Thai yoga Massage

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Postby kemilyna on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:34 pm

I know I've plugged this a couple of times, and here I go again!

Anyone interested in learning the Lotus Palm system, here is a CEU course for you:

http://www.bodyworkonline.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=11723

I'm getting really excited about this class! The only thing I'm nervous about is that I didn't buy the Lotus Palm mat system. I bought an enormous Thai mat that supposedly rolls up (like fighting an alligator to roll it up). And, I have NO IDEA how I'm going to carry the darn thing to class! LOL

Emily
kemilyna
Registered Member

Re:

Postby pueppi on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:41 am

akb wrote:The class is a very basic introduction of SomaVeda Thai Massage created by Dr. Anthony James who has been studying Thai Massage (both North and South styles) since the 1980's.

If someone who is familiar with Thai massage could provide a description of the differences between the Northern and Southern styles of Thai massage, I would be appreciative.

Thanks in advance. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Thai yoga Massage

Postby ThaiKosai on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi Pueppi, there isn't much difference. The Thai government has for years been trying to standardise the curriculum of Thai massage taught in private and vocational schools in Thailand. Generally when people talk about a difference between the two styles, it is that the north style has more Indian influence with more stretching and manipulation while the southern style has greater Chinese influence, with focus on acupressure points and sen lines. Sometimes north/south differences are confused with the differences between the 'royal' and 'rural' styles (broadly, the royal style enforces more distance between therapist and client, and permits pressure only through fingers - i.e. no palms, knees, feet etc)
ThaiKosai
Fresh Hands

Re: Thai yoga Massage

Postby pueppi on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 am

ThaiKosai,

Thanks so much for that information! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Thai yoga Massage - Robert Gardner?

Postby coelbren on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:33 am

Does anyone have any experience taking classes with Robert Gardner or his 3-hr Reboot treatments? I'm intrigued, and I've taken a bunch of Thai before. It seems more like physical therapy and, this is what makes me gravitate towards it. I want to do something sustainable, but also something that is interesting and treatment-oriented.
coelbren
Fresh Hands

Previous

Return to Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)