'Absorbing' energies, being grounded, etc.

Reiki practioners and other energy workers, here's your chance to discuss all matters relating to your modality. Instant Karma and Chakra balancing to be found within!

Moderators: Talenyn, riversinger

Re: 'Absorbing' energies, being grounded, etc.

Postby Heron on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:34 pm

Hi,<br>For me the biggest part of not absorbing another persons negativity is recognizing what is and isn't Mine.<br>There have been times when I was overwhelmed with grief while working on someone, really overpowering to where I had tears in my eyes, but knowing it wasn't My grief, I kind of let it pass through me, let gravity pull it down to the earth to get recycled into something fresh.  I've also picked up peoples anxiety and jitteryness, and then I take a few deep breaths and calm myself down.<br><br>I like when people fall asleep on the table.  Especially when they've been snoring for a few minutes then they say "oh I almost dozed off"  I figure they must need it.<br>I've heard some MT's brag that no one ever falls asleep on them, because their clients are so involved giving feedback and etc.  I think it's just one of those style differences.  Not everyone wants or needs to be giving constant feedback.  What many people seem to need most is that deep relaxation, and if they are so comfortable and relaxed that they fall asleep, I would take it as a compliment.  <br>If you were "sapping" their energy they would be more likely to feel dizzy or nauseous than to drift comfortably to sleep.  <br>Most of the massages I've slept through I've been aware at least on some level of the massage work and enjoyed it.<br> ;D<br>Thanks
Heron
Fresh Hands

Postby melb on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:55 pm

And I'd just like to point out it can all go the other way too - the therapist's energy can knock the client - I think they don't usually end up making massage a career (limited repeat business?), but you may encounter them at school.  I remember being worked on by someone at school  I just found annoying, afterwards I ended up throwing up, which I usually only do when VERY sick.  It was just the one "expulsion" and afterwards I felt fine.  I found out later they had had a kidney transplant and were on high dose organ rejection drugs, so maybe it was just that upsetting their energy field, but my body really didn't like it.
melb
Registered Member

Postby Gwen on Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:31 am

Hi,<br>I'm new to this forum, but not new to energy work (15 years of it!) so I thought no one would mind if if put my two cents in.  :)<br>If the therapist stays grounded and centered throughout the session then the  "icky" stuff just gets ground out and the therapist doesn't suffer that drained feeling.<br>Our bodies run on energy. Just look at the way our nervous system operates by currents. We each have our own "signature" and supply if you will. If we deplete our own energy supply by working without grounding, we feel it. I use the tried and true "I'm a tree" method. I see myself as a willow tree.  I sink my roots deep into the earth.  I let the earth energy flow through me and out the crown of my head as willow branches that gently touch the ground.  The energy flows through me and back to ground.  I use the energy I'm drawing to work. I use the energy to facilitate the healing process, but I don't let my own "signature" energy stay with my client.  All the bad stuff is washed away.  When I'm finished, I ground out the excess and leave myself with the same amount I started with, only cleaner.  Think of it as recycling! I always ground and center whether I'm working or not.  It keeps me running at optimum. I hope this helped.  <br>
Gwen
Fresh Hands

Postby Sadiedawn on Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:39 pm

I just have to reaffirm the use of meridian brushing. I was headed to class one day and got a flat tire. I was definitely out of my body and into my head. When I got to class, I walked in. They were doing a meditation. There was no way I could sit down and focus at that point so I went into another room and did three rounds of meridian brushing. I was able to go into the class feeling grounded and relaxed. <br><br>Recently I've been kicked in the butt about brushing again. I had forgotten how powerful it is until recently. I have a client who called me in a panic. She's over a thousand miles away but was ready to fly out to see me. Not expecting her call, I hadn't grounded myself and picked up on her energy. I had been off for a while and didn't know what to do for this client. I finally called a friend and fellow therapist to get her thoughts. She told me to do brushing. Of course, I followed her advice and can tell a huge difference. I'm going to make it a daily practice now. It is that amazing.<br><br>Sage....I think if you take any of the asian theory classes at SWIHA, you'll learn more about meridian brushing. If you're seriously interested, let me know and I can even get together with you and show you. It is very simple--and we can't live too far away. <br><br>Another option in working with energy is to put the ascention symbol on the bottom of your table. The symbol is a column of three shapes. On top you've got a circle, just below that a triangle pointing up and a square. All of them equal in width. I just put one under my bed. I had more restful sleep then I've had in a while but I did just finish taking an autonomic nervous system class too. Who's to say what it was?!<br><br>
Polarity Practitioner, Transformational Coach, Hypnotherapist, Soul Portrait Composer
Sadiedawn
Registered Member

Postby goldface on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:48 am

Elemental,<br><br>I am so glad you found your way to this thread.  You expressed exactly what I have felt - my 'signature' energy staying w/ my clt (seeing myself in them after the session).  And then there is definitely an imprint left in me as well (I worked on a clt whom I believe might have an eating disorder, and now I hardly have an appetite at all).  It sounds really strange, and I feel weird talking about it!<br><br>I have some questions if you wouldn't mind answering, I apologize for sounding so completely naive:<br><br>-Why do some therapists experience this kind of thing, and some do not seem to get phased at all?  Are some of us just less grounded - or maybe other therapists are not aware when they are picking up on things?<br><br>-If I feel like I have lost my 'signature' and picked up someone else's, will things eventually go back to normal?<br><br>-I am not intending my work to be energy based - I am just doing plain old therapeutic massage for wellness, but the energy phenomena are happening anyway.  Is it possible for any massage to not involve energy flow?<br><br>-Clients whom I pick up 'icky' stuff from are wonderful, nice people!  Why do they have this negativity?  Is it something that can be changed?<br><br>Thank you so much if you have time to answer any of my questions.  Your post really helped.
goldface
Fresh Hands

Postby Gwen on Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:35 am

Goldface,<br><br>There's really nothing to worry about. You have not lost your "signature", it's just confused. Just do a basic ground and center to get back to normal. Even taking a salt bath with lavender will help.  The residual energies will wash out.  This happens to many of us.  I think that it is in our nature as care givers to want to identify with our clt on an empathic level. We want to help.  Some of us already have boundaries in place, that prevent this problem and some have to learn to place those boundaries.  My instructor in massage school put it well when she said that it is not our job to "fix" anyone. We need to remain a separate entity from that person on the table.  By doing so, we not only protect ourselves, but we also protect the clt from *our* icky stuff and respect their boundaries.   We are just the facilitator.<br><br>All massage involves energy, because any interaction with another living thing involves energy.  I think that because we are more focused on the clt during massage when we are "in the zone", things can be exchanged and absorbed.  We all have "icky stuff".  It doesn't make us good or bad.  It just makes us human.  Think of it as something you can wash off. Grounding and centering regularly will help prevent this.  There are also concrete actions you can do.  My instructor in school talked about the way she washes up after a session. She washes from her elbow down to her hand, physically washing off the clt from her body. <br>I really hope this helps.  You're not alone.  <br><br>Regards,<br>Elemental
Gwen
Fresh Hands

Postby Jill Heijligers-Peloquin on Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:53 am

Elemental, I have enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. Thanks.<br><br>Sadiedawn, lets meet up. I live so close (5 miles maybe) from SWIHA. You're right about inviting me to take an Asian Theory class soon. I am 'getting the invitation' from all sorts of people & things in my life right now.<br><br>So, as someone unknowing... meridian brushing is different or similar to lymphatic body brushing? I'm sure the 'intention' is different, but am curious if it is similar at all?<br><br>Jill/Sagetherapist
Jill Heijligers-Peloquin

Postby Gwen on Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Sage,<br><br>Thank you!  I'm so glad that I found this board!  I have learned so much, just reading all the topics and posts.  As per your post earlier, my school didn't seem to get into the how-to of g&c either.  I learned that a while back, prior to my massage school experience. I'm still fairly new in this profession, so I'll have lots of questions for everyone!<br><br>Best Regards,<br>Elemental
Gwen
Fresh Hands

Postby EgoMagickian on Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:33 am

One thing you might do is a daily energy tuneup each morning, and maybe midday, too. You can find it in Donna Eden's book Energy Medicine. <br><br>Part of that tuneup is the "zipping up" process to protect yourself from negative energy. You first briskly tap your K-27 points, which are about an inch below the bumps where your clavicle ends. Then you place your hand at your pubic bone, and take a deep breath as you simultaneously move your hand up your body to your mouth. Just as if you were zipping up a body suit (ok, with a very high collar!)<br><br>However, while I still really like the tuneup, I prefer the idea of transcending old ideas about positive/negative energy. The battery in your car has a positive pole and a negative pole, and both are essential to its functioning. In energetic terms, they're really just two different aspects of the same neutral thing. It takes a person to designate one as "bad" and elevate the other as "good".<br><br>Set the intention for your higher self to automatically transmute all energy that you come into contact with into a force for your highest good. Affirm: it is ok to live in this world with my fellow humans. I am safe.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby goldface on Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:54 am

