what JWL said about her friend ...
I had a friend that went to Salter college bc they offer an 1200 MT program, my state requires 650. She wanted to move to New York and New York wouldn't take her transcript from school bc none of the subject hours matched.
I know the answer to this is probably no but if if you have extra of the hours required ( like 80 pathology where the req is 40) will they still not count it? this seems kind of 'duh' but the ins and outs are making my head spin. how does anyone move in this country and practice MT.

I am going to call utah boards tomorrow and see if they can help. I expect to be on hold for several hours. :P I suppose i can call other states as well but i really have no idea where we would end up and i dont want to cater to just utah for 4-5 years of work. ya know? I know the vagabond life doesn't really suite here. ..but it is what it is.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:38 am

Please let us know all of the parameters when you find out, and maybe put a link to this thread in the "County, State & Country Requirements, Legislation and Politics" section.

It is my understanding that if a state has a specific "amount of hours in a subject" that they won't bend on that.

BTW, I met a wonderful therapist from Boulder this past week. If you would like, I can try to get you both connected. PM me, if that is of use.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

ColoradoKitsune
Registered Member

Post by ColoradoKitsune » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:36 am

Pueppi- I will let you know. I'm gonna call in an hour or two here.

Return to “Student Forum”