Pre-event for Triathlon

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

KW_LMT
Fresh Hands

Pre-event for Triathlon

Post by KW_LMT » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 pm

:grin: Greetings!

:arrow: For our Sports massage folks, I am getting set for my FIRST work at an event. Am hoping to get tips regarding pre-event work for a Triathlon. Most of my folks will be athletic but not pros. The event will include swimming, running, and bicycling.

I have been going through the book Therapeutic Massage in Athletics by Pat Archer.

:smt017 Where I will have 10 minute sessions to work with and a basic setup of a portable massage table but NO special bolstering. Are there any suggestions on how I should go about starting with each person and determining what areas should be focused on (where there will not be alot of time for intake processing)? Also, any thoughts about not using lubrication or using limited lubrication...where there is not much time for a finishing wipe down since have only that 10 minutes per session and yet I want to be sure the work is effective!

I am terribly nervous about this but also looking forward to getting started!

Thank you SO much!

-KW

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: Pre-event for Triathlon

Post by JasonE » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 pm

1. Remember you aren't there to "fix" anything.
2. Remember you aren't there to relax them.
3. Pre-event, you want to help prep them for action. This mean quick, lighter work to gently stimulate their tissues.
4. Most athletes will know and tell you what they think they need. If they aren't certain, ask them what feels tightest, or if they have any areas that have been giving them issues recently. Spend your time there.
5. They will probably be in their competition outfits. Don't lube them up. Use compressions, petrissage, gentle ROM/stretching, etc. If you *must* do effleurage/gliding, do it without lube. You can also work through a cloth/towel.
6. Mind your time. Do what you can and move on.
7. Have your table wipes, towels, hand sanitizer, and other supplies where you can reach them quickly and easily.

HAVE FUN!
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

KW_LMT
Fresh Hands

Post by KW_LMT » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:26 am

:smt006 JasonE THANK YOU! I got Pat Archer's book from your recommendation and have been practicing (in normal sessions) some of the techniques she discussed with great results.

Your suggestions here give me some needed confidence on how to proceed! Thank you VERY much!!

-K

KW_LMT
Fresh Hands

Post by KW_LMT » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:49 am

WELL! :irked:

So, the event happened earlier this morning. I got up at 3 AM, was in place set to go by 5:30 AM....and NO ONE took it up on the complimentary offer.

I can only think that people were a combination of: not knowing it was going to be there for them, too anxious and hyped about the event, and not knowing the difference between sports massage and massage that would be sedating.

Other than that, I am at a loss.

Any thoughts on how this might get more success? (That was too much nerves and work to be ready to go for nothing at all to happen...no practice even with my new skills! :smt009 )

Thank you everyone!

-KW

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:55 pm

I do massage at 3-6 triathlons a year and in my experience it is rare for someone to want a massage pre-event. I will sometimes do a little stretching or taping but for the most part the athletes are concerned about their race. I do however do a lot of post-race massaging. Did you stick around for afterwards?

Angie

KW_LMT
Fresh Hands

Post by KW_LMT » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 am

Angie,

:mrgreen: No, I did not stick around for after, I was working with my managers' arrangement and they had given me a set period of time, my understanding was that after that it would be solidly a volunteer activity for me and I had very carefully prepared myself for pre-event work...as this was my first ever work with event massage (and technically the next event will also be my "first" since I really did not get to do "work" for this one)...and was not ready with the details for post-event as I had not been given the ok and time for that.

I will add that for another facility I work for, I did "volunteer" chair massage for them, to help get people notified of the new spa for a month (around December). People are still coming in asking about chair massage, for free of course. After that situation, I am just not inclined to do more "volunteer" work although I understand it is recommended. ...am open to thoughts on that though.

Thank you VERY much for your response! And yes, I was getting some thought that people were interested in post-event massages...but I was worried about not being prepared for it (besides that it would be voluntary) and knowing that there can be some medical issues and CRAMPING to be aware of/ready for.

-KW

moogie
Site Admin

Post by moogie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

I do the work for free but it is because a lot of my clients are members of a particular tri team and I am the official massage therapist for the team. So, I do the work for the free publicity and as a way to help my clients out. I only do massage for the team and am set up in their team tent rather than in the public massage tent. Of course it never fails that someone who is not a member will come by and ask for massage. As long as I don't have one of my members waiting, I'll take them next. I figure it never hurts to help someone out.

I have gotten quite a few clients from doing this, so it's definitely been worth my time.

Angie

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by JasonE » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

KW_LMT wrote:Angie,

:mrgreen: No, I did not stick around for after, I was working with my managers' arrangement and they had given me a set period of time, my understanding was that after that it would be solidly a volunteer activity for me and I had very carefully prepared myself for pre-event work...as this was my first ever work with event massage (and technically the next event will also be my "first" since I really did not get to do "work" for this one)...and was not ready with the details for post-event as I had not been given the ok and time for that.

I will add that for another facility I work for, I did "volunteer" chair massage for them, to help get people notified of the new spa for a month (around December). People are still coming in asking about chair massage, for free of course. After that situation, I am just not inclined to do more "volunteer" work although I understand it is recommended. ...am open to thoughts on that though.

