work as a massage at home therapist

Research in the field of massage therapy, including current and planned research projects and proposals. “If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?” ~Albert Einstein

Moderator: jdcan

relaxgal
Fresh Hands

work as a massage at home therapist

Post by relaxgal » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:32 am

Can I make some decent money working as a massage therapist at the client's home? Do I need special licenses or anything?
Thanks!

cabwy
Registered Member

Re: work as a massage at home therapist

Post by cabwy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi relaxgal

I started my career doing primarily mobile massages and it was great. You see less clients a day and get paid well to do so. Eventually I had the clients purchase their own tables so I didn't have as much wear and tear on my body. As for special licensing, each state has different policies. In my state I don't need anything but my licensing.
Carol

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Post by MTSI » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Relaxgal

It depends what your definition of decent is. Massage therapy salaries or earnings for full time workers is in the 50-60k range according to the labor of economic development and growth. When you travel, you will loose commute time. The most important thing is to factor lost time into your rates so that you are still earning a "decent" amount while traveling from place to place. Curious - what State are you in?
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 pm

You need to be trained, licensed, insured, and otherwise possess the qualifications necessary to legally practice massage therapy in the area you have in mind. Further, you need to check applicable state and local laws to see whether it is legal to provide in-home massage services. There are communities that have banned in-home massage, so make sure you won't be breaking the law.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

squash_blsm

Post by squash_blsm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:03 am

MTSI wrote:Hi Relaxgal

It depends what your definition of decent is. Massage therapy salaries or earnings for full time workers is in the 50-60k range according to the labor of economic development and growth. When you travel, you will loose commute time. The most important thing is to factor lost time into your rates so that you are still earning a "decent" amount while traveling from place to place. Curious - what State are you in?
FWIW - these figures are based on a 40-hr work week. I don't know any MT that works that much - even when they want to! Most of the therapists that I know work 5-30 hands on hours/wk and most often only in the 10-20 hrs range. And many of them feel that this IS full time. I believe that ABMP will publish the results of one of their current member surveys soon which specifically include income and hours worked.

50-60k is not a realistic figure, IMO (especially with the franchise locations paying $15/hr)

But for the OP - you are still subject to the licensing regulations of your state. If regulations do not prohibit home visits or an at home office you could definitely start earning something! Having a REAL office is safer and more professional.
And for thise just starting out I think it is worthwhile to work as an employee while developing skills and knowledge first.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:41 am

squash_blsm wrote:
MTSI wrote:Hi Relaxgal

It depends what your definition of decent is. Massage therapy salaries or earnings for full time workers is in the 50-60k range according to the labor of economic development and growth.
FWIW - these figures are based on a 40-hr work week. I don't know any MT that works that much - even when they want to! Most of the therapists that I know work 5-30 hands on hours/wk and most often only in the 10-20 hrs range. And many of them feel that this IS full time. I believe that ABMP will publish the results of one of their current member surveys soon which specifically include income and hours worked.

50-60k is not a realistic figure, IMO (especially with the franchise locations paying $15/hr)
I absolutely agree with s_b. 50-60k *is* unrealistic for most people. Especially when most work in spas and franchises.

I have a fairly busy private practice, so I gross a little more than the above mentioned (but I've been in practice since the mid-90's --- and it's taken forever to even get to this point --- as in, just in the past year or so). And, gross is not take home, by any means. I can see about 16-23 people in a week, and be ok. More than 25 and I think I'd be in for a lot of unhappiness. When I do have a few weeks in a row that have more than 20, I have to take a lot of time to rest on my week-end in order to be up and running full speed for the next week of work. I don't think that's much of a life, to be honest.

Don't be fooled... it would take a very special massage therapist to work 40 hours of hands-on work per week. Oh! And, then when would they have time for answering the phones, scheduling clients, changing the sheets, taking lunch, and washing all of the linens? Oh, right.... we're usually washing sheets off the clock anyway, so that likely doesn't matter to the powers that create these arbitrary numbers for pay. :undecided:

Full time, is as s_b stated... around the 15-20 mark, depending on your training, abilities, stamina and lack of burn out.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:44 am

relaxgal wrote:Can I make some decent money working as a massage therapist at the client's home? Do I need special licenses or anything?
Thanks!
relaxgal wrote:Try to specialize in more exotic massages. Exotic, not erotic. Many people are looking for new massage experiences. Lomi Lomi is a very cool massage technique. It is a Hawaiian therapy that appeals to many for instance. You can take a look on [link removed]Personal Massage London[/url] website. They're some friends of mine that provide home based massage therapies of all sorts in London, UK.
Cheers

relaxgal,

Have you asked your friends (the ones who's link you posted in the comment above from another thread) about the license question yet? Since they do on site massage, and are in your region, they may know something more.

Once you have asked them and get an answer, would you please take time to update this thread, so other people with the same question will have the information in the future?

Please make sure to let everyone know which country, county and city you find information about. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Research”