Thank you very much Elemental for answering my questions!  I appreciate it.<br><br>Interesting ideas, EgoM.  That book sounds worth checking in to.
goldface
Fresh Hands

Postby Gwen on Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:09 am

Hi goldface,<br><br>Glad I could help.  If you are interested, there are shielding techniques that go along with what I spoke about.  The premise is to take a bit of the energy drawn during grounding and centering and put up a personal shield.  Picture a cocoon around you (under feet and over head included) that can be pushed out or held close. Set it with a clockwise spin.  You can slow it down or speed it up as needed. The fast you spin it, the more shielding you have. Positive energy is allowed in, but the negative just bounces off the clockwise spin. Think of it in terms of physics. Energy is a given. Positive energy always has a clockwise spin. Negative energy always spins counter clockwise.  Once you have it set, just leave it up.  You can adjust it as necessary. <br>In any case, best of luck and feel better soon!<br>Elemental
Gwen
Fresh Hands

Postby EgoMagickian on Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:43 am

I came across the following in my notes today, and parts of it really apply to my thoughts on this discussion... I've snipped the less relevant bits, but you can follow the link if you want to read the whole thing.

from
http://www.crimsoncircle.com/channelser ... y01-04.htm

You didn't feel safe with the energies around you, from other people. You created this thing of "white light" that you encased yourself in and shut yourself off from the rest of the world, using it as a tool because you didn't feel safe. You felt like the other energies of humans were going to attack you and devour you. You didn't feel safe, so you created your own little island. You entombed yourself from outside energies... afraid to touch people at times... afraid of germs... afraid of energies. So, you shut yourself off.

You don't need to be afraid of that anymore. You can be wide open in your energy, and hug others, and share energies, and not worry about it. You can be in a safe space all of the time.

Dear friends, this New Year... this NOW Year... this New Energy Year... has the potential right here and now to be safe all of the time. You have to continue to take responsibility and ownership for your divinity. But, it is safe. It is safe physically. It is safe mentally. And, it is safe now for your spirit to come out.

This is not a condition that we have created. It is a condition that you have created. We are simply the reporters. We are simply the messengers.

In the safe space all the energies of light and dark meld together. There is a balance. It is not about one or the other. "In-a-safe-space" doesn't mean that it is purely what you call "light." It is all. It is everything, brought together in harmony and in balance.

What does grounding look like? Ah... acceptance... breathing it into your body... breathing it into your space, into your reality. That is all. It is so simple!

You want to be teachers? You want to be healers? You can't do it in the Old Energy way any more. Trust us. Some of you keep trying, trying to go back to Old Energy tools. And, you wonder why nobody comes knocking at your door! From a place of compassion, or acceptance of All That Is... this sets up a potential for those who choose change. Then, they will come to you. They will sense the compassion. They will sense the safe space that you are sitting in.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Postby themoose on Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:29 am

This was just a great timing discussion.  <br><br>I literally thought this morning -  " I wonder how to keep grounded" from all the massages - sometimes I feel as if I have absorbed so much stress and just plain bad vibes I feel sick...<br><br>Great postings and suggestions.  Many thanks to all for the excellent resources you all are!<br><br>>M<
themoose
Fresh Hands

Postby chikkn on Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:32 am

This is a great topic!  In class, grounding was mentioned, but never really explained.  The 2nd client of my Internship sent me some very bad Mo-Jo (as my classmates referred to it).  About halfway through the massage I began to feel dizzy, clammy and nauseus.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it 30 min. longer but kept talking to myself to try to clear away the negative energy.  When I finished with the client I literally ran to the bathroom to relieve my nausea.  After I had composed myself and returned to the front office, the client had already paid and left.  The office manager knew something was wrong because I looked "white and drained" and, in fact, my fingers were bluish!  I talked about the session with 4 people, including my instructor, and each related stories of their own to me.  I was amazed and relieved that others had experienced similar clients.  It took me over an hour before I could drive myself home; I napped and didn't really feel normal until the next day.<br><br>When I thought about it later I remembered my first impression of the client:  He looked like he either had a horrible headache, or had just had a terrible argument with someone.  Whatever it was, it was a tough lesson for me.<br><br>Thanks to everyone for offering ways to become Grounded!
One secret of getting ahead is getting started.
chikkn
Fresh Hands

Postby jennifer lockhart on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Just another suggestion, I learned to shake off peoples energy while massaging. Just flick your hand out, & you can imagine the energy flying off of your hands. Another therapist told me  "this is especially important if you only have one hand on the client at the time".  That information helped me tremendiously. I also pray before every massage for god (or higher being) to bless my client , & bless me.
jennifer lockhart

Postby JNozum on Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:19 pm

Luckily, I had only one "real bad" case where I worked on a person that was LOADED with negativity.  This woman had depression (BOTH situational and chemical) so severe that radiates to others and spreads faster than a virus!<br><br>     Yes, I did use some grounding when working on her, and as a result, I didn't "get it" all that bad.  My methods of grounding including mental prayer during the treatment and having my mind focused on the healing process in which I was involved with.  However, I later learned that I can offer up the negativity up to God for Him to take away from me.  It works!  Often within 1-3 hours, the negativity has been taken away.<br><br>     To get rid of this negativity, I sometimes get on my knees and pretend as if I am "holding" this negativity in my hands.  I offer this up saying something like "Father, in the name of your son, Jesus, I offer up this negativity for you to take away from me.  Glory be to You for ever and ever!"<br>. <br><br>     I also usually say a mental prayer thanking God for allowing me to work on this person.  Because of my relationship with God, I often find it a JOY to do a massage and/or reiki treatment on someone.<br><br><br>From John Nozum<br><br>
JNozum
Fresh Hands

Postby K77 on Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:39 am

Hi everybody,<br>I've got a concern and I hope someone out there could give me some advice.<br><br>I started to do proffessional facials last year within my company in Nov and Dec 04. These facials would go for approx 1hour, accompanied by a neck and shoulder massage and hand massage. I would only do these facials once a week throughout Nov and Dec but during this time I noticed some very very scary changes in my face. I started developing more wrinkles, my eyes had drooped, my hair started to fall out and became incredibly dry. I have been like this ever since - so its been 9 months now. I have seen a little improvement as my hair is slowly growing back, but could all these symptoms  be because I absorbed these womens' energy. I look at photos of myself before I started the facials, even 1-2 months prior, and I looked completely different. Other people have noticed it as well. Its like I have aged 10 yrs. I hate looking in the mirror, at one stage I avoided it as much as possible because I literally couldnt recognise myself. I would scare myself everytime I looked - it was like another woman (old) was starring right back at me. It was horrible.  To this day I find it hard.<br><br>What do I do? Do I need to see somebody to rid myself of this energy? Is there anything I can do myself? If anybody has experienced the same thing as I have i'd be so grateful if you'd share your thoughts and advice.
K77
Fresh Hands

Postby Intuitouch on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:37 am

K77, I didn't want to sidetrack the energetic side of this discussion...please check your PM's. :)
~ A Hunch is Creativity Trying to Tell You Something~
~Frank Capra~
Intuitouch
Registered Member

Postby kathryn on Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:54 am

Besides all the great grounding techniques offered on this thread, also remember to completely separate your personal energy field from the clients right after you finish the massage. Otherwise, you can end up feeling things they are going through for several days after the initial session.
kathryn
Registered Member

Postby Talenyn on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm

There may be many things that contribute to this, but I'll deal mainly with the energy side. Could you be having a reaction to some of the products?<br><br>Besides following many of the grounding techniques in this thread here are some other suggestions (which may have been mentioned). <br><br>Make sure you wash your arms & hands in cold water after every session. It will help break the contact.<br><br>You may want to wear an amber necklace or carry black tourmaline they are protective stones. I highly recommend black tourmaline as it is not as "fragile" as amber and can deal with heavier energy loads. Amber will need to be recharged frequently if absorbing lots of energy. <br><br>You also need to clear the room of negative energies. Smudge with sage is the easiest. Or if you have them use tingshas (sp) or tibetan singing bowl to chime around the room.<br><br>Jenn
The Other Side of the Sun - Earth's Treasures Brought to Light - www.tosots.com
Talenyn
Retired Moderator - SSS

Grounding

Postby mccannmassage on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:58 pm

