New Massage Therapy Student Observations

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

newmtstudent
Fresh Hands

New Massage Therapy Student Observations

Post by newmtstudent » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Hello BodyworkOnline.com members!
I am grateful for all the information that I have found about massage on your site. I am a 50 year old male, married and interested in massage as a career.
I have been on a spiritual path for most of my life which culminated in leaving my corporate job that was literally killing me back in 2008. Since that time I have enjoyed writing about and photographing my adventures on my motorcycles and authored a book about Lakota Spirituality.
In 2010 I was diagnosed with a rare disease that two of the best hospitals in the U.S. told me was incurable, but treatable with chemo and radiation. I went to a friend who is a medicine man and gave him tobacco, as protocol dictates, and said I would do whatever it takes to recover. Bear with me here. Long story short, after a few ceremonies I am in remission.
What this made me realize was that the body can heal on its own with the right guidance and methods, without dangerous drugs or treatments. Last summer I attended a one day healing workshop taught by Echo Bodine in Minnesota. She is a wonderful teacher. She said that we were all healers, 'cause people that don't believe wouldn't be at a healing workshop otherwise. Long story short (again) as soon as I got home, I got a call that a friend had crashed his motorcycle. His wife said my face popped up when she thought of someone to help. Unbeknownst to me, she had begun practicing Reiki a few months prior. We both worked on him with me putting my hands on and her doing Reiki. He recovered quickly and was soon out of the hospital to finish mending. Soon after, I was at my Fathers hospital bedside helping him recover post surgery. Within the month it was another hospital setting helping my wife recover from a knee replacement.
In each case, the people I worked on reported strange things happening: bears in the room; dreams while my hands were on them; the medicine man from a continent away popped in in spirit because I had asked for help in healing my wife.
10 years ago I would have called B.S. on all of this. I was more of an engineer type who believed in facts and figures, black and white answers, no hocus-pocus stuff.
So my plan was to get a massage license to augment my "healing hands" and open a spa or studio someplace nice and warm and away from the frozen Midwest.
Then I started reading the blogs. Echo Bodine had warned the men in our workshop about transference from female clients who would confuse their recovery with
sexual feelings. I feel at this age I can control my desires and needs and keep them away from a professional practice.
After researching the blogs here I am not so sure about progressing further down the LMT path. There seems to be lots of complications for men who are MT's. Sexual transference from males and females, perverts, and people male and female who have deep seated psychological issues that have never been addressed seem to find themselves as victims on the table and take issue with the MT. I was amazed at one post where a student took offence at another student who was giving a student massage but never said stop, that hurts, quit it or anything. Even after being asked if everything was ok. She said she would never allow another man to touch her after she had been tortured for an hour. The problem was with her unattended to trauma from a rape, not the poor student trying to give her a massage.
I also seem to pick up on other students physical and emotional vibes and feel them internally. On our massage demo final, the student working on me was nervous and shallow breathing. I told him to stop, breathe and relax and his stomach would relax. He looked at me like I was nuts, but took some deep breaths and did fine.

newmtstudent
Fresh Hands

Re: New Massage Therapy Student Observations

Post by newmtstudent » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:32 pm

(continued) As you can see I have been thinking about this quite a bit. I just finished the introductory class and did enjoy learning the Swedish Massage technique taught by my local community college. It is very professional, with codes of conduct, dress and academics. There is no bullying, lewd comments, stinky students or any problems that I have seen with the conduct of the class on the part of students or instructors.
So I am faced with weather to continue to learn the craft or not to continue the education. I feel I can do the job. But I wonder about the unknowns. My dream would be to become a LMt and open a spa or studio on a beach in a foreign central American country. The reality might be to work in a warm southern or southwestern U.S. state to get out of the Midwest.
I know this has turned into a ramble and thanks to anyone who has stuck with this post. I trolled here since January or so and have learned tons.
Also, is it against protocol to name schools? I took my intro class at Illinois Valley Community College. The class starts in a YEAR! I am considering going to Sedona, Arizona for a five month study at Sedona School of Massage. Has anyone attended or heard anything about their program. I know that licensing in the U.S. is pretty much state specific. It could finally get me out of Illinois.
Thank you for your patience

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:20 pm

After researching the blogs here I am not so sure about progressing further down the LMT path. There seems to be lots of complications for men who are MT's. Sexual transference from males and females, perverts, and people male and female who have deep seated psychological issues that have never been addressed seem to find themselves as victims on the table and take issue with the MT.

I don't think there are a lot of complications with male therapists. But, I do think there are a number of problems that can present themselves with un-professional male therapists. And also with unprofessional female therapists.
newmtstudent wrote:So I am faced with weather to continue to learn the craft or not to continue the education. I feel I can do the job. But I wonder about the unknowns.
I think there will always be unknowns. If you have a firm foundation and understand your boundaries, then when an "unknown" presents itself, you can to make a decision as to how you will deal with it, depending on the category/realm it falls under. Basically --- just like the rest of life. Becoming a professional bodyworker means you are a professional.

Also, is it against protocol to name schools? I took my intro class at Illinois Valley Community College. The class starts in a YEAR! I am considering going to Sedona, Arizona for a five month study at Sedona School of Massage. Has anyone attended or heard anything about their program. I know that licensing in the U.S. is pretty much state specific. It could finally get me out of Illinois.
Feel free to search this forum, School & Curriculum Discussion for information on schools, and once you get some documentation you can put together for others, please add to those forums to help others.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Levi
Fresh Hands

Post by Levi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi Newmtstudent,

I am a male too, and started an encore career in MT in my 60's. There are not as many complications as you might think for males, but there are some offsetting challenges. Its largely a woman's profession. So, prepare well, learn proper draping techniques, avoid incidental physical contact, communicate clearly, and talk to clients as truthfully and sparsely as possible and you will be fine. Its not rocket science.

If you are a student now, I would advise that you just jump in and start doing student massages. The more you participate in giving massages, the better your understanding will be for how a professional career in massage will satisfy you. At about the 100 hour mark, things should be fairly clear to you. Good luck!

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Based on your first few posts, it sounds like you would rather be a spiritual healer/shaman instead of a massage therapist. Why not pursue that instead?
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

newmtstudent
Fresh Hands

Post by newmtstudent » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm

Thank you for the quick replies and the intelligent advice. Also thanks for pointing out the schools section.
I guess part of my idea of going with the LMT path is that I would have some legitimacy while pursuing the
healing hands path. Also it would let me into continuing education classes that I would like to attend. While on vacation
I got a massage that included some Mayan Abdominal Massage. My "o my. When my MT gently pushed on my abdomen
there was a wellspring of emotion that spontaneously occurred that surprised me. I told her right then to just hold on a second.
She respected my need to pause, let me settle down a bit and continued. That happened a couple of times, She had just worked on my wife in the previous session and had done the technique on her also, and had returned her uterus back to where it is supposed to be. We discussed the effect after my session and she acknowledged that my reaction was fairly common. My wife said she felt much better after also. So part of my wish to pursue the MT was to someday take the Mayan Abdominal Therapy course so I would have that in my healing bag of tricks too.
Once again THANK YOU for the stimulating discussion.

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Post by MTSI » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:08 pm

the only thing I would add is to ensure you have sufficient liability insurance. this is particularly important for male practitioners given the inherent "risk" in the profession
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

Return to “Student Forum”