"Drink water after massage to 'flush toxins' "

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

"Drink water after massage to 'flush toxins' "

Postby plucky on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:35 am

Do MTs still say this to clients?

I offer water after a massage to give the client a minute to return to Earth

But, I've had several say to me " You want me to drink water to flush toxins, isn't that right"? They tell me other MTs have told them it is to flush Lactic Acid. I know that is false and am surprised to hear that meme still going around

How do you debunk this without putting down other MTs? I admit to mumbling when clients repeat that so confidently :lol:
~Wherever you go, may you leave with a new friend~
plucky
Registered Member

Re: "Drink water after massage to 'flush toxins' "

Postby squash_blsm on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Water does support the body in elimination.
That part is true. :grin:

I have heard many clients insisting that this is true...
whatever...can't hurt...so I don't bother to "correct" someone when they say it.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby moogie on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm

I just say that that is something that used to be taught in massage schools but we now know that it is not true but I always give them water as a courtesy anyway.

Angie
moogie
Site Admin

Postby plucky on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 am

It makes one wonder where some of these myths come from :smt017
~Wherever you go, may you leave with a new friend~
plucky
Registered Member

Postby akashafive on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:44 am

Would it be okay to say that by hydrating the body, and therefore the muscles, that you are helping keep the muscle fibers from sticking together which allows more blood/fresh oxygen to get in and improve function and healing, as well as allow lymph to flow better and help removed dead cell waste (which may be a contributing factor to stuck muscle fibers)?

I admit that I tend to use this explaination with my clients when encouraging them to get some extra water in their diet. I guess it's me falling back on my biology education, but I haven't actually verified the information and would be quite embarressed if I am giving bad/wrong information. :undecided: Thoughts?
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles
akashafive
Registered Member

Postby squash_blsm on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't think that is really correct, but I would not get too technical.
I really don't want to get into this discussion with clients at all - I am a massage therapist not a nutritionist or a doctor.
I don't need to tell them to drink water. If they want to take care of themselves I think that probably already know how to do that.
Most of the biochemical actions going on in the body, down to the cellular level, require water. So how is your body supposed to work right if you don't provide it with enough water? :)
Drink water cuz your body needs it...what's so hard to understand about that?
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby JaeMarie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:51 pm

If a client asks me about drinking water afterwards, I just tell them that unless they're dehydrated or thirsty, there's really no need to increase their fluid intake. Just stay hydrated as they normally would.
JaeMarie

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas