SSL Certificate or Use 3d Party

An artistic area and computer technology section all rolled into one. Here to help bring you into the computer information age and provide inspiration for your website.

Moderators: Talenyn, stonegirl

SSL Certificate or Use 3d Party

Postby TurtleMan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 am

I have a page on my site for Gift Certificate purchases that uses Google Checkout for the backend. Thinking of expanding to sell other products. The guy I am talking with is suggesting I get the SSL certificate so that I have more flexibility for processing payments down the road. Being a web novice, I am hesitant to take on ANother annual expense for the website, particularly since I am not sure if I need it.

I'd love to hear from people who understand this type of thing, when it makes sense to go this route versus using a shopping cart from a third party vendor.
TurtleMan
Fresh Hands

Re: SSL Certificate or Use 3d Party

Postby EgoMagickian on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 pm

You won't need a SSL certificate unless and until you stop using Google checkout and start using a system that requires one. There is no benefit to buying one in advance.

Are any of the products you're thinking about selling virtual (ebooks, mp3s, etc) or are they all shipped goods? You can probably be happy with Google Checkout for shipped goods for a long time.

These decisions should be driven by your business needs. So if and when Google Checkout no longer meets your needs (because your needs have grown or changed), then you will search for a new solution that better meets your needs. That might be a hosted shopping cart solution (no SSL certificate needed) or you may end up deciding to host your own cart (3rd party pre made, or custom built) and at that point need the certificate.
EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Return to Website Ideas, Software & Technical Information