The Client No Show Rant Thread!

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Postby shivashiva on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

That is super cool! Definitely gives me a good feeling about enforcing my own policies. Good job, Blisss.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby TPBT on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:27 pm

While I sit here and stew over a no show that was a spa therapy which took considerable prep, I have typed up a cancellation notice which simply states: WE REQUIRE A 24 HOUR NOTICE IF YOU MUST CANCEL A SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO CANCEL WITH A 24 HOUR NOTICE OR IF YOU DO NOT SHOW FOR A SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT, THEN ALL FUTURE APPOINTMENTS MUST BE PREPAID. IF YOU DO NOT SHOW FOR A PREPAID APPOINTMENT, THERE IS NO REFUND.

I have been too forgiving in the past - no more mr. nice guy!

Ahhh, I think I feel better already.....
Headaches are not caused by an aspirin deficiency.
TPBT
Fresh Hands

Postby gpcmassage on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:10 am

On my health intake forms, right before the client signs the bottom I have 4 short paragraphs that they must initial by they read....
1.24 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY, I understand I am responsible for a $25 fee in the event that I am unable to provide 24 hour notice prior to appointment. In the event that I miss a scheduled appointment I wil be billed at the current rate. I agree to these terms and understand my account will be billed under the conditions stated.
2.LATE POLICY I understand if I show up late for my scheduled apopintment, that time will be deducted from my session & I will be charged for the full session.

and then the other two are in regards to me not being a chiropractor, since I work with 2 of them in the office & that their records are confidential and that I have the right to refuse service and can stop a session at any time.

I figure by getting their initals by each one before they sign stating that all the above info is true to the best to their knowledge and whatnot, they are more likely to at least skim it so if they do miss or whatever - I can say, well you did initial next to it and they can't say they didn't see it. Also as far as my 24 hour cx goes... i am forgiving with that to an extent. If someone calls and they are sick or have a good reason I understand, we have to be forgiving because we would want that for us if something was to come up. :D
gpcmassage
Registered Member

Re: The Client No Show Rant Thread!

Postby tcmassage on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:22 am

Spock wrote:A place to let it all out my brothers and sisters.... LOL :lol:

Okay, had a client I have not seen in about 2 years. One of those people who doesn't take time for self care, kids, McMansion, hubby, dog, crazy schedule, etc etc.

She emailed and asked for a session within 2 days, and I don't have anything open until next week. She cannot make it next week due to vacation. So I squuueeezed her in on Friday afternoon. We confirmed the day before. Her appointment time comes and goes, no client. I called and left a message letting her know the time and that i was waiting for her and that I hoped she was okay. 2 hours later I got a very apologetic call that she was at another appointment in another town and knew she would be late to her appointment with me (very tightly scheduled due to being fully booked and her needing it that day I might add) and she was not able to make it.
:roll:

It gave me time to go get cat food at least! :P

State your cancellation policy. Always tell them you'd appreciate minimum of x hours for reschedule or cancellation.

I don't think charging a late fee is the best idea. Some clients feel offended. From my experience, what works best is to remind them!! Most people just forget.

I am using an online appointment booking which uses automated email and text message reminders. My clients (the ones booking online) love them, and rarely miss appointments. Other ones I just remind by calling them.
tcmassage
Fresh Hands

Postby padanarampundy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi everyone-I posted long ago about my long time client -- she never has reappeared.
:(
I now have a policy of 100% cancellation fee if not cancelled 24hours prior,with some leniency. But not for the 2nd time client who didn't call or email me-when I called her 5 minutes into her 1 1/2 hour appointment, she answered the phone and told me she had sprained her leg and was in bed-I felt so badly-until she told me she had sprained it 3 days prior! She will be paying the fee when she comes in for her next appointment.
padanarampundy
Fresh Hands

Postby melekalikimaka on Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:48 pm

I work at a spa with about 9 independent contractor MTs. One of them called me today around 4pm to say that someone had left a message on the answering machine (we don't have a receptionist) looking for a massage this evening, and asked if I wanted it. I said sure, so he called the client and booked him for 6pm with me.
I got ready, drove 20 minutes, gave myself a half hour to get the room and everything ready (I hate being rushed) - and the guy NO SHOWED! He couldn't possibly have forgotten; he had only booked the massage 2 hours earlier! So I spent a total of 40 minutes driving, and 45 minutes getting the room ready and then waiting for him. Grrrrrr!
Sorry, I just needed to vent.
melekalikimaka
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

melekalikimaka,

If I were you I'd be checking the spa policy for dealing with
the no-show & expect to be compensated in some way for my time. Hopefully they got a credit card they can charge the appt. on. You should not have to be expected to have put in the time & energy (not to mention gas expense) on this one!
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.
riversinger

Postby jyoti on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:28 pm

For whatever reason, I've found that 2nd-time clients and those who schedule an appointment to begin within the next couple of hours tend to no-show more frequently. I'm unsure as to exactly why this is, but in the first case, I think that the client rescheduled just after their first appointment to be polite or something and then didn't feel like calling to cancel, just figuring they'd let their appointment come and go. In the second case, same-day people can be flaky anyway, and for some of them, massage can be sort of an afterthought, something to be done at their convenience. I've also noticed the same thing back when I used to work some of the non-family holidays (like 4th of July), and probably for the same reason as the same-day scenario. These types of clients rarely make good committed clients. I know I'm generalizing and there are plenty of exceptions! But while this isn't hard and fast, it's a trend I've noticed over the past several years. This is what prompted us to start reserving appts with credit cards.
jyoti
Retired Moderator

Postby riversinger on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Then of course there are the men who want that same day/evening appointment, because they are looking to satisfy the need for touch (sensual or otherwise) and they
"want it now". He may have canceled because he ended up
finding what he was really looking for elsewhere. :roll:
riversinger

Postby jyoti on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:42 pm

riversinger wrote:Then of course there are the men who want that same day/evening appointment, because they are looking to satisfy the need for touch (sensual or otherwise) and they
"want it now". He may have canceled because he ended up
finding what he was really looking for elsewhere. :roll:

LMAO TELL me about it. :roll: ;)
jyoti
Retired Moderator

Postby padanarampundy on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:30 am

Oooops-she did it [email protected]
I have a practice at a little day spa, and an outcall(mobile)practice) I have a client in the little day spa who has been to me 4 times once a month she has called two days before and rescheduled due to a medical situation, arrived 15 minutes late on another occasion and the other two times been right on time and ready to go. However she has no showed for other services. Yesterday she had an 11:15a.m. appointment-no show. I had regretfully not been able to see a very good mobile client who wanted to book two massages at her home (she had a guest visiting)but only had the mid morning available. I lost a lot of money. I called the missing client but only left a message. I will collect if I ever see her again. I am thinking I am going to ask her to confirm her appointment the day prior from now on. She calls me in other words. THoughts?
padanarampundy
Fresh Hands

Postby shivashiva on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:25 am

If you decide to keep her as a client, I think you should to confirm her appointments. If you ask her to call, you will still be in the same situation you are now. She won't call and you'll be wondering whether or not she'll show up. I call to confirm with any client I am unsure about. This is standard practice.
Shiva
O friend, understand. / The body is like the ocean, rich with hidden treasures. / Open your innermost chamber / And light its lamp - Mirabai
Blue Lotus Day Spa, Ruidoso, NM | Residential Yoga Teacher Trainings & Bali Yoga Retreats
shivashiva
Registered Member

Postby riversinger on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:15 am

It's obvious that in the case of those spa no-shows that clients need to be told up front, that if you no-show, especially without 24 hours notice that they will be charged in full. While confirmation calls are needed, some folks just won't get it, until they get hit in the pocket-book. It does
serve as a wake-up call !

padanarampundy,
I would have no problem telling this client, that if this occurs yet again you will not be able to book her an appointment, and explain what has occurred as a result of
her no-shows. JMHO, but then of course your spa has to be willing to back you up on this too.
riversinger

Postby tigger2 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:54 am

Oh man, it happened to me yesterday!! Only I was going to him, but knock, knock, knock - no answer. So after I got home, I got ahold of him, and he has the audacity to lie and say he was there all the time. What's wrong with people sometimes?

I'm leaning REALLY strongly toward using credit cards for new people.
You can also find me on Facebook :)
tigger2
Fresh Hands

Postby padanarampundy on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:34 am

Hey Tigger-bummer, that's the problem with a mobile practice! Having had this happen to me this is what I have learned :D
1. Call the day before
2. Call as you are leaving
3. Call as you drive there :roll:
or one of the above lol
4. NEVER take your stuff out of your van until you know they are there and ready to greet you.
5. If no one answers the door, have their numbers ready and call them, if they don't answer, leave a message that it is "5p and I am standing in your driveway" or whatever.
6. If they say they will pay you for your missed time-say "sure!!!!" Don't be angelic.
7. If they have air conditioning and ask you if you would like to have it on, say yes, don't stand there in a puddle of sweat being polite and professional, with your eyes stinging and your shirt stuck to your back, and sweat pooling in your sport bra.....oh! wait! off topic, that's for another day
padanarampundy
Fresh Hands

Postby amyisms on Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:11 am

We don't take cc# either. Too much to have the front desk at the club I rent space from to do, they have enough problems getting our appointments made right.

I've had a lot of no-shows in the last 6 months. I few from a stylist, and nail tech, who should know better. I've changed the cancellation policy to at least 2 hrs before their appointment (I can re-book that quick). If they don't or do not show for their appointment they get charged full price (was only a $20 cahrge before). Here's the problem. I can only invoice them, if they are club members or have been in before. If they don't pay their inovice, I will not book them again. And if they do get on my schedule I call them and let them know that I will have to cancel their appointment unless the incvoice and a pre payment for their upcoming massage is paid in advance.

I can't beleive how rude people are.
amyisms
Registered Member

Postby Anastasia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:38 pm

I had a no show done to me by a massage therapist once, out of all people! It was a trade.
Her appointment was at 1:30. I was just about to leave my house at 1 when she called and cancelled. I was literally standing in the door grabbing my car keys when she called. Did she get sick or get into an accident? Nooo...she stated that she had a nice relaxing morning at home and just didn't feel like leaving her house. Needless to say, I don't barter with that person anymore. How rude.

BTW, thankfully, I had a paying client who had called that morning and wanted a 1:30 appointment. I was able to get a hold of her and quickly get her in.
Anastasia
Registered Member

Postby AngEngland on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:18 pm

Anastasia wrote:I had a no show done to me by a massage therapist once, out of all people! It was a trade.
Her appointment was at 1:30. I was just about to leave my house at 1 when she called and cancelled. I was literally standing in the door grabbing my car keys when she called. Did she get sick or get into an accident? Nooo...she stated that she had a nice relaxing morning at home and just didn't feel like leaving her house. Needless to say, I don't barter with that person anymore. How rude.

BTW, thankfully, I had a paying client who had called that morning and wanted a 1:30 appointment. I was able to get a hold of her and quickly get her in.

I just had a second-time client no call, no show me and she is the DAUGHTER of a massage therapist. *wry grin* She'll be recieving my "thanks for coming" postcard just a few days before she recieves an invoice and invitation to reschedule her missed appointment as soon as her account is brought current. *wry grin*

I know good and well she's heard her momma gripe about this very thing more than once! She, of ALL people, should know better.

Angela <><
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby Anastasia on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:33 pm

jyoti wrote:For whatever reason, I've found that 2nd-time clients

tend to no-show more frequently. I'm unsure as to exactly why this is, but I think that the client rescheduled just after their first appointment to be polite or something and then didn't feel like calling to cancel, just figuring they'd let their appointment come and go.

Ditto. I have had it happen. I even had second time people no show after I made a confirmation call and actually TALKED to them. Would it KILL them to let me know they were not coming? A lot of times they are GC holders. They come in, get their free massage, feel great and reschedule. Then when the appt time looms, they realize that they don't want to pay $60 or something and just don't show.
Anastasia
Registered Member

Postby padanarampundy on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Hey! :) My long time client I referred to several weeks ago has reappeared! :) She called me at home-we have known each other a long time-left a message for me to give her a call when I had a minute, asked me if she could "please book an appointment", apologised during the course of conversation for "blowing me off", made reference to a difficult time in her business and hoped she could see me every two weeks. She booked 3 appointments ahead. I welcomed her with open arms(lol) and told her that I would be emailing her reminders and that there was a 50% fee for missed appointments, she agreed that was fair. She did arrive for her first appointment-5 minutes early-we'll see how it goes. I am hoping this works out this time as she is one of those people who knows EVERYBODY and I am still building my year round practice, (we have a good size summer population that keeps me hopping in June, July and August-not as busy the rest of the year).
And Anastasia, I agree about the GC people, I have found that to be true as well.
padanarampundy
Fresh Hands

Postby Anastasia on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 am

Just had a no show - second timer like we discussed before! I KNEW she was not going to show; after a while I developed a sixth sense when it comes to no shows. I don't know why people feel obligated to rebook and then don't have the courtesy to let me know. I had a client who would leave me cancellation messages either at midnight or 5 am when she knew I was not going to answer. And you know what? It was OK. Better than no call at all.
This was a Thai massage so I had to go thru the motions of moving my rather heavy table and rolling out the rather heavy mat. Then putting it all back together.
When the client booked, she wrote it down in her planner in front of me, told me she didn't need a confirmation call. She seemed like a very nice person and she is a small business owner in a related field. I really liked her. Just NOT GOOD!
Anastasia
Registered Member

Postby AngEngland on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:49 am

Anastasia wrote: I had a client who would leave me cancellation messages either at midnight or 5 am when she knew I was not going to answer. And you know what? It was OK. Better than no call at all.

Yeah - ditto all that. I've had clients TEXT MESSAGE ME to cancel and I know good and well it's just because they don't want to "talk" to me.

Angela <><
AngEngland
Registered Member

Postby gpcmassage on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:53 pm

I just had a client that saw me the first time and was soooo pleased with my massage and said she likes to get massages on a weekly basis at least 1 every 2 weeks and she just moved to the area so needs a new therapist and others she has tried didn't do a good job. So she was pleased with me and booked at the end of her first session... then didn't show for her next on the following week... she signed a thing saying that she understood she would be billed for the hour if she didn't show without a cancellation... I sent her a bill, but needless to say I haven't seen a check yet - not expecting one but it made me feel better sending it when I had to stick around for the hour she didn't show up for at 5:30 cuz I had to book another client at 6:45 after hers was suppose to be.
gpcmassage
Registered Member

Postby softy515 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:12 am

I have been having issues with last minute cancellations. One client seems to always be sick. She will call that day but hardly in enough time for me to fill the time with another client. Last time, I reminded her about the cancellation policy and she says "Well, I didn't have diarhhea 24 hours ago."

Grrrr!
softy515
Registered Member

Postby jyoti on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:52 pm

softy515 wrote:I have been having issues with last minute cancellations. One client seems to always be sick. She will call that day but hardly in enough time for me to fill the time with another client. Last time, I reminded her about the cancellation policy and she says "Well, I didn't have diarhhea 24 hours ago."

Grrrr!

Dang, that's frustrating! I mean, I know that ppl rarely have control over getting the runs, but when someone calls in sick, we just have to take their word for it. They may or may not be faking it. We have no choice, though, but to say OK, and let it slide....that is, until it becomes a chronic issue. That definitely changes the ballgame. Since she knows by now (or at least, she should) that she is prone to GI upset which can impact her massage appt, then...Hehe - I have an idea:

Maybe DON'T let her schedule in advance, since she's taking up a valuable spot that you now have to turn away others for. What's worse is, she doesn't seem to be understanding of you and the fact that you have to make a living and she's prohibiting you from doing that, at least for the time she has taken and then wasted. What I'd do is, offer to put her on a waiting list during days that you already have people scheduled, and then if someone cancels on short notice, call her up and ask if she wants the spot. Maybe even give her a slight discount for doing so on the short notice. That way, she gets a little break off of the cost, and you get a fill-in, without having to devote a spot to her all week (and then she goes and breaks the appt).

Just an idea :)
Hugs,
~Jyoti
jyoti
Retired Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas