When do you use the side-lying position? And body mechanics!

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

aloha_student
Fresh Hands

When do you use the side-lying position? And body mechanics!

Post by aloha_student » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:56 pm

We started a pre-natal massage portion at school, and I was excited to acquire a new tool by having the client in the side-lying position, but now I'm not sure. Many of the strokes we were taught are done with the hand in a claw-like position (all fingers flexed) with firm pulling instead of pushing. It really hurts my hands! I am new to massage, but I also noticed that the instructor for this portion has really arthritic hands. She said it's worth it for the sake of great massage. I hate to admit that it's actually not worth it to me. I love massage but I don't want arthritic fingers.

Is this technique ok in terms of body mechanics - pulling back very firmly with flexed fingers? If you use the side-lying position for massage other than pre-natal, how and why do you use it? I had all kinds of ideas going through my head during the demonstration of great uses for athletes who use lats and traps a lot (especially for getting at the insertion of lats and teres major), but after an hour or so of demonstrating I guess it all diffused away and I was at a loss when I got a body in front of me.

Breathe
Registered Member

Re: When do you use the side-lying position? And body mechan

Post by Breathe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:39 pm

She said it's worth it for the sake of great massage.
I'm trying to think of a diplomatic way to put this.

Nope. I can't.

No. No no no no. NO!

In my opinion one of the most important things a therapist can learn is not to "sacrifice" to deliver "what the client needs."

What a client needs is for the therapist to have boundaries that they can trust. If the therapist is incapable of respecting her own body, and is willing to compromise her body to prioritize the client, her boundaries are untrustworthy.

Healthy boundaries in this regard, will mean that the therapist has the confidence to refer out, when it will most benefit the client.

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Regarding the flexed fingers, it's a useful technique. Your strength will build up, and if your bone structure is compatible with that position, it might be worth adding to your repertoire.

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by jdcan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:24 am

aloha_student wrote: She said it's worth it for the sake of great massage.
Really? :shock:

If you have to do the flexed fingers stroke for class, practice relaxing fully your non-stroking hand (assuming you alternate left, right, left, right,) even if just for 2 seconds.

Return to “Student Forum”