I myself am a MT student, I have another year to go. And so far, I have recieved my certifications is Chakra Balancing and SoJi Hand Thereapy! I have learned simply from my teacher to just take a moment and touch the top of the client's head and relax yourself, make yourself aware of your own emotions, discomforts, etc...then, imagine roots (like a tree's roots) comming up from the core of the earth and wrapping around your feet and ankles! Then I begin the massage session. Afterwards, my Kinesiology teacher has taught me how to "brush off" For that just simply stop physical contact and "brush the air" around the top of the clients body (just swing ur arms over the space above your table and client. It has so far worked for me...hopefully it will work for you!!! :D
<3~*Kathy*~<3
mccannmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby ginats on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi. I am an acupuncturist who has incorporated bodywork into the sessions, because I mainly treat pain syndromes. I have done this for 10 years and I have finally decided to stop doing massage with my hands, unless it is a special reason.
There are other ways to perform massage, such as with an acuscen device or special massage carved crystals, amongst many other tools. I am writing this for any massage therapist who has a problem with energy transfer that they cannot fix.
I started practicing qigong before I ever did massage and enjoyed wonderful health. After 10 years of lessons with massage, I have decided to stop doing massage to regain my vibrant health. THese are my own words, so don't fixate on them, yet from what I experience, the two energy fields merge when the massage therapist works on a client. The pathogenic/stagnant energy will be distributed, although the root stays in the patient's body. The reason it became an issue for me is because my focus in qigong was to purify my body and to continually purify it. So generally speaking, my field was always the cleaner field and therefore I was always being polluted by the patient. It has taken me 10 years to let go of the attachment to wanting to fix people's problems in a snap. Because of my clean field, I have always been able to find the exact blocked area in the patient and clear it, whether with my fingers, acupuncture needles or with crystals, yet this has limited the own evolution of my energy. After years of studying nutrition, I am now focusing more on using the energy of food, herbs, tools, etc to heal patients, rather than the energy of my body. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying any of this, because many may heavily rely on massage for their income. I am merely sharing this because it can be one of the most frustrating things to deal with and have no one to turn to. In the end, when you have a health problem you can't fix, no matter how much (or little...) money you have, was taking on the patient's energy worth it? No, is my answer. After many painful lessons, I have taken to heart the words of my qigong master, Li Hongzhi (www.falundafa.org). Again, I want to stress how using one's hands directly on the patient is different from using massage tools; from my limited understanding, the energy fields still merge, but the massage tool is in direct contact with blockage or weakness, rather than your body.
ginats
Fresh Hands

Postby askahealer on Sun May 01, 2011 3:03 am

When I first started out doing energetic healing facilitation work, there were certain clients that would have me on the floor, literally. I would feel so drained after working with them that I would have to ly down for a while. I remember one person in particular. One specific day, this person hugged me. As they did, I felt as if my lifeforce energy was leaving my body and going into them. I commented on this to a fellow healing facilitator whom I respected and who had far more experience than I at that point in linear time.

He said something I will never forget. He asked me if God could be drained. I said "of course not." as if , duh.

He just looked at me. Thru energy transfer, I got it. I got what he was saying.

I was being drained because somewhere in me, I was in agreement with letting my personal energy be used by others. I became aware that the body is designed to work best when all personal energy units (thanks to Carolyn Myss for that term, by the way) were utilized by the individual.

Once I got that my role in any healing facilitation session, whether Reiki or something more physically direct like foot reflexology (or in your case, massage) was to be an open vessel thru which God could travel, I rarely ever got burned out or fatigued like that again.

On a more practical level, what this meant is that I kept my own agenda out of it. I did not push for result. I released it all to God. To the extent I was able to keep my mind and judgment out of the healing room, I experienced rejuvenation after sessions instead of debilitating fatigue.

Also agree with whoever posted that eating well, sleeping well, dealing with stress well, in general taking care of me very important.
askahealer
Registered Member

Postby Rozax on Sun May 01, 2011 8:21 am

There was one night I came home from the clinic feeling kinda crummy. My massages went just fine and the clients were pleasant, so I couldn't place a finger on this negativity. After remembering that one of my client's was struggling with depression, the crumminess just melted away. I haven't figured out how to deal with excited energy, though. Going to the gym seems to be the only thing that helps me in those situations.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org
Rozax
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Energy Work Forum