What sort of timer do you use for chair massage?

Chair massage is everywhere! Come discuss the latest trends, new opportunities, and your best techniques in the exciting field of Chair and Corporate Massage.

Moderators: Pete, MarionFM

Timedess
Registered Member

What sort of timer do you use for chair massage?

Post by Timedess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 am

Most folks do chair massage based on a "minutely" time schedule. What sort of timer do you use? Digital? "clock"-type? Chime? Buzz? Ding? Just have a clock set up somewhere to look at?

For two chairs going at the same time, separate timers/double timer? Something else?

What's your favorite way of keeping time for chair gigs?
~Renee

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:07 am

I always just used a clock.

But, I'd think if you could find a nice timer that had a nice tone that would be a good way to let clients be audibly aware their time was up and keep them from feeling cheated of a "minute", which I guess could occur in a "fair" type setting.

Chair massages I have done in the past have been corporate, at five minutes per client for straight 4 hours (no break / or a 5-10 minute mini-break). So, in my case a clock worked fine.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 am

I was considering using a double timer, but I am thinking now that two different ones might be better (so the therapists could "tune in" to their own, and not have to worry about which one was theirs).

At the office, we use a clock on the wall, and that does work fine. But we'll need something more portable and definite for gigs.
~Renee

Blisss
Registered Member

Post by Blisss » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 am

My watch has a timer function, so I use that. If you watch doesn't, you can find one cheaply at your local Wal-Mart. Look for a sports watch.

I saw this timer on Amazon.com, and it has the option of light, vibration or sound for the alarm. I haven't tried it, but the light/vibration would be a quiet way to signal you that time was up, without jarring your client:

Amazon.com Link

The only catch is that it's just a timer (no clock). When I'm doing a chair massage gig, I like to keep track of time overall as well, to make sure I'm not falling behind schedule. That's why I use the watch.

cicerone
Registered Member

Post by cicerone » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:25 am

I use a small kitchen timer, because I to not wear a watch and a clock is not always available. I do not use it on "timer" mode (that counts down and sounds off) but in a timing mode that simply counts off the minutes. It's digital, with large easy-to-read numbers, and I place it where it can be seen by the client (when not head-down in the face cradle, of course :-).
Denise

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 am

I don't wear a watch. I like the idea of counting UP the minutes, rather than counting down a pre-set number of minutes, because what if they decide they want more time? I like the idea of a "softer" alert at the end of the time. Hummm, decisions, decisions. :D Thanks for your answers!
~Renee

Blisss
Registered Member

Post by Blisss » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:38 pm

For the record, I don't wear a watch in my daily life. I only wear it for chair massage (for the timer). That said, here's one more timer I found that counts Up or Down (your choice), and has a clock as well:

Amazon.com Link

Have fun choosing!

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Wow. I kinda like the around-the-neck feature. The client couldn't see it that way, though- and it would probably dangle down and with my luck, get caught between me and the client right when I was doing a good stretch and choke me, lol!

I'll end up either bringing a clock to set on the table, or buying a cheap timer somewhere. I need one by this weekend (yay, but I'm having a hard time feeling excited about it right now. I'm tired and my back hurts. I need a massage!)
~Renee

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:08 pm

I should update that I carry my clock with me. It looks like this, but (of course!) in hot pink (link at Amazon):

But, since someone mentioned the around the neck thing... we had a pretty good thread going a while ago... Travel Clocks You'll even find a vibrating timer in the thread, so as not to have too much noise going on. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Talenyn
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Talenyn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:17 am

I have one of those too pueppi. I also use my hand dandy iPhone now too. It has a timer feature with a large display.

I've thought about purchasing a Zen alarm clock, the digital one has a timer, which has a nice chime, but it is a little bit of an investment.

Zen Alarm Clock

I've used one for years, I had the pyramid clock for the longest time, but now use the digital one for my alarm clock. My only complaint is that for me it usually doesn't wake me up progressively, I wake on the first chime. (Or is that because of the cat on my bladder??? hmmm)
The Other Side of the Sun - Earth's Treasures Brought to Light - www.tosots.com

CONTRARYMARY
Fresh Hands

Re: What sort of timer do you use for chair massage?

Post by CONTRARYMARY » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:22 am

SPORTSWATCH - with a stopwatch and a regular clock- I wear my lotion holster and loop strap through watch - I work in a hotel lobby "complimentary" with the possibility of tips - unscheduled- walk-ups. It helps me to not overgive, and to keep on track if people are waiting.
I often forget to set it - and I usually get lost in the work... but setting the watch really helps to keep my sessions 'even'.

LadyNiko
Registered Member
Location: Somewhere on Planet Earth in an apartment ruled by 2 cats

Post by LadyNiko » Mon May 10, 2010 9:55 am

I have a small digital travel alarm clock that I use and don't set the alarm, just make a mental note of the time when I start, since I am doing 10 minute sessions on Wednesday afternoons at the wellness center of a company in town now and the common area has a nice big clock, but I don't have or really want one in the room I'm in. :)
The little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away! he he ho ho ha ha!

LMTyogini
Registered Member

Post by LMTyogini » Tue May 18, 2010 11:49 am

Could you use an hour glass? Find one thats 'set' for 5 minutes or so. It wouldn't jar your client and they can 'see' that the time has passed.

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue May 18, 2010 3:37 pm

LMTyogini wrote:Could you use an hour glass? Find one thats 'set' for 5 minutes or so. It wouldn't jar your client and they can 'see' that the time has passed.
That's an interesting idea, LMT-Y.

I don't actually even NEED a timer for chair massage now, LOL! We aren't doing "chair gigs" hardly at all; when we do, it's the both of us going together and one massages and the other times with one of our cell phones. Low tech to be sure, but who cares? LOL! When we have a chair client walk-in at the office, we have a clock up on the wall near the massage chair so we can just keep an eye on that. Easy!
~Renee

Talenyn
Retired Moderator - SSS

Post by Talenyn » Tue May 18, 2010 4:18 pm

I actually use my iPhone's time, I have it set on the harp tone, so it's not too jarring. Most clients don't even notice the timer going off. If they want a few more minutes it is easily done with a couple of taps, I've had enough practice clients don't notice any change of flow. :) Although It took a bit of doing at first.
The Other Side of the Sun - Earth's Treasures Brought to Light - www.tosots.com

Return to “Chair and Corporate Massage”