Can i be a therapist if i have carpal tunnel?

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

amandany13
Fresh Hands

Can i be a therapist if i have carpal tunnel?

Post by amandany13 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Hi all.. I was just wondering if someone in the field could tell me realistically and honestly if I would be able to be a massage therapist if I have capital tunnel syndrome? I know it will be challenging but is CTS an automatic deal breaker? I really have my heart set on massage therapy as a career but before I take out a loan and begin schooling I want to make sure I'm making the right choice..

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Can i be a therapist if i have carpal tunnel?

Post by jdcan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 am

Stop doing the activities that are contributing to carpal tunnel.

Find a massage therapist who really knows how to work the neck to forearm muscles, someone with more advanced training in that area than basic massage school. After going for a few sessions focusing on that area and feeling results, ask if she would walk you through giving a 30 minute massage to someone else. If you don't get some pain relief after 3 (possibly even just 30 minutes) sessions, find someone else. Ask if they have continuing education focused on pain relief for carpal tunnel.

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Re: Can i be a therapist if i have carpal tunnel?

Post by MTSI » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:38 pm

great response from JDCan. the good news is that your condition is curable. there are also exercise mechanisms to help get stronger in this area. I also know some therapists that use tools like Kneaders to assist in their practice. I am not suggesting you do this, although you can. the best approach is to ensure you are physically fit and taken care off. this is the only way you can take care of your clients.
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

Return to “Student Forum”