Please help me in choosing web hosting

An artistic area and computer technology section all rolled into one. Here to help bring you into the computer information age and provide inspiration for your website.

Moderators: Talenyn, stonegirl

Please help me in choosing web hosting

Postby 0as on Fri May 29, 2009 3:55 am

Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (ixwebhosting.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
0as
Fresh Hands

Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting

Postby pueppi on Fri May 29, 2009 8:20 am

we use startlogic... have not experienced any downtimes (am under weather... sorry for no caps. -- look in website section for the lnik to them)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 pm

Hello, I notice you are new, so you may have not had an idea as to what forum I was speaking of. Here is the link to our forum on website topics: Website Ideas, Software & Technical Information

Here is a link to where I mentioned startlogic as a host (we've been using them for about 6 years now, they have their idiosyncracies, but I figure all hosts do -- overall, they have been ok) --> This link also has some other options referred to in it; the main one being godaddy.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12811

Welcome to BWOL!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby cy on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:36 am

this may be a little late, but I use GoDaddy and Vistaprint.
"The purpose of our lives is to be happy."
H.H. the Dalai Lama

Bodhih Bodywork
Furthering Wellness with Awareness
www.bodhihbodywork.com
cy
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:49 am

Currently I am also keeping an additional site on BlueHost, which seems to be going well. I like their ease of use and tutorials.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby JasonE on Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:35 pm

I have had good service from www.1and1.com - very user-friendly and reliable, with competitive rates. The technical support has been very good, when I needed it.

The only thing I dislike is the e-mail service. It's very reliable and feature-packed, but I have to delete e-mails one at a time instead of being able to delete them in groups.
Jason Erickson, NCTMB, ACE-CPT, AIS-TA
Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer
http://www.CSTMinnesota.com

Internet forums are like going to the zoo; if you get enough monkeys together, sooner or later someone will start throwing their poo.
JasonE
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby Blue on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:04 am

One to stay away from is www.whois.com I've had a site up w/them for a year and it has been one nightmare after another. As the domain name is about to expire and the one-year hosting contract is also up for renewal, I chose to move both hosting and the site. The support is so inept that after more than two WEEKS, nobody in their entire support staff has been able to figure out how to release the domain name to allow it to be transferred. Either that or they are refusing and lying, but they are not exactly making money on my tiny account.
Blue
Registered Member

Postby ivylmt15 on Sun May 15, 2011 11:29 am

I currently use BlueHost for my blog, and Yahoo! Merchant Solutions for my ecommerce site. So far, I've been really happy with BlueHost.

Yahoo, not as much. It's been OK as far as minimized downtime and such, but it is not very flexible. Outside of flexibility, the greatest downside has been blog hosting. I first started my blog on my ecommerce site w/Yahoo, which allows for a Wordpress install; but forces it onto a subdomain. So instead of getting www.advancedmassagetechniques.com/blog like I wanted, I had to settle for site.advancedmasssagetechniques.com/blog. *Technical jargon, blah blah blah*, not search engine friendly. On top of that, the load time was ridiculous. So slow, I deemed it unusable, and moved my blog to Bluehost. I'm hoping to move my ecommerce site to BlueHost soon, as well.

Since Jason mentioned 1and1.com, I'll share that I haven't used it for hosting, but for domain purchasing, 1and1.com and namecheap.com are my favorites.
My massage blog, Massage & Bloggywork
Learn about donating 10% of massage CEU proceeds to charity (Massage Therapy Foundation and Smile Train)
ivylmt15
Fresh Hands

Postby karmstrong on Mon May 30, 2011 3:22 am

I know that it is very hard to choose the right web hosting company. The are so many different providers but finally I have chosen IX Web hosting. Their services fulfill my requirements best.
karmstrong
Fresh Hands

Postby JLWmassage on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:40 am

I have been using Site Build It for my website for about 2 months now and so far so good. With my old server I was getting about 15 visitors a day and now I have about an average of 80.
JLWmassage

Postby pueppi on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 am

pueppi wrote:Currently I am also keeping an additional site on BlueHost, which seems to be going well. I like their ease of use and tutorials.

Update on my BlueHost site (I use them for my blog site). I have had on instance of downtime. It was approximately 2 weeks prior to my yearly re-list with them. I was paid through for another month, and yet the sit shut down about two weeks prior. As soon as I re-listed with them, the site popper back up within minutes. I wrote the company, and they assured me it was a glitch, but I have a sneaky suspician it was their way of wanting to get me to re-sign. However, because the company stated that was not the case, I will continue with them for one more year, and see if it happens again. That way I will know if it was a fluke or not.

I have had no other problems with them, so I am not convinced I want to change yet.
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby katamay on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Anyone but GoDaddy. They're nothing but a pain in the gluteals. :P

I've heard good things about lunarpages.com

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com
katamay
Registered Member

Postby ivylmt15 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 pm

pueppi wrote:
pueppi wrote:Currently I am also keeping an additional site on BlueHost, which seems to be going well. I like their ease of use and tutorials.

Update on my BlueHost site (I use them for my blog site). I have had on instance of downtime. It was approximately 2 weeks prior to my yearly re-list with them. I was paid through for another month, and yet the sit shut down about two weeks prior. As soon as I re-listed with them, the site popper back up within minutes. I wrote the company, and they assured me it was a glitch, but I have a sneaky suspician it was their way of wanting to get me to re-sign. However, because the company stated that was not the case, I will continue with them for one more year, and see if it happens again. That way I will know if it was a fluke or not.

I have had no other problems with them, so I am not convinced I want to change yet.

peuppi, I currently have 2 sites on Bluehost. I haven't experienced any similar, but the closest I got to letting my plan expire was right about 1 month. I'll have to check around online to see if there are similar reports. I certainly hope it was unrelated, as I really like Bluehost, but I would find such a practice unacceptable. :(
My massage blog, Massage & Bloggywork
Learn about donating 10% of massage CEU proceeds to charity (Massage Therapy Foundation and Smile Train)
ivylmt15
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Update... we switched to BlueHost from Startlogic for our business website in 2012, and have been with them every since. No problems, and planning on keeping them indefinitely.

I used my blog as the test run with them, and have had no other problems than that one glitch in 2011. It's now 2016.

NOTE: Startlogic did not make it easy to do the switch, but BlueHost told us exactly what we needed to get from them, how to acquire the information, and took care of it on their end. As someone who is not very computer savvy, BlueHost did a good job of keeping me sane through the drama from the Startlogic camp.
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Website Ideas, Software & Technical Information