Working intoxicated?

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Yan
Fresh Hands

Working intoxicated?

Post by Yan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Question is mostly to those who work from home. So you have your clinic at home and you know, for the most part you work weekdays, but may be your website says that you can accommodate emergencies on weekends as well. Or it's just your regular client who calls in on Saturday night sometime after 7pm and says that he/she just threw their back out (or whatever) and could you please please please take them in tonight. And you don't really mind, you know, it's extra money, and you'll help this person out, so why not. But there is a BUT - you just had dinner with a glass (or two-three) of wine. You are not drunk, far from it, but it still doesn't look 100% professional. They may feel it on your breath, you know. So what do you do? Tell them no because you've had something to drink? Tell them no and make up some other reason. Tell them 'sure, I'll see you in half an hour'?

Massagynist
Fresh Hands

Re: Working intoxicated?

Post by Massagynist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

You wouldn't tell the client that you have drank and can't work on them. If you aren't comfortable with it then give them a different and more neutral reason.

tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 pm

I probably just wouldn't answer the phone unless it was a number I'd programmed in (sister, friends etc), after all, you deserve your free time too and don't *need* to be on call 24/7. Someone may be in some pain or discomfort overnight but no one ever died from throwing their back out and not getting a massage ASAP. And if I did by chance, answer the phone, I'd say "I am so sorry but I am unable to schedule you this evening. However, I could see you tomorrow/Monday/whenever." I wouldn't work on someone after I'd been drinking 'cause yeah, they could smell it.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

[email protected]
Registered Member

Post by [email protected] » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 am

You should absolutely not perform therapeutic practices while under the influence of any alcohol. Not only is it unprofessional (in my opinion, and what if the client smells it or can tell your eyes are glassy, or if your attitude is "off"), but I believe it is illegal in most states to be under the influence of any type of drugs or alcohol (and you wouldn't want to lose your license or reputation over a few glasses of wine ).

And while I can understand that your client is in immediate pain, there are a few other points I would address:
1) Boundaries.
If you do not normally work late night weekend sessions with this client or any others, then why change your normal hours. You need to set boundaries, you need a life too.

2) Acute pain.
It's best to wait 24-48 hours after an acute injury before doing massage, especially anything too vigorous. I would have recommended you tell the client to rest and ice the area.

3)What to tell your client.
I would not tell them you were out drinking, but simply say "No, I cannot accomdate you tonight, I have other obligations, but let's schedule you for tomorrow or the next day.

No one has ever died from a lack of massage lol, your client will survive one night, and you will be able to give a better session, and be clear headed and able to help your client more effectively.
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

softy515
Registered Member

Post by softy515 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:33 am

Wine or not, I would have them ice the area and get them in the next morning.

I know some people who can drink 3-5 glasses of wine and still function fine so it would be at your judgement call. I know I couldn't give a massage to a client after 2-3 glasses.

pear2apple
Registered Member

Post by pear2apple » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 am

If I came to see a therapist who had been drinking earlier, I would be extremely offended to know they would allow themselves to work on my body without being 100% in control and capable. I would never return, even if it was me who begged to be seen at some outrageous time on a weekend.
Licensed Massage Therapist at Fringe by Carrie Salon Studio
www.facebook.com/fringebycarrie
www.fringebycarrie.com Toledo, OH 43614
http://www.etsy.com/people/PearsPalette

Return to “Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas”