changing websites?

An artistic area and computer technology section all rolled into one. Here to help bring you into the computer information age and provide inspiration for your website.

Moderators: Talenyn, stonegirl

changing websites?

Postby jdcan on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:09 am

I am switching hosts and changing my domain name but I'm keeping the same business name.

Does anyone know if I need to "unsubmit" my old website from Google so that my new website can rank on a higher page?
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Re: changing websites?

Postby MarionFM on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 am

I asked my son your question and he gives the following response and hopes it helps!

They need to put in 301 redirects from any page on the old site that may be in Google to the appropriate page on the new site. They will want to keep the old site live with all its pages redirecting for quite some time. Preferably forever.

That way when Google crawlers land on their old site they will get the message that the site has permanently moved to the new domain. Google will then automatically swap the urls in their search results to display the new site.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby jdcan on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 am

Uh oh!

I was hoping I could just "cancel" the old site since I won't be with that host company anymore. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to ask your son and posting.
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby jdcan on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:42 pm

I found a "delete this site" link in the website info home page of the company I'm trying to move away from. What are the repercussions if I do this?

My new site, with my new company, is up and I (after several tries) submitted it to Google, Bing and Yahoo.
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby MarionFM on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 pm

He is really swamped but he said he will try to reply. I will let you know.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby jdcan on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:18 pm

Thank you Marion, when he gets a chance...

More information is my current clients won't be going to my old site, so no one should be looking for it. I think that might matter as to the "just delete" the old one question. If the answer is still "no, I need to have them (they) 301 it," who does that, the old web host?

Thanks again. You're awesome. Tell your son thank you as well.
jdcan
Moderator-S.S.S

Postby pueppi on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:41 pm

MarionFM wrote:
They need to put in 301 redirects from any page on the old site that may be in Google to the appropriate page on the new site. They will want to keep the old site live with all its pages redirecting for quite some time. Preferably forever.

That way when Google crawlers land on their old site they will get the message that the site has permanently moved to the new domain. Google will then automatically swap the urls in their search results to display the new site.

Someone sounds like they are full of smartness! :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Website Ideas, Software & Technical Information