Denying service / descrimination

A discussion board for matters relating to appropriate business and practice ethics, matters regarding conduct of clients and practitioners as well as a place to discuss dilemmas that cross our paths.

Moderators: riversinger, jdcan

Denying service / descrimination

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Interesting turn of events this week in our DC operations

Several of the MTs who work for our company have declined to take appointments doing in-room massages for hotel guests, citing not wanting to work on Trump supporters.

We now live in a world where a Christian baker/photographer is sued for refusing to provide a wedding cake or photograph a gay wedding, yet MTs (many of whom are LGBT) refuse services based on their own political beliefs and biases.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Re: Denying service / descrimination

Postby MarionFM on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:06 pm

If you don't end up in a civil war - or plunge the rest of the world into a world war- it will be a miracle.
MarionFM
Moderator-S.S.S

Make America Fact Based Again

Postby holley on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Delighted to have you for a neighbor and I regret our disturbed politics are so divisive and troublesome. Millions of US are working towards making America fact based again. Perhaps you could send an intrepid group of volunteers to help us create a better narrative, eh , if you can make it across the border.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:40 am

Thanks for contributing ZERO to the discussion of the ethics of a therapist denying treatment based on personal beliefs.
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby pueppi on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Yeah, I am really surprised at all the wild hatred. I have a colleague who owns a Pilates studio and was stating she did not want to allow her clients who preferred Trump, to come in and take private lessons. In the end, near the election, she was getting full-blown angry most every day - and being very hateful to her clients. I am aware that she actually told multiple people that they were not allowed to speak his name and that he was to remain the one that was "nameless" in her studio. It was very strange. After the election she came into my office and wanted to cry. She's still doing protest marches as of last week.

I don't get the whole refusing to provide service based on how someone wants to vote. I also don't get how people can get so emotionally wrapped up in all of this. What will happen, is what will happen. We really don't have near as much of a say in politics as people want to think.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Kerfuffel

Postby holley on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:53 am

While i think the term "wild hatred" is inflammatory, there is no doubt a kerfuffle occurring. Why do you think that is ?
holley
Registered Member

Re: Kerfuffel

Postby pueppi on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:41 am

holley wrote:While i think the term "wild hatred" is inflammatory, there is no doubt a kerfuffle occurring. Why do you think that is ?

I don't see the term as inflammatory when I have more than a handful of clients going to lengths to specifically state they "hate" Trump, and then continue stating it in as many ways as they can think of during initial conversation. In my office, the liberal clients are much more hateful than the conservative ones, when it comes to enunciating thier displeasure of someone from the opposite party getting into public office. They are also fairly agressive about it. Maybe it's because they assume I am liberal? I can only say that the conservative ones are not near as agressive when their man or woman doesn't get elected for an official position.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Re: Kerfuffel

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am

holley wrote:While i think the term "wild hatred" is inflammatory, there is no doubt a kerfuffle occurring. Why do you think that is ?

I think Wild hatred is putting it mildly

Disagreement results in being called racist, sexist, homophoboic, islamophobic, fill in the blank...aand this whole protest culture is beyond the pale. A Christian baker / photographer can't express their view point by refusing to serve a Gay Wedding, but no such insults or lawsuits are aimed at a liberal clothing designer, pilates studio owner or bodyworker who is faced with a customer whose values they disagree with.

I did not see the streets fill up with violent mobs after the 9th circuit issued their ruling. Some people have learned how to deal with disappointment and understand that life is not all sunshine, lollipops and trophies for showing up.

I was quite happy to take the $$ of folks attending the DNC and staying in our partner hotels, and we did very well on both of Obama's inaugurals.
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

well

Postby holley on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:12 pm

I saw no "violent mobs". I saw 3 million march without an arrest.
I have heard belittling and denigrating remarks about the President. Sad. So sad.
Yet considering his birther-conspiracy fiction and his denigration of opponents has he not brought it on himself ?
Last edited by holley on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
holley
Registered Member

Re: well

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:50 am

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby holley on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 am

Watched your posted videos and seems your "violent mobs" are very small number of anarchists who damage property. They are not part of the the peaceful protests and their actions are repudiated by the demonstrators. More demonstrations are coming and I am proud so many are standing up and speaking out. What a land !
holley
Registered Member

Return to Business/Practice Ethics, Conduct Issues & Questionable Dilemmas