Breast Massage.......what to expect

A place for students to post their questions and concerns.

Moderator: squash_blsm

shane
Registered Member

Breast Massage.......what to expect

Post by shane » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:29 am

My class is having breast massage on Tuesday. Just wondering what to expect, if anyone has done this while in school. I dont know why but Im kinda nervous/embarassed at the thought of having to show my bare breast.......yes, even after 5months, but still......

Pygmalion
Fresh Hands

Post by Pygmalion » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:47 am

We never did this at my school, as innovative as they are. I would be interested to what you think of the experience.

I have a friend in school with a double masectomy and reconstructive surgery (tissues taken from her abdomen). I have done some great pec and abdominal massage, which has worked wonders for the scar tissue. She is open to breast massage so I would be interested in learning more.

Enjoy the opportunity!
Lynn
"I feared change, until I saw that the most beautiful butterfly had to undergo a metamorphosis before it could fly."

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:33 am

This is one of the few areas where I would say, if you feel you do not wish to receive the techniques, exercise your right to refuse. It IS a great opportunity, and most likely will be handled with sensitivity by your instructors, but do keep in mind at all times that your body is yours, and not at the mercy of any "shoulds."
-Beccy

Breathe
Registered Member

Post by Breathe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:56 pm

BJB-LMP wrote:This is one of the few areas where I would say, if you feel you do not wish to receive the techniques, exercise your right to refuse. It IS a great opportunity, and most likely will be handled with sensitivity by your instructors, but do keep in mind at all times that your body is yours, and not at the mercy of any "shoulds."
I agree wholeheartedly with this, but would like to add that some schools (mine was one,) make it an absolute requirement of graduation that this class is attended. However, unless it is in your local legislation, or specifically spelled out in your student agreement, a student has a right to refuse to participate in breast massage, as long as it is an insignificant part of the overall curriculum they are declining.

I personally do not agree with making breast massage a requirement. The needs of students who may feel this is too invasive, cannot possibly be addressed completely in a classroom setting.

If I were in school now, I would do it differently and refuse to participate in this unit. I felt rather violated at the time, but acted like everything was fine because I didn't want anyone to think I had a problem with being "open-minded" regarding letting my classmates touch my breasts. "After all, it's just tissue." It had very little value, and did not fit at all into the curriculum in an appropriate manner, IME. It may be different at your school, but trust your gut.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:34 pm

In my school the class on breast massage was optional. Also instead of everyone exchanging as normal, one volunteer (me in this case) was worked on by the instructor with the students observing and occassionally palpating the tissue to see the changes that occured.

While it was slightly embarrassing when I "dropped my top" the whole thing was handled in a dignified manner.

Also it was done at the very end of school, so that helped.

Angie

HappyKarma
Registered Member

Breast massage-- beneficial and therapeutic

Post by HappyKarma » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:10 pm

I participated in this segment in school, and actually learned alot of useful techniques- the muscles are there for the need of work, so why not be able to work on them w/out problems? With proper therapeutic draping and consideration for modesty of the client, effective and beneficial work can be performed with any major concerns. But if the client objects, respect their wishes. I often do some hot stone work on the chest muscles to loosen them, with client's direct permission of course. Overall, I never meet much resistance when doing this work- if the client desires it, I will do what best helps the client.

Blessings and Light-
Johnny
"When life wrinkles you up,get a massage"

Pygmalion
Fresh Hands

Post by Pygmalion » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:41 pm

BJB-LMP wrote:This is one of the few areas where I would say, if you feel you do not wish to receive the techniques, exercise your right to refuse. It IS a great opportunity, and most likely will be handled with sensitivity by your instructors, but do keep in mind at all times that your body is yours, and not at the mercy of any "shoulds."
I agree, if you do not feel comfortable, speak with your instructors...I had a hard time with receiving abdominal massage, I realized it was not my body image issues that made it difficult, but it was where emotions lie. Breast massage would be difficult as well especially with the abuse issues that can arise. The course however, could use "models" and still cover a valuble topic.
Lynn
"I feared change, until I saw that the most beautiful butterfly had to undergo a metamorphosis before it could fly."

tlcdoula
Registered Member

Post by tlcdoula » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:46 pm

When I was in school we regularly received breast massages, but we NEVER bared our entire breasts. Instead we would drap the breast and massage the upper portion and then drap that portion and undrap the lower portion and massage that area. No one in my class was uncomfortable at all because not once was anyone laying there completely topless.

Those of you that did breast massage are you saying you were laying there completely bare breasted?
Michelle

RMT2007
Fresh Hands

Post by RMT2007 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:11 pm

We also did breast massage at my school. And I was pretty nervous at first. We had the option of having the massage but we didn't have the option of performing the massage. We also had the option of being draped or undraped. I went for undraped and also had TWO male practitioners working on me. (one at a time of course) Anyways, the point is it wasn't TOO traumatizing. And the point of the strokes we used was to mobilize the fascia over top of pecs and allow the lymph to move, we didn't focus on the muscle itself.

As long as you're comfortable with who is doing the massage and are comfortable choosing draped or undraped ( you should most definitely have the option!) then I think everything should go well. But if you're not comfortable with it you have the right to say no, regardless of what school you're in.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:00 pm

It's rare that I would find a video to go with a thread like this, but I ran across this today... I don't know if it is a good video or not, but someone may be interested all the same: http://www.videoshelf.com/massage.htm
Therapeutic Breast Massage

In this instructional DVD, expert massage therapist, Meade Steadman walks you through the technique for providing massage on the upper torso and the concerns surrounding breast massage. Massage on the breast area and underlying musculature is necessary for providing full body work on a woman, and it provides for better alignment, posture, and relaxation, as well as helps address back pain. Meade demonstrates how to provide draped and undraped massage on two models, one with natural breasts and one with augmented breasts. He also discusses breast physiology, musculature, lymphatic drainage, cancer, client preparation, client comfort, and legal considerations. "Received Bronze Telly Award 2008" (1 Hr. 48 Mins.)

1 Hr. 48 Mins.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

holley
Registered Member

Bare to the bone

Post by holley » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Being comfortable in our own skin,and helping others be comfortable in theirs, is the sine qua non of bodywork.
It has little to do with eroticized body parts and everything to do with the needs of those we work on.
In receiving ,we learn how to give.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."

Return to “Student Forum”