Time Off

Help each other prosper! Share ideas, concerns and frustrations of developing your business. Share those creative marketing ideas that work! (SOAP charting, rate increases, outcalls, taxes, etc.)

Moderators: Talenyn, JLWmassage

Time Off

Postby Julierae on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:11 am

Hi - our commission-based massage therapists have set schedules (ranging from 15-35 hours/week). The therapists currently manage their own schedules (e.g. blocking for personal appointments, vacations, etc.) - which can sometimes leave massage rooms under-utilized.

I am wondering how other facilities handle massage therapist time off/vacations? Does anyone limit the number of hours/days a therapist can take off? What about offering paid vacation time? Thanks for your feedback!
Julierae
Fresh Hands

Re: Time Off

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am

All depends...are they contractors or employees?
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby Julierae on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 am

Sorry, I should have clarified. They are commission-based employees.
Julierae
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:41 am

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are letting the inmates run the asylum

Being an employee means giving up certain freedoms -- like what you do with your time -- in favor of certain securities/protections (minimum wage, employer contribution to payroll taxes, workers comp insurance, having equipment and supplies provided, not having to market, etc)

You are giving them the best of both worlds and it is costing you dearly. They have the freedom to decide when they leave you in the lurch to take a private client and the room and equipment you provide sit idle when they could be put to use.

#1 - Employees don't set their schedules, vacations/time off. Employers do. Time off policies are written and distributed to all employees upon hire and are in the employee manual / binder and posted in the break room.
#2 - Any deviations from established schedules must be approved by management and are SUBJECT to approval. Asking does not mean they will be granted
#3 - Time off requests are made in writing at least 2 weeks in advance. No plans are to be made/tickets to be bought until time off is approved
#4 - Our employees earn paid time off at the rate of 1 hour at minimum wage/guarantee rate for every 40 hours on the clock / property. Accrual begins after 90 days, max earned is 40 hours per year, max to be accrued at any time is 40 hours. Vacation is lost of not used by termination (this varies by state) and any paid vacation claimed within 30 days of termination of employment is "clawed back"
#5 - Any unpaid time off (in excess of accrued paid time off or before it is accrued) MUST be covered by another employee. It is the requesting employees responsibility to find coverage for ALL hours/shifts requested off. BOTH parties must confirm via email the dates and times to be covered.
#6 Any Paid time off, coverage if found by management

Also, if it is the job description, employees -- regardless of how they are paid -- may be required to perform non-massage duties when on the premises during their shifts. Legally, so long as an employee earns at least minimum wage x hours on premises you control how they spend their time -- massaging, calling clients for follow ups, folding towels. Not being paid an hourly rate does not prohibit employees from doing other tasks, but many spas like paying hourly + commission vs. straight commission -- to avoid hard feelings (which are just feelings, because a properly configured comp system yields pretty much the same result regardless of the scheme)

You'll have a harder time getting employees to do non-massage work if they were not advised of this in the job description/interview process in the employment agreement.

For instance, at our non-hotel spa, employees receive and sort laundry, do small batches of laundry, wipe down work areas, take turns working the reception desk/answering the phone, helping gather information for promotions. etc. They earn $8 and hour + 10-20% commission (depending on goal achievement) and 10% on retail sales, plus tips. in a metro area of less than 60K people within 25 miles, our lead esthetician earns $50K+

Before the economy tanked, we had a lead for the back of the house, a lead for retail and a spa attendant. Now the technician staff handles those roles, otherwise we would have closed our doors in 2010
Smithers: "Sir, I'm afraid we have a bad image, people see you as a bit of an ogre." Mr.Burns: "I ought to club them and eat their bones!"
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Postby Julierae on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 am

RelaxandRejuvenate -

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Your feedback is extremely valuable and will help us to shape our policies going forward.
Julierae
Fresh Hands

Postby RelaxandRejuvenate on Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:34 am

How did the changes work out?
RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Return to Business Issues & Marketing Discussion