When you massage the glutes....

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

[email protected]
Registered Member

Re: When you massage the glutes....

Post by [email protected] » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:16 pm

And a side note, I loved hearing about this "caring stroke", I have never heard or seen this technique from any teacher or any book, but it sounds heavenly! I would love to put movable side table extenders on my table and be able to do a long stroke from the toes to the tips of the fingers! Maybe I will try this with someone supine on the floor and work the lateral sides of the body in one long swoosh!

This also sounds like it could be incorporated into an ashiatsu massage, possibly with both feet working the body at once? Amazing thought!!!

Ditto to trying this during a 4 handed massage! 2 therapists, 2 caring strokes down each side of the body to the neck? I think I am drooling.. lol :smt007
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

remedy0919
Fresh Hands

Post by remedy0919 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 am

I am new to the Massage Therapy Program. I started school in Nov 12 and will finish up in July 13. I was nervous about massaging the "Glutes" because I was not comfortable doing it in a session. While working with classmates, I asked one to massage my glutes and it felt great! After a few sessions in class I decided to take what I've felt and learned to the student clinic. It was a older lady around the age of 50. After she was on the table and relaxed I asked her if I could lower her underwear to the base of her glutes to work her lumbar and sacrum areas and she said yes. Some of you feel akward asking that question, but it's all about the approach that you take in doing so. Make sure you explain to them why you are lowering their underwear. I did not ask her if she wanted glute work, but after our session was over she replied "That was Great! I've never had a massage so thorough, I loved it!" Although everyone is different, I take the same approach with every client and no one has had any complaints! I don't want to cheat my clients from their treatment so I try to cover the entire body without being invasive and communication is key to that.

MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by MarionFM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 am

I loved everything about your post - except the bit about 'an older lady' of about 50!!!!

rwhoski
Fresh Hands

Post by rwhoski » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 am

I was taught in school to just work the gluteal region and not to discuss it overly and make it awkward. In my practice I don't ask before I work on the glutes, I simply consider them part of a sciatic issue or lower back and hip pain. If I were massaging in a spa type environment things might be different but when we get in depth into pain treatment the glueals simply can't be ignored.

truepeacenik
Registered Member

Post by truepeacenik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:12 am

I massage over the sheet or over the clothing.
Not really a great glide, but good for deep work.

I'm another one who would never ask a client to move clothing during session.
Or jewelry. I ask for necklace and bracelet/watch removal, joking that I have broken a chain. ( I have, actually, back in school)

Return to “Student Forum”