Hours of hands-on training?

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

AngelaS
Fresh Hands

Hours of hands-on training?

Post by AngelaS » Mon May 26, 2014 5:47 pm

Hello! I'm a new massage therapy student. I just started in a brand new massage program a couple of weeks ago where I am their first and only student. Minnesota does not have any requirements for licensing yet, so I am aware education experiences may vary. My program is 600 hours total training. What I am wondering is if people could share with me how many hours they had hands on with an instructor for training and how many hours of hands-on training total they had before they were allowed to begin clinicals/working on the public? So far, I have had 1 hour with the instructor and about 4 hours with students hands on, and they are expecting me to take appointments with the public as part of my training (but no teacher oversight except before and after the massage) this week, and this seems absolutely ridiculous to me and not appropriate at all.

maestra
Site Admin

Re: Hours of hands-on training?

Post by maestra » Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm

AngelaS, first off let me say that my training was in Wisconsin, and my training was 650 hours. 17 years ago @ this time, I was in MT school.
And I was one of 10 students in my class, 8 females, 2 males... and it was "night school" from 4:30-9:30 Tues/Wed/Thurs and All day Saturday... and sometimes Sundays too (intensives).
The first 13 weeks the first hour or two per night we learned the muscles & bones. Afterwards we'd learn massage techniques for an area of the body. For instance we started with the learning the leg bones & muscles, then we learned how to massage the posterior leg.
We were allowed to practice on classmates & other schoolmates, as well as our friends and family as we learned each area of the body... but we were not allowed to receive money for our work. Eventually we were able to put the different body parts together and get some "flow" to our massage...
But it was not until the 2nd block (15 weeks) that we started doing a complete massage on paying clients (for the school, the students were not paid & were not allowed to receive tips). For us however, only Saturdays in that 2nd block (15 wks) were clinic hours.
Does that help you any?
Perhaps you should speak to the instructor, and let them know you don't "feel ready"... maybe they can suggest something that might help, like maybe a mentor?
You don't mention where you are attending school, so can I assume it's not a MT school?
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

AnythingButVanilla
Fresh Hands

Post by AnythingButVanilla » Thu May 29, 2014 5:49 am

I had about 18 hours of training in school and had to do 80 hours of practice outside of school. The American training is so much more intensive and I think that that's probably better as I've been qualified since September last year and still feel I know absolutely nothing!

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:00 am

AngelaS wrote:I'm a new massage therapy student. I just started in a brand new massage program a couple of weeks ago where I am their first and only student.

<snip>

So far, I have had 1 hour with the instructor and about 4 hours with students hands on...

<snip>

...and they are expecting me to take appointments with the public as part of my training (but no teacher oversight except before and after the massage) this week...
AngelaS,

I apologize in advance, for not quite understanding your post. If I can clear up a few questions first, that would be great.

Do I read right that you are in a MT program as the *ONLY* student. You started the program about two weeks ago (as of your post on May 27, 2014) and the school wants you to work on the general public starting sometime during the second week of June 2014?

And, if you are the only student, what students did you get your 4 hours of hands-on work with?

It is my opinion that you should not be working on the public without any training. It sounds like they are taking advantage of you and doing you and the public a disservice. Is there any way you can get your money back and find another school to transfer into?

I'm a bit like maestra, in that it was a long time ago when I was in school. At the time, the state only required 300 hours. I can't recall how many hours of Swedish work we had, but it seems like it was about 125 hours of in-class hands-on work. We would practice on our fellow students during practical coursework. The teacher would demonstrate on a student, we would watch, and then we would work on our partner to complete that sequence. The teacher would come around, watch and correct as needed.

As we learned more, we would build sequences.
  • First, it was just how to do the strokes.
  • Then it was all of the strokes on a back.
  • Then it was all of the strokes on a back and one leg.
  • Then it was some of the strokes on a back and both legs.
  • Then it was a timed hour for the back, arms and legs.
  • Then when we moved to turning the client, and it was a timed hour for the back, arms, legs and feet.
  • They just kept adding body parts until we were able to complete a full body massage within an hour. They were always checking and correcting.
We would discuss and write out ideas of sequencing (by the minute/segment), as well as what we could have done differently or better in our prior massage. The "client" would always let the "therapist" know what they liked and didn't like during the debriefing which helped to build a better massage.

We did not work on the public until we completed all of our didactic and hands-on training. It was the very last portion of the education. So, if you were to work on the public with the same timing, I would think that would be in about 4-6 months, depending on your school schedule.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Post by MTSI » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:31 pm

AngelaS wrote:Hello! I'm a new massage therapy student. I just started in a brand new massage program a couple of weeks ago where I am their first and only student. Minnesota does not have any requirements for licensing yet, so I am aware education experiences may vary. My program is 600 hours total training. What I am wondering is if people could share with me how many hours they had hands on with an instructor for training and how many hours of hands-on training total they had before they were allowed to begin clinicals/working on the public? So far, I have had 1 hour with the instructor and about 4 hours with students hands on, and they are expecting me to take appointments with the public as part of my training (but no teacher oversight except before and after the massage) this week, and this seems absolutely ridiculous to me and not appropriate at all.
Angela, are you in an accredited massage therapy school? Hands on instruction is typically in the hundreds of hours, and you need a lot more classroom hours before you can practice hands on. Interesting to hear your experience. My guess is that it is a private school that has just started and still trying to figure out the standards that it wants to establish? Happy to answer any other student/school related questions you may have.
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

Return to “Student Forum”