Massage Advocacy for legal working conditions

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Massage Advocacy for legal working conditions

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am

Thought this was interesting...

I'm the organizer with a nonprofit called Working America here in Chicago, and I've been working with a group of massage therapists on creating a sustained advocacy organization to tackle the issues MTs face in the industry and various workplaces. Misclassification and wage theft are two big ones that consistently come up with the massage therapists I work with.

I'd love to pick your brain about your experiences and tell you more about our campaign for positive change.

Thanks,

Katie Gregg
Massage Advocacy Project
Working America, AFL-CIO
[email protected]
http://www.massageadvocacyproject.org/
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Re: Massage Advocacy for legal working conditions

Postby pueppi on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Is this person requesting you post it for them on this site? Or, is it a private e-mail that you are re-posting? I am not sure why this is interesting... maybe you would like to enlighten us?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Massage Advocacy for legal working conditions

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 am

Not sure how private the email is as several of my employees received it and forwarded it to me.

A) Interesting that a union is involved (massage therapists in Portland unionized at the Dosha Salon chain and it has been a disaster)
B) The salon & spa industry has been a "gig" economy long before it was fashionable, with a high % of establishments not following basic labor laws
C) MTs are their own worst enemies not being educated about their rights in the workplace and here is someone trying to change that by providing education and advocacy.

Every politician decries the lack of "real jobs" in this country over the last decade, and it could easily be argued that this issue gave us our current President.

Yet MTs seem to march lemming-like to non-real jobs -- illegal situations in the name of "freedom & flexibility" while undercutting their own best interests.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas