How long after..? And acceptable modalities

A forum focusing on discussion of injuries, illnesses, pathologies and procedures in alleviating, relieving and/or referring.

Moderators: GreenDragonfly, Talenyn

Arete
Fresh Hands

How long after..? And acceptable modalities

Post by Arete » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 pm

I am starting this thread as a general thread to ask the questions how long after a,b,or,c can a person receive a massage and what modalities are acceptable. I have a pathology book to read info on clients conditions, but it doesnt answer certain questions, and I am looking to get some opinions here.

So now, how long after a heart attack can a client get a massage?

I recently had a client who came into the spa I work at. At my spa the massage therapist stay in the back, and watch on a monitor as the front desk takes the client history, they flip the clipboard upside down, and when we come out they take the clip broad and take us over to the client before we have a chance to read it for ourselves. Then they past the clip broad off to us as we are with the client, not giving us a chance to read the information before we take them to the room. Her paper work stated she had a heart attack a year ago. I asked her if her doctor had cleared her for massage, she replied that she received them monthly but 15 minutes into the massage I spot a bruise on the client, I informed her about it. She told me she was still on blood thinners and bruises easily. She did not put this information on her paper work.

So since she is still on blood thinners I am wondering, do I still need to obtain a doctors note?

MTSI
Fresh Hands

Re: How long after..? And acceptable modalities

Post by MTSI » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 pm

It's always best to get clearance from a physician. That said, how would you know your patients/clients' existing condition if they were not to tell you? Massage is a curative mechanism, not one to harm, unless your style of massage is a tough one. I know many heart patients, including my father, who regularly get their massages.
http://www.massagetherapyschoolsinformation.com/
THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN MASSAGE THERAPY

JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: How long after..? And acceptable modalities

Post by JasonE » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Why is the front desk staff doing the client intakes? Do they have the training and knowledge of health issues, contraindications, and special considerations necessary to ask the questions that need to be asked?

This is the kind of thing that drives me nuts. I have to do my own client intakes. There is no other way for me to feel like I've obtained all of the information that I feel I need to understand how to work with them.

I don't think I could ever work for a business that didn't have me do my own intakes... especially when done by people who know so little about so much.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.

Return to “Injury - Illness - Pathology - Procedure”