Practicing in multiple states

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Practicing in multiple states

Postby PeakPerformance on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:52 pm

I was wondering if anyone has ever practiced in multiple states. My original business plan back before I knew that you needed a separate license for each state was to travel to different states, following a horse show circuit, offering massages to the horses and their riders. Well, my original goal was just to massage horses until I realized that I needed my human license first in WA state (yes, it was that long ago.) I pretty much gave up on that dream of mine when I realized that it would be near impossible without me getting a license in every state. Which some states I may not go to every year while others I may be in most of the year. Since I've FINALLY gotten my equine massage certification, I want to revisit this dream of mine.

Has anyone traveled to multiple states without getting a license in each state? Is there a way to do this? Or is what I'm asking impossible and I just need to re-evaluate my goals again? This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and was hoping there was a way to make this work. Especially now that I have my human and horse massage license/certification. I was just never sure where to even look to see if this would work without calling every state. And no one I've asked seems to have an answer.

Thanks for any help you may be able to send my way. :)
PeakPerformance
Fresh Hands

Re: Practicing in multiple states

Postby JLWmassage on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:47 am

I travel with a dressage barn around New England doing equine and human massage. I have even gone to NEDA fall with them. I am only at the location for maybe 4 days at the most only working on the horses and people from the barn so I don't worry about the state regulations.

If I was setting up a booth and working outside of the farm I am travelling with licensing regulations maybe an issue.
JLWmassage

Postby JaeMarie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:54 am

I think you'll have to get familiar with which states require licensing, which don't have any regulation at all, and which offer reciprocity with other states. Offhand, I think in general if you're licensed in a state with requirements equal to or greater than the state you're traveling to, you're usually fine on a temporary basis. There could be different limits as to the amount of time you could practice on a temporary basis before you would have to register or apply for licensing.

Here's a place to start... http://www.amtamassage.org/regulation/index.html
JaeMarie

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:47 am

JaeMarie wrote: Offhand, I think in general if you're licensed in a state with requirements equal to or greater than the state you're traveling to, you're usually fine on a temporary basis.

In general, that is very wrong.

I only know of one state -- Maryland -- of the 10 in which we operate that has a provision for short-term visiting therapists. All others have a blanket prohibition on providing massage therapy services for compensation without having the state license.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:23 am

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:I only know of one state -- Maryland -- of the 10 in which we operate that has a provision for short-term visiting therapists. All others have a blanket prohibition on providing massage therapy services for compensation without having the state license.

Could you please also take a moment to list the 9 states of which you speak? It may help someone in the future.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby PeakPerformance on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks. So What it sounds like is it depends on the state but it's safer just to get a license for each state I think I'll be massaging in? I figured that would be the case but wanted to see if anyone has done this and found a way to make it work. Too bad there isn't a license you can get to practice in any state. ;)
PeakPerformance
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:57 am

pueppi wrote:
RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:I only know of one state -- Maryland -- of the 10 in which we operate that has a provision for short-term visiting therapists. All others have a blanket prohibition on providing massage therapy services for compensation without having the state license.

Could you please also take a moment to list the 9 states of which you speak? It may help someone in the future.

MA
NY
PA
DC
VA**
FL
IL
UT
WA
OR
CA

All require you to have the state massage license

**VA offers a "certificate" in order for you to call yourself a "certified massage therapist" but otherwise there is no state-level prohibition from someone doing massage so long as they do not use that language in advertising their services. However, each city/county may have its own requirements, ie: Alexandria requires a city massage permit, Arlington does not -- but does not allow anyone to perform massage who is not certified by the state, Charlottesville has no requirement what-soever, so anyone can provide massage legally so long as they do not use the word "certified"
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby Snackdaddy on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm licensed in MD, AZ and DE.
It used to be that if you are licensed in a state with comparable licensure requirements, you could freely do massage in MD for a maximum of 30 days per year, BUT not more than 7 days in a row.
That has been changed... the times are the same but now you can only do any of that if you successfully petition the MD massage board for permission to do so.
I'm Eric W., in AZ. "Snackdaddy" is too cryptic, but I don't know how to change it.
Snackdaddy
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 am

Snackdaddy wrote:It used to be that if you are licensed in a state with comparable licensure requirements, you could freely do massage in MD for a maximum of 30 days per year, BUT not more than 7 days in a row.
That has been changed... the times are the same but now you can only do any of that if you successfully petition the MD massage board for permission to do so.

Good to know...
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 am

I am thinking that there are allowances for educators - who are certainly making income in various states and countries without holding that license...albeit in a differnt manner.
This would probably be worth looking into to see if it would be applicable for you in some circumstances
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas