Reynauds (sp?) disease

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Reynauds (sp?) disease

Postby Shannon on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:53 pm

has any one ever massaged anyone with this?
I had a client tonight that had it and I wasn't sure what to do to help him.
He complained of his extremities being numb at times and extremely sensitive to the cold.
One thing I noticed during his massage was that ever single one of his joints were tight. Also in each limb there was one muscle that was tight from insertion to origin.

He does exercise but I have massaged plenty of other people that do and haven't felt that before (all joints and muscles tight through and through)

Nothing I did loosened them up. I stripped, CFF,rolling, alternating thumbs....
He never complained of pain though.
I will be massaging him again in a month and I would like to help more than I did tonight.
Shannon
Registered Member

Reynaud's Disease

Postby Rubmyster on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:38 am

Shannon,
Reynaud's disease where the fingers go numb and change color from flesh to ash or gray. It is a peripheral vascular disorder that is characterized by abnormal vasoconstriction in the extremities upon exposure to cold or stress. This condition is sometimes associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis or sclerdoma. It is not something that bodywork or manual therapy will really change. This is interesting, though, as it usually occurs in females.
You're probably helping this person more than you think. You might suggest that he wear gloves and continue with massage to reduce stress.
Good luck,
Rubmyster
Rubmyster
Registered Member

Postby wellnessgarden on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:07 am

Shannon, primary Raynauds will typically affect only the hands and feet and maybe the nose, ears and lips. Then there is Raynauds phenomenon that could be indicative of underlying condition like Rubyster said.

I have a female client now in her 80's, that was diagnosed with localized scleroderma about 25 years ago. She became a client about 3 years ago, and gets regular massages plus she works out at Curves several times a week. This approach has seemed to improve her symptoms of both scleroderma and raynauds. The skin on her hands isn't as thick, tight and hard as it used to be.

Has your client actually been diagnosed with Raynauds or any autoimmune disorder? Maybe he has PAD, peripheral arterial disease, or something like that as well.

wellnessgarden
www.beverlylintonmassage.com

Be Impeccable with Your Word~Don't Take Anything Personally~Don't Make Assumptions~Always Do Your Best....."The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz
wellnessgarden
Registered Member

Postby StressSolutions on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:21 pm

I've had a client with Reynauds, kind of interesting, huh. She was kinda heavy, and tight all over, too. Did no exercise, really. Did mix of relax with TrP to try to loosen her up.

Maybe heat up some rocks for him to hold in his hands, heat some socks for his feet, his socks would be even better. good luck
StressSolutions

Postby Shannon on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Would made it tough was he had inclusion cyst all over and the first one I saw was on the palm side of his hand (looked very odd). He told me the cyst has nothing to do with reynauds (he has been diagnosed).

He told me that massaging the cyst actually made his limbs feel better...I dunno.
Shannon
Registered Member

Postby JaeMarie on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:30 pm

One of my instructors at massage school had this, and she showed us the effects of cold on her skin when the class was working on cryotherapy.

That you mention tight joints and muscles makes me wonder if there's something else going on. I looked up raynauds, and from what I've seen it sounds like raynauds is a circulatory issue, which often accompanies another pathology (which could be causing the joint/muscle problems).

Here's some reading, if it might be helpful...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 000412.htm

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1993.htm
JaeMarie

Postby Shannon on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks for the links!
The second one helped me alot.

Still trying to understand the joint and muscles tight through and through though. When I informed him of that he said he knew of nothing else wrong with him. (he is a Eye Dr.) so I know he takes care of himself.
Shannon
Registered Member

Postby Tatyana on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:25 pm

I had client with Reynauds and vascolitis at the same time.
There were really bad trigger points between her toes and sole of the foot. Worked them out and you could see change of color and temperature right away.
Tatyana
Fresh Hands

Postby MarionFM on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:22 pm

This sounds like fascial restrictions and I suspect his joints would respond to the gentle sustained pressure of John Barnes MFR. Look for the greatest area of restriction and apply that gentle pressure. Then move along the joint or muscle and do the same again. Always hold for a minimum of two minutes.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby stonegirl on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:18 am

I've experienced reynaud's myself... for 2 years I had frequent occurances, and then, just as suddenly as it had come on, it was gone. I'm not sure what the trigger was. The only thing I did differently was I started soaking in a hot tub everyday. I did notice before that also that keeping my core body temperature up was key to avoiding an episode. (just the difference of wearing a hat outside sometimes was all it took)

And of course I always receive lots of bodywork - all different types - the hot tub is the only different thing I started doing. just my personal experience, I don't have any science backing up my theory or anything! ;)
stonegirl

Postby CaroleHands on Mon May 21, 2007 4:10 pm

stonegirl wrote:I've experienced reynaud's myself... for 2 years I had frequent occurances, and then, just as suddenly as it had come on, it was gone. I'm not sure what the trigger was. The only thing I did differently was I started soaking in a hot tub everyday. I did notice before that also that keeping my core body temperature up was key to avoiding an episode. (just the difference of wearing a hat outside sometimes was all it took)

And of course I always receive lots of bodywork - all different types - the hot tub is the only different thing I started doing. just my personal experience, I don't have any science backing up my theory or anything! ;)

Stonegirl,

I'm glad to know that yours went away. I've been experiencing various auto-immune disorders, and just this past winter developed Raynaud's. This irks me a bit, since auto-immune disorders tend to spawn others. The cold was so difficult to bear this past winter, that I'm seriously considering moving to Arizona within the next two years.

While I don't have a hot tub, I will try other things you suggested. Thanks for the input! :)

Namaste,
Carole
"By seeing the beauty in every face, we lift others into their wisest self, and increase the
chances of hearing a synchronistic message."

--James Redfield
CaroleHands
Registered Member

Postby crystal_compass on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:56 pm

I have been working with a client with chronic lyme disease and dealing with reynaud's as well.

Searching the forum for more info. She had a flare up after our last massage right after the work. This is the first one I have witnessed. She has been seeing me for work for the last year.

She is usually running super warm all of the time and because it is so hot now in the summer I left the table warmer off and wonder if keeping it on low is what I should do at this point to regulate her core body temperature although she did not indicate she was cold elsewhere.
crystal_compass
Registered Member

Re: Reynauds (sp?) disease

Postby JLWmassage on Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 am

I have this. And it has been bothering me since I was 10 years old and I am 29 now. I have it in both of my hands and feet. I have the chillblains on my feet all the time now, but they only bother me when I am have a flare up. Extreme hot and cold can trigger a flare up for me but for the most part it is really not an issue for me anymore.
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Tue May 04, 2010 3:58 am

I have been going to Acupuncture and it has taken 3 treatments for me to notice a difference. I am also on Dang Gui Si Ni Tang Wan to enforce the treatments
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 am

I am going to be a guest speaker at the Scleroderma National Converention in Boston, MA. tomorrow. And I am going to be talking about being an MT w/ Reynauds
JLWmassage

Postby YFChoice on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 pm

JLW, how did it go. I have had scleroderma for 28 years (have been thru a heart and 3 chemo treatments because of it) and have been a massage therapist for 10 years.
You have to think anyway....you might as well think big.
~ Donald Trump ~
YFChoice
Registered Member

Postby victoriap on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:37 pm

You mentioned that the client’s joints and muscles were very tight. You also mentioned that this client is very sensitive to cold, which is normal in someone with Raynaud’s disease. Because this client get cold very easily, and gets much colder than the average person, he is likely in a tensed up position often in response to the cold. This can cause the muscles and structures of the body to become very tense as well, leading to very rigid and unyielding muscles and joints; which explains why they were very tight in this client and it was hard to loosen them up. Something that may be of benefit to this client is to dress more warmly (hats, mittens, scarves, boots, layers), especially in the winter. This will cause the client to be less cold all the time so he will not be constantly tensing up, so his muscles and joints will not be as tight and it will be easier for you to loosen them up.
victoriap
Fresh Hands

Postby victoriap on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:51 pm

One advanced massage technique that may be of benefit in this case would be the muscle approximation proprioceptive technique. You mentioned that a few of the muscles in his limbs were tight from origin to insertion and refused to loosen. When bringing the origin and insertion of the muscle together with this technique, sensory nerve endings are activated and send messages to the central nervous system to cause a reflexive decrease in muscle contraction. This will reduce the tone in these muscles and will likely cause relief for the client. Another effective technique for this client may be joint mobilizations. This technique can reduce capsular adhesions, increase joint nutrition, and overall increase range of motion of the joint. This would be helpful for this client, as you mentioned his joints were all very tight.
victoriap
Fresh Hands

Postby MarionFM on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 pm

I have used both Myofascial Release and Reflexology to good effect with people with Raynaud's. Most see improvement and it does not get as bad as it used to.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Return to Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure