What did you do before massage?

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

Vivian
Registered Member

What did you do before massage?

Post by Vivian » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 pm

So what was your profession before massage?

I'll start.
I did mostly bookkeeping before becoming a MT. I never really choose bookkeeping as a career, it just kind of fell in my lap and grew from there. After several years and a growing business, I decided I should go back to school and get a proper education in it. The first quarter went OK, it was really interesting at first. Then the second quarter started and I literally felt hatred for my teacher, this really surprised me. At first i was stunned that I felt such a strong emotion towards this complete stranger, then i realized it wasn't the teacher i hated, it was the bookkeeping. I was never aware until then how wrong that career was for me, somehow I kept that well stuffed down and kept doing what I thought I "should" be doing, getting a better education in the field I was in.
This event kind of woke me up into taking charge of my life, instead of just going with the flow. I had been a very passive person up until then. In my passiveness and willingness to please others, I was pretty clueless about what I myself wanted and what made me happy. It took me a few months of research to discover I wanted to be an MT.

How about you?
Vivian
Eco friendly Hemp Microwave Heating Pad for moist heat therapy.

tranquilspirit2006
Registered Member

Re: What did you do before massage?

Post by tranquilspirit2006 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:13 am

I was a switchboard operator, started out at a local department store right out of high school, worked there for a couple of years and then got a job on the local hospital switchboard as a relief operator. Did that for a few years, then became PT which worked great when my kids were little. With a reshuffling of management, we ended up needing a lead operator and I put in for it and got it. Did that a few years, then we merged with another small hospital and I became Telcom Supervisor for both Telcom departments at both hospitals. I loved it. Would have stayed there and become one of the veryvery few that ended up being there for 50 years (started when I was 19). Then there was a huge issue and I resigned. I wasn't really offered a choice. Here I was, 36 and I'd worked at the same place for 17 years. I hadn't been on an interview or done a resume or anything in all those years. I was, to put it mildly, devastated.

I worked at a 55+ community for almost a year as an admin assistant and hated it. I had a passive-aggressive control freak for a boss and the two salesmen. I had gone from two departments of close, friendly women to having no one that I could relate to at work. They had a big changeover of management in the regional office and needed someone in my position who had real estate experience so I was let go. At least I was able to get unemployment! Then I went to a doctor's office, someone I had known from the hospital. The two doctors I worked for were the best ever. I loved them, they were wonderful men to work for, I adored the patients and I really liked the office staff with the exception of the office manager. She was the reason they had such a high turnover of staff, constantly. I was miserable and cried most nights on my way home but I couldn't afford to quit. I dreaded going to work so much every morning.

I lost my dad and was settling his estate, which was complicated very much by his sister. There were a lot of issues going on in my life, marital, family. I saw an ad in the paper one day that said a local school was starting a massage therapy program. In spite of a lot of resistance from my husband (who, in all fairness has become my biggest cheerleader), I applied and took out student loans, gave my notice at the docs and went to school. Best. Decision. Ever.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know."

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I was (and still am) a Mom. I'm just less "full-time" of a Mom than I used to be (now having to split my time between the family/home and the business). I venture to say that my first career will outlast my second, no matter how long I keep massaging, LOL!
~Renee

handsofeye
Fresh Hands

Post by handsofeye » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:50 pm

I traveled the world doing odd jobs teaching english working in the vineyards and did allot of surfing and sleeping on beaches

then decided it would be better to get paid more per hour and work less

naturalhealing
Registered Member

Post by naturalhealing » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:34 am

I did house cleaning, worked at a B&B where I learned how to cook, cooked in several restaurants, waited tables, picked lettuce, and worked as a gardeners helper.

[email protected]
Registered Member

Post by [email protected] » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 am

Before happily finding massage I worked as a medical laboratory technician as an active duty US Army soldier. Having a medical background made learning massage and AP so much more interesting and dynamic because I found the correlations between lab work and results, and bodywork and results! =)
"The best pioneers are the ones actually out the doing massage. They get devotees just from having put their hands on them. That's what keeps the field alive and moving."
~Tiffany Fields

eyesofblue
Registered Member

Post by eyesofblue » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:55 am

from college (biology degree) worked in interior landscaping/plant care, then I became a carefree bicycle courier and worked at a hardware store. Then I worked at a headstart and loved teaching preschool, so I became a preschool teacher certified in Montessori. My longest job before kids was supervising education programs at the Aquarium. then parenting. Once my youngest went to K, I too went to school for massage - and now I do believe I am finally settled! It fits me that there is so much to learn and different paths to take within the massage profession.

Jim Grunt
Fresh Hands

Post by Jim Grunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:25 am

I am currently a student with five weeks to go in school and I was browsing this forum looking for tips on how to keep sheet stain free and I found this. I was a commercial roofer for 28 years. After a foot problem ( plantar fasciitis, heel spurs) I had to take some time off of work. It was my wife's idea for me to go to massage school. It didn't take me long to realize this is what I'm meant to be doing with my life.

JLWmassage

Post by JLWmassage » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 am

I was a college student with a major in American Sign Language. I quit college after 1 year to go to massage school. And the rest is history

riversinger

Post by riversinger » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

I've got a degree in Interior Design, which I did for a few years and have also done retail sales & management

At one point "between" jobs I actually worked at a Christmas Tree Farm making grave blankets with pine boughs, pine cones & ribbon. They even asked me to stay on after the season was over but the work nearly killed my hands from working in a cold barn all day. Needless to say I didn't stay. I even worked in at a factory job doing assembly work at one point.

Aside from the above since becoming an MT, I also got married & became a mother (which is both the best & hardest job I've ever done!)

And Tranquil - I started out as a volunteer at our local hospital at age 14 or 15, then became a receptionist & switchboard operator from age 16 through 18 there, until I left for college. I even handled ambulance calls - taking down the emergency info and dispatching the crews to the accident sites, etc. Talk about having a lot of responsibility at a young age! My first job after college was doing secretarial work for a couple of years, before I went into the Interior Design field I'd trained for.
Last edited by riversinger on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
The song of the spirit is as the song
of the river, on a journey back to source.

katamay
Registered Member

Post by katamay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:09 pm

I was an Early Childhood teacher, mostly. I also had a few odd jobs writing, researching, tutoring, and storytelling.

Yeah, I got paid $7 an hour to tell stories. It was only a couple of hours a week, but it was a pretty great gig!

Kat
On my way ... LMT or Bust! http://lmtorbust.com

cabwy
Registered Member

Post by cabwy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

I like this thread!! I worked in dental offices as a dental assistant and then as an office manager. Both positions taught me a lot about the business of keeping clients happy.
Interesting note- people think that giving massage is hard, but gosh, lots of professions are hard on their bodies. Hygienists suffer from repetitive stress syndrome, especially in their hands, wrists and neck.. and I remember times where I was almost standing on my head alongside of the dentist trying to gain access to a tooth on a patient who had to sit straight up in the dental chair to avoid flaring up her vertigo.. lol
Carol

Rozax
Registered Member

Post by Rozax » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 am

My story's simple: I've only been a student my whole life. I got my BA before realizing that I wanted to do massage.
This user doesn't visit here, anymore. Move along.
poem-massage.org

akashafive
Registered Member

Post by akashafive » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 am

I always loved working with my hands or doing mentally stimulating jobs:

During my high school years I was a "Volunteer for Science" at the US Geological Survey lab where I separated and counted insect larvae from stream samples during the summers.

During my last years of high school and first of college I was a dishwasher (and so much more!) at a local mountain/ski resort.

Had a summer internship with a state (dept. of edu) fish lab and spent most of it hauling nets and tagging fish on the Hudson river and Adirondack lakes (best job [and tan!] I've ever had). 8)

Did a seasonal position as a bookseller at a major bookstore for a couple of months (and was in heaven once again).

After college I ended up an operations supervisor for an office supply store for three and a half years, but having to deal with downright mean customers (and one egotistical assistant manager) led to three too many nervous breakdowns. :smt009

I had an epiphany! I needed a job where I could directly make people feel good and some how I decided to find out what was involved with being a massage therapist.

I've had to go back to retail once since becoming licensed after we moved, but that 1.5 years has messed up my feet to the point that I will never again be able to stay on them for the 8+ hours retail requires. Now it's massage all the way and I couldn't be happier about it! :grin:

The next position I hope to apply for will be "Mom". ;)
-Akasha
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Nancy Giles

alleycat_lady
Fresh Hands

Post by alleycat_lady » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 am

cabwy wrote:I like this thread!! I worked in dental offices as a dental assistant and then as an office manager. Both positions taught me a lot about the business of keeping clients happy.
Interesting note- people think that giving massage is hard, but gosh, lots of professions are hard on their bodies. Hygienists suffer from repetitive stress syndrome, especially in their hands, wrists and neck.. and I remember times where I was almost standing on my head alongside of the dentist trying to gain access to a tooth on a patient who had to sit straight up in the dental chair to avoid flaring up her vertigo.. lol
Its funny how many people I've met who have started in the dental field. I am a massage student now currently working as a receptionist in a dentist office. Another classmate of mine is a dental assistant.

And, yeah, they have it hard hunched over all day. All of the hygienists here have pretty bad low back and neck pain. The one dentist who's been practicing for like 40 years has pretty bad kyphosis.

Return to “Off the Table Topics”