Thank you VERY much for your response! And yes, I was getting some thought that people were interested in post-event massages...but I was worried about not being prepared for it (besides that it would be voluntary) and knowing that there can be some medical issues and CRAMPING to be aware of/ready for.

-KW
You were working with your "managers' arrangement" and had "a set period of time"? Were you being paid for the time you were there? How did you get this particular opportunity?

Most of the pre-event work I do is done in the 1-2 days prior to an event, but sometimes an event's schedule makes it easier to drum up pre-event work on the day of. In general, the earlier the starting time, the less likely you will see athletes that want pre-event work at the event. If you stick around, you will usually see a TON of athletes that want post-event recovery work.

In general, the best way to get better at sports massage is to do as much of it as you can. I've done a ton of volunteer sports massage, and still do every year. The practice is good for honing my skills, and it has opened doors for me to do paid sports massage, such as gigs working with elite athletes, with sports groups, corporate sports events, etcetera. Most of that is post-event sports massage.

My volunteer work also built a relationship with an event so that they advertise to registered participants about coming the day before the event to get pre-event sports massage (and also pick up their runners' packets early). The participants pay for the pre-event work, and the event also pays for us to work with some of their employees and volunteers.

Most of the events I've worked are used to having sports massage available for participants. I usually connect with the medical staff before I start working so I know where they are and can figure out how to summon them if needed. If possible, I do my work fairly close to them.

You may want to volunteer at events where you can work alongside MTs that have more experience doing sports massage. You can learn a LOT from them, and pick up lots of good ideas to help you at future events. My experiences with the AMTA Sports Massage Team in Minnesota taught me enough to set up and run sports massage events and teams on my own. I still volunteer with the AMTA team because I still learn a lot from doing events with them, and the time I spend practicing is a great investment in developing my professional skills.

Sometimes people that meet me at sports events come to see me at my office later, but I never do events with that foremost in my mind. That said, it's good marketing for me to be able to talk about providing sports massage at a wide variety of events; the experiences have helped me become one of the "go-to" people for sports massage expertise in my area... many athletic clients have been referred to me by other MTs. I have chosen some of my CE classes specifically because the knowledge would enhance my sports massage skills, and that has been a good investment of my time and resources. :grin:
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

KW_LMT
Fresh Hands

Post by KW_LMT » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:36 am

JasonE,

Thank you VERY much for sharing your insight!

By way of answering your question, let me tell you a touch about my "up-to this point". I started in a small town with my massage work after finishing massage school. Worked there for a year and made NO money. My family had to cover the expense to rent a room in a salon (the best work I could find in the area), still, I learned alot and gained very good practical experience. After that, I have actually moved to another state in order to be able to earn money. So, your question about my managers' etc. One of the places I work for is a gym connected to a local hospital. They are working with various events here apparently through the year...but I am getting the impression there is no real experience with "sports massage", so was no advertising for this and we were not sure which time (before or after) the event to go for...and the same holds for the other place (also through a gym) that I work for.

For the place that set this up, yes, they paid me for the base time which was very nice. The second place let me do a month of free chair massage and does not follow up or through with any of their company's requests for chair massage at events...course I do not usually know about what is going on unless they decide to put the request around for interest from therapists but even when I did express interest, I heard nothing more about it.

I got in on this because I have been talking over my plans for the Orthomassage certification with my managers and where this event was coming up...and they are wanting to build on the massage business...it was offered to me to setup.

After my first experience with "independant contractor" work, I am really not ready to try that again...at least not till I have a regular and loyal clientel and know that I will be able to cover my expenses. However, I am getting ready to get out from under some of the issues of working for others in this field...not quite there yet. :smt017

I am through ABMP...would the AMTA sports groups work with me anyway?...just wondering about your experience with that. Also, as I am looking over what I have here, I have to wonder if anyone has any thoughts about who or where I might be checking to find out events that are going on through the company I work for...maybe set some things up that route...?

With the above, I would need to find events outside this where I can work with other MTs. And, volunteer is the best way to go about that (or to get started)? Any thoughts on getting compensation (how much and who to speak with)?....PLEASE NOTE: I am not all about money. Still, I understand that there is a certain element of appreciation if paid for versus for free, and the simple fact that if we don't bring it some we can't pay our expenses. :grin:

Thank you SO much for the support! Sure can be frustrating when don't know what to do about things. :D

-KW

JLHAY79
Fresh Hands

Post by JLHAY79 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:22 am

I am a triathlete and runner. Athletes want the massage after not before. The only work they might want which would be better the day before the race at packet pick up is some sort of active release therapy.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 am

As noted by the triathlete above, many fail to see the usefulness of pre-event bodywork.

However, if you can get in touch with the person who is in charge of the elite athletes for the event, then you may start to find the people who understand the benefit. Having worked with this population, I can guarantee you that it is extremely important to them, and many events who have elites competing will pay a therapist to provide this work. You are generally hired for a period of time, to work with them either the day before or the morning of the event. Usually this work is consistent with a quick and flushing style of bodywork to help with decreased congestion.

I would not suggest ART (Active Release Technique) pre-event, as it is not what will provide the benefit that the elite athlete needs.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Return to “Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)”