Refunding for GCs

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Refunding for GCs

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:28 pm

I had a client whose SIL and family have purchased gcs for facials her at Christmas. The last one was last year at Christmas, she called once to schedule and then had to cancel, telling me she would call to reschedule when she knew more about her treatment schedule. She never called back. Her son left me a message this evening to call him 'regarding the gcs he bought for his mother ---" and with a bad feeling, I googled her name and she passed away a month ago. I have a feeling he's going to ask me to refund him the money. My policy is, all gc sales are final, regardless of circumstances, but I feel like I probably should in this case. No one in the family even lives in my state, so it's not like someone else could use it.

Do you think that subtracting a small fee, say $5 or the service fee I pay per cc swipe is fair when I refund it? (There may be a fee involved with cc refunding too, I haven't done it yet with my Intuit Gopayment). If I wanted to be hardnosed about it, I could say 'Sorry, all gcs are final.' but I'd feel bad doing that in this situation. So, ok to take out the fee?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Re: Refunding for GCs

Postby squash_blsm on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Trust yourself, I would do the refund and just let him know that there is a small service fee.
My philosophy is that GC's can always be refunded under the right circumstances. I would prefer that they be USED or transferred to someone else, but things happen. I think most people would not have contacted you for a refund - so I would guess that they need the money. :(

I also accept "expired" GC's.
It's good to have guidelines and policies in place like you do...but I always do whatever I feel is the right thing, even if that is different from policy.
Help make a difference in our world by joining the Spa Professionals team on Kiva.org and make a loan to someone in need today.
http://www.kiva.org/...ls/by/cindy9404
squash_blsm

Postby pueppi on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:06 pm

tranquilspirit2006 wrote:Do you think that subtracting a small fee, say $5 or the service fee I pay per cc swipe is fair when I refund it? (There may be a fee involved with cc refunding too, I haven't done it yet with my Intuit Gopayment). If I wanted to be hardnosed about it, I could say 'Sorry, all gcs are final.' but I'd feel bad doing that in this situation. So, ok to take out the fee?

I would provide the refund too. If you need to get your money back for the swipe transaction, then I cannot see any reason why they would be upset about that. s_b said it best: "...a small service fee" --- that's certainly fair.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby tranquilspirit2006 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Well, after all that, all he wanted to know was, could he give the gc to his aunt, as he doesn't live in the area and she does, and she's probably enjoy it very much. Pffft. Of course, I said Of course!! I also told him that if she didn't have the gc in her possession, it was fine as I know what it was for and I know it was never redeemed. Just have her tell me she's using - -'s gc and there will be no problem. He was extremely grateful.

I always honor expired gcs, it's silly not to. My policy is, all gc sales are final but in a case like this, I'd have been more than happy to refund it. I just wanted to know if it seemed ok to at least recoup the cc service fee. Thank you both!
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."
tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas