Survey homework help

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

Dain1991
Fresh Hands

Survey homework help

Post by Dain1991 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 pm

i've been assigned to ask a MT who works with or specializes in the special population spectrum (ex; athletes, senior citizens, cancer patients etc.) if this is you and have a few minutes to answer some questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. what special population do you work with and are you certified in this area?

2. issues you have dealt with + or - related to the population?

3. what additional techniques do you wish you had learned before working with the special population?

4. what positions or techniques do you use?

5. how do you feel they benefit from the massage?

6. how do you benefit from working with them?

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Survey homework help

Post by pueppi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 am

Hi Dain1991,

It looks like you've had a few people check out your request, but no takers. I'll give you a short and simple to get the ball rolling, as I am in a bit of a hurry. If you need more details, just PM me and I'll get back to you next week. :)

Dain1991 wrote: 1. what special population do you work with and are you certified in this area?
I work with people who have specific neck pain and headache issues.

I also work with athletes (but will talk about the head/neck for this questionairre).

I do not have certification in either area.

2. issues you have dealt with + or - related to the population?
Head neck issues are mainly migraine headache, TMJ pain and neck/shoulder pain due to clients who commute and compute. ;)

Issues that are positive to the population:
  • I get to sit for a lot of my work, as I use a rolling stool at the ehad of the table for much of the neck work.
  • Especially with migraines, once they start to dissipate it is a joy to see a new person, who begins to live a more full lifestyle.
Issues that are negative to the population:
  • People will occasionally come into the office in severe pain. I feel bad for the client when they hurt terribly.
  • Sometimes people can be a little "short" when talking to me, if they have never seen me before and don't know if massage may be beneficial or not.

3. what additional techniques do you wish you had learned before working with the special population?
I would have loved to have been able to have taken the Rolfing or Structural Integration coursework at the time. However, looking back on it now, had I been aware of Feldenkrais, it would have probably been a better fit for my long-term practice with these clients.

4. what positions or techniques do you use?
Most all of my neck and head work is performed face up. I use such a blend of work that it is hard to describe. However, this post will help best with that: http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... al#p186021

I use a blend of deep swedish, deep tissue and movement work as a general rule. Occasionally I will use some skin stretching and manual lymphatic drainage work.

This will be a useful link for you in the future, if you are interested in finding out more about lymphatic work: Chikly Method (LDT) / Vodder Technique (MLD)

5. how do you feel they benefit from the massage?
Well, most state that they have less headaches, less TMJ issues, and generally feel better after a few sessions.

6. how do you benefit from working with them?
I really love my practice. I benefit from the client, by feeling as though I was able to help make a difference in that person's life.

11/03/13 - typo corrections.
Last edited by pueppi on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:21 am

Dain1991,

How many MT's do you need to interview?

Dain1991
Fresh Hands

Post by Dain1991 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:28 am

just the one and thank u again you are awesome