Questions for Massage School?

Discussion of massage and bodywork techniques, along with holistic therapies, both generic and modality specific. A broad spectrum of discussion!

Moderators: stonegirl, riversinger

Msaelim0216
Fresh Hands

Questions for Massage School?

Post by Msaelim0216 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 am

Hi, everyone! I'm new here and I'm interested in becoming a massage therapist. I have a few questions before spending thousands of dollars for school because I want to be sure this is something I won't waste. So here are my questions!

1. How used does your body get to massaging people? I hear that it is a pain and that you just get so sore! About how many massages did you do first starting out then and now? My sister told me doing it part time won't get my body used to it and I'd always be sore... I plan to do it part time as I am working a full time job at corporate. I'd like to do this one the side 1-2 days a week and maybe eventually go into it full time if I like it enough and build enough clientele. Who knows, maybe even start my own business if it becomes something I love because I am not really feeling the office jobs....

2. I'm interested in becoming an esthetician also. I've always been really interested in skin. Do you think it is better to become a massage therapist first or esthetitican?

3. How hard is it to find work as a newly licensed therapist? Any advice on that?

4. Know anyone that owned a spa before and how much they made? If I started one I don't think I'd be looking to get rich but make a decent living. Like right now I could be okay with 40k if that's the profit yearly. Of course I would have to gain much experience first!

Thank you.

pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Questions for Massage School?

Post by pueppi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Hello, I am so sorry I never saw your post and quite surprised that no one else took the time to answer either. So, there must have been a glitch in the system. But, I see that over 300 people looked at your initial questions, so I have no idea... (I digress)...
Msaelim0216 wrote: 1. How used does your body get to massaging people? I hear that it is a pain and that you just get so sore! About how many massages did you do first starting out then and now? My sister told me doing it part time won't get my body used to it and I'd always be sore... I plan to do it part time as I am working a full time job at corporate. I'd like to do this one the side 1-2 days a week and maybe eventually go into it full time if I like it enough and build enough clientele. Who knows, maybe even start my own business if it becomes something I love because I am not really feeling the office jobs....
Hmmm... I don't recall being expectionally sore when I was in massage school, or when first starting out, but I was in specific shape for applying bodywork, so that likely made a difference. Obviously, it didn't have a big impact on me, or I would have remembered it. If you happen across one of my old posts that mentions I was very sore, please add it into this thread, so as to refresh my memory!!! :)

I did have an episode when I was working too much and had a lot of hand and finger pain with swelling, but that was due to the hours of bodywork, not because I was doing bodywork in particular. One does have to keep in mind the amount of hours per week their body can handle.

Another factor to keep in mind, is having the right equipment. Setting the table up right and utilizing the right width of table for your body is extremely important, as are proper body mechanics and proportionate strength for the work you are doing.

These threads may help until you get more responses:
2. I'm interested in becoming an esthetician also. I've always been really interested in skin. Do you think it is better to become a massage therapist first or esthetitican?
I think you should start with the one you are most interested in and if you feel like you are planning to work for other people, check into the market for new-hires for each field, in your area. Go with the one that seems to be getting hired easiest, if you like each field fairly equally.
3. How hard is it to find work as a newly licensed therapist? Any advice on that?
Each city, county and state has different metrics on that. If you tell us where you are from, we may have someone on the forum who is from your area, who can better address that for you.
4. Know anyone that owned a spa before and how much they made? If I started one I don't think I'd be looking to get rich but make a decent living. Like right now I could be okay with 40k if that's the profit yearly. Of course I would have to gain much experience first! Thank you.
I've been in practice 20 years. I have never profited 40K. But, that doesn't mean someone else hasn't. :)

---
02/26/15 - edit for typos.
Last edited by pueppi on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

maestra
Site Admin

Post by maestra » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 pm

I don't recall being exceptionally sore in Massage School either. Of course that was 19 years ago, but we were also getting quite a bit of massage at the time too... so that would have cut down on any physical pain I'd think. When I was in massage school they suggested we should be able to do 4 one hour massages per day, ensuring that our first massage was as good as our last. Now for most of my nearly 19 years in massage I was no where near doing 4 one hour massages daily. But, these past 8 years (as an Employee) I have been working at a day spa where they feel you should be able to do 5 deep tissue massages per day. And whether it's age, a genetic issue, or just general wear & tear on the body over the years... it is starting to catch up with me. I live in a tourist area and there are weeks when I've done as little as 4 hours per week, and last month I had a week where I did 21 hours in a week (those are hands on hours only). There are so many factors that might have to be factored in.

As pueppi mentioned the right equipment, the right body mechanics, etc. can be really important in your ability to do the work. Trying to work in a room to small or with the table that is not the right height, can definitely shorten the working life of a massage therapist... but it doesn't stop the potential employer into trying to talk you into working in less than ideal circumstances.

As far as becoming an esthetician or massage therapist first. First of all, you'll have to check to see what the laws are in your state. Sometimes the esthetician training is harder to acquire. I have worked with 2 dual-licensed MT/Estheticians. One of which got her training as an esthetician after having been a MT for about 3 years. I can tell you this... massage CAN be hard on the body & you're on your feet long hours. While estheticians spend more of their time sitting doing facials, although standing for scrubs & wraps can be tiring also... generally these services are not as intensive pressure wise when it comes to use of the hands.
Becoming a MT after training to become an esthetician will IMO, increase your skills & marketability, especially in a spa situation. At least in the area where I work it's harder to find an esthetician than it is to find a massage therapist... though our area has a lot who have trained to become a MT, not too many are actually making their living that way. Things may be different in your area, but I believe those who are dual licensed are probably in a better position for employment.

Anyway, hope it all works out for you, no matter what career path you decide.
“Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell” - Bill Copeland

jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Post by jdcan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 am

You said "My sister told me doing it part time won't get my body used to it and I'd always be sore."

Funny, I've only heard the exact opposite! But then, I've only heard from actual, successful massage therapists.

I started out 1/day! I gradually increased. I thought my max was 4, until 6 years in business, I accidentally scheduled 5 1/2. I realized I could do more now with the access of knowledge in using different parts of my body in different ways (more tools.) Our best student in class started doing 4/day and injured herself.

Return to “Massage & Holistic Therapies (Techniques, Modalities, etc.)”