Flexible spending accounts?

Client related discussion, Q&A, how-to's, HCFA's, billing, reimbursement and more!

Moderator: Pete

Flexible spending accounts?

Postby rtamm on Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:59 pm

I had a client inquire about his flexible spending account and seeing if massage is part of the approved expenses. Has anyone here worked with a flexible spending account, and if so, how did it work? Did you just give your clients a receipt for services so they could submit it for reimbursement?
Rebecca
rtamm
Registered Member

Postby stonegirl on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:08 pm

I have clients whose flex account covers massage. they have to check with their company as some require a doctors approval, etc. The only responsibility I have had is to give them a receipt. The rest is up to them.
stonegirl

Postby Breathe on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 pm

Same. Most FSAs will NOT reimburse for massage, so each person has to check with their own carrier. Usually they have to have a doctor's referral to qualify, and then the same rules apply as for submitting for insurance reimbursement.

I have a receipt designed especially for FSA. I enter the modality used (and CPT code, though nobody in FSA-land seems to care about units yet.) On the right side there is a Body Map, a key, and a small S.O.A.P. section. I just take a few quick handwritten notes in the box, sign and date, make a copy and give the original to the client. It takes about 5 minutes after the session, and these clients know to wait.
abusing the word "actually" since 1973
Breathe
Registered Member

Postby Blisss on Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:18 pm

For Flexible Spending Accounts, there's no need for progress notes. Clients just need a prescription for massage from their doctor and a monetary receipt from the massage therapist. The client then sends a copy of the prescription each time he/she submits a massage therapy receipt for reimbursement.
Blisss
Registered Member

Postby moose_goose on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:09 pm

I have a question about those benefit cards- the ones that are like credit cards. Is there a way to accept those for massage? Does anyone here do that?

The card I'm thinking of is "Benny" -

Your HFA and FSA comes with the Benny Prepaid Benefits Card, which is loaded withthe value of your HRA adn also your annual FSA election amount.
moose_goose
Registered Member

Postby Gaspen on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Yes. I have seen a client with just such a card. They have to find out if their insurance carrier will accept it. From my end, I just use it as a regular charge card with no problems.

There was no difficulty. As for FSAs, the same as above.
Glad ta meetcha...I'm your handy man.
www.SpencerMassage.com
Gaspen
Registered Member

Postby moose_goose on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Gaspen wrote:Yes. I have seen a client with just such a card. They have to find out if their insurance carrier will accept it. From my end, I just use it as a regular charge card with no problems.

There was no difficulty. As for FSAs, the same as above.

good to know, thanks!
moose_goose
Registered Member

Re: Flexible spending accounts?

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:48 am

I have a few clients that use there Flex Spending cards just like a credit card so far all the ones I have processed have gone through
JLWmassage

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:13 am

JLWmassage wrote:I have a few clients that use there Flex Spending cards just like a credit card so far all the ones I have processed have gone through

Your success in accepting these cards will depend on how your merchant account is coded. If you are listed as a Spa, they probably won't go through. We have this issue frequently.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby JLWmassage on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:33 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:
JLWmassage wrote:I have a few clients that use there Flex Spending cards just like a credit card so far all the ones I have processed have gone through

Your success in accepting these cards will depend on how your merchant account is coded. If you are listed as a Spa, they probably won't go through. We have this issue frequently.

I am listed as Massage Therapy
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 am

I thought I would post an update. I am able to take flex spending and health savings account cards with my square reader and with htp://www.cellcharge.com reader as well
JLWmassage

Postby JLWmassage on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:15 am

Update

I have changed to Groupon Breadcrumb for credit card processing and flex spending/HSA account cards go through.
JLWmassage

Return to Insurance