Heavy client

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Heavy client

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:40 am

I have a client who comes in several times a year for facials. I once said at the old shop that I wondered why he never got a massage since he seemed to enjoy the arm/hand/neck massage of facials so much and the owner said his daughter had told he used to but he broke the table and so never went back. Now he has called to schedule his regular facial but also wants to schedule a massage. He probably weighs at least 550. My table has a working weight of 600. I don't want to embarrass him and I certainly don't want him to get hurt but I don't want to lose my table either. Refuse? (And probably lose a client totally? Massage without deep work?)
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Re: Heavy client

Postby akashafive on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:01 am

I would probably give it a go, especially if it can be without deep work. I'd make sure that I worked slow and any deeper work was done very carefully and slowly making sure I didn't move the stroke, rather working specific spots individually. My thoughts being that if the table has a much higher static weight threshold, then if I don't jostle and rock the client too much or at all, or add a lot of pressure, then the table will not have to deal with the extra strain.

If he really has had the experience of the table breaking in the past, then I'm sure he would be understanding/appreciative of your desire to work more cautiously.
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:36 pm

I'd give it a whirl too. Let's say he does weigh 550. Then you've got 50 to spare.

I'd suggest you just ask him how much he weighs, while stating you'd really like to accomodate him, and explain that you want to make sure you are using the best table for his situation. If he says he's over 600, then you could request he hold off until you are able to find a table that has a higher working weight.

Asking would also give you an opportunity to set any boundaries on the massage, if he is close to working weight, so that he knows you aren't trying to stiff him out of deeper work.

Maybe something like:

"I know that my table works well for you when you get facials, and I'd love to schedule you for a massage. Would you mind my asking your weight so that I can determine how much movement I can allow for the table during the massage. My table has a working weight of 600lbs. which should be more than enough, but in case it is not, I may need to perform more of a general swedish so as to not stress the table. Do you mind telling me?"

I'm not the best at saying things well, so I usually have to write it out, to get a better idea of how it might sound. Of course, this may sound terrible to you. If so, maybe you can come up with something else. :)

We've got a few other threads on the forum that discuss higher weight issues. If I can locate them, I'll cross-reference them for you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. His appointment was the following day, I'd already decided to see
Him and, if need be depending on what kind of work he wanted, go from there. He was happy with a heavier Swedish, no rocking, no heavy work, he left his undershirt on so I just did compressions on his back. He mostly wanted his lower back and legs worked on anyway, so was able to do a lot of stretching work that didn't add any additional weight on the table. Everything worked out fine and he was happy.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas