Plans for new space

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

nybor7
Registered Member

Plans for new space

Post by nybor7 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:22 pm

Tried to post in the BWO space thread but was locked out.
Here are the proposed plans for my new space. What do you all think? It has gone through several incarnations.
The rooms thusfar will be six in total 11'6" x 8, and 11'6" x 8' 6".
There is an open area in the front approx 25 ft for chair massage.
Please let me know what your thoughts are.
Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina

akb
Registered Member

Post by akb » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:15 pm

The picture is pretty small to see anything clearly, but I can tell there are rooms on either side of a hallway.

8' seems cramped to me.

Sounds like an exciting process!!

terab
Registered Member

Post by terab » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:09 pm

hard to tell if there are 1 or 2 bathrooms. hopefully there are 2. that will help a lot.

also, 8' wide is kinda cramped but you can do it if you set it up correctly. my treatment room right now is 12 x 9 and i've always said i couldn't work in there if it were any smaller. BUT, i've got a console table that sits against the wall so that takes up a good amount of the space. if you didn't have much else in the room, you may be able to pull it off.

make sure you don't croud up those small rooms with stuff. keep things at a minimum. in fact, you could go on an ikea website or something like it to find a way to utilize your space to make it work. (btw, i think my 9 x 12 sized treatment room is perfect. it feels very comfortable. i've been in rooms that are much larger and they don't feel as comfortable as mine. so you really aren't far off from that size.)

good luck!

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:21 pm

I thought the jpeg would be clickable...or show up a bit bigger sorry.
I originally had four rooms only along one side of the space. They were 10 x 12. With revamping we were able to add two more rooms. and have a larger open area in the front for chair massage.
Code for the center hallway is 36" so I am thinking the biggest I can go is 8'2". With the table widths being 33 inches there will be 2 1/2 feet clearance around the table.
There is a lot of space for cabinetry in the back(after the bathrooms. There will obly be a need for a sofa table type something at the longer end of the rooms to hold supplies for the session....maybe a corner unit.
I have seen many many small rooms and I didn't really want to go that small......I do want to optimize the space though.
There are two bathrooms...one mens, one womens. Good and bad....the bad is they are there already...smack dab in the way.
If they werent there I would have built them in the back corner.
I am spoiled up here our room is 16x16(I think). My co-leasee there has enough room for a small yoga class.
The back space will house a double sink...up and down cabinets, fridge and maybe a washer/dryer. Opposite the "kitchen" area is a small office.
Thanks for all the comments..please keep them coming.
I want this to be a place/space that therapists will love to come into...and work.

It's all so exciting...nervewracking...scary at once....

B I G G R I N
:o)

Robyn

berkana
Registered Member

Post by berkana » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:04 am

How much chair massage - in office - do you do?
~heather

The truth will indeed set you free, but only if you recognize that there are many kinds of truth...

www.berkanamassage.com

mush
Registered Member

Post by mush » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:55 am

i think you have a great plan. how exciting!

depending on the type of work you do, you could go with a 31" width table and gain slightly more room and still have a nice comfortable table for larger size clients.
and you could be the sunshine falling over the mountains.. john butler
red rocks 9/2005

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:08 pm

berkana wrote:How much chair massage - in office - do you do?
Me, presently, Z I L C H.
Lots of foot traffic at new space and the openess of the front area will be very inviting for chair massage.
Semi tourist area....with this space being right on the "drag".
I think that offering chair is an easier way to handle the "walk in" dilemna.

robyn

berkana
Registered Member

Post by berkana » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:44 am

Something to think about - is the $$ generated by the open space you have set up greater than using the square footage for larger therapy rooms? I too think that 8.6x11.6 seems small... (I worked in an 8.6x10.6 room for two years & now have a 11x14 & would not go any smaller)

What do you mean by walk in dilemma? - accomodating last minute apts? Will these people be looking for a quick chair massage, or table massage? Are they going to feel like they are on display while they recieve chair massage? Would the therapist doing the chair massage have a therapy room available anyway?

I can see the allure in having the visual available for people walking by.

BTW I feel you pain - space layouts are tough. Once you're committed, it's expensive to change your mind!
~heather

The truth will indeed set you free, but only if you recognize that there are many kinds of truth...

www.berkanamassage.com

sagetherapist
Registered Member

Post by sagetherapist » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:54 am

Hi Robyn,
Congrats & good luck on your new adventure!
I have a thought to throw in about using fewer rooms and larger spaces.
If you are able to go with four rooms that are larger, you can still generate plenty of bsuiness flow. I have only 3 rooms at Gilbert Bodyworks. At first it was just me, our esthetician and one part time receptionist. I had a huge reception area & an extra (and very large! 12 X 15) room that were not used for appointments. I decorated them for comfort & ambiance, etc. Very, very shortly into that first year I had two more practitioners join us. Then two more. My point is, I was seeing "X number of rooms", not the fact that there's 7 days in a week and about 12 reasonable hours (only about 16 legal hours in our State) to do business in each room. We now have all rooms clipping along, 7 days a week. The schedules/shares were very easy to work out. We all know that MTs can only do so much before they burn out, so I tried to get very simple & work it out in twos (two per room), suiting people up appropriately for their work hours *and* personalities. Its great to be able to offer massages at the same time for best friends/hubbies & wives, etc. AND your business can be booming 7 days a week.

Are you planning to rent each space or do a split or have employees? Even rents can be shared & planned out on a partime basis. (like salons do for a chair).

Let us know what you (and how you do!) as you move through the process. Its fun to live vicariously through someone's project, and would be a great thing for newbies and oldies alike to see what goes into the process. I think I tried to start a thread *ages* ago about all that goes into it, but it just fizzled.

Best, best, best of luck!!! (It is sooo wonderful to build your dream!)
jill/sagetherapist

RelaxandRejuvenate
Registered Member

Post by RelaxandRejuvenate » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:02 am

I can't really tell too much from the drawing, wish it were more readable.

What are you trying to be? Massage center, day spa ?

6 treatment rooms seems like an awful lot. Unless you think there is demand to keep all of them at 50% + utilization, you are going to be much better off wtih 4 larger rooms. Less staff to manage, get more out of your fixed costs and lower buildout costs.

I don't really see a changing area or relaxation area. Are clients expected to change in the treatment rooms?

Will you sell any products? Retail margins are great.

is there an employee break room? with 6 therapists and a receptionist, you have to have one. What about lockers for therapists? Coats, bags and other personal items will just junk up the smaller rooms.

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:52 pm

berkana wrote:Something to think about - is the $$ generated by the open space you have set up greater than using the square footage for larger therapy rooms? I too think that 8.6x11.6 seems small
The open space would allow an extra room or longer but still as narrow rooms. The 8'6" is the widest.
I WOULD forego one room and go with 5 but they would all be a little longer...but still just as narrow.
The min req for the hallway is 36"..with the framing and walls....there's no way to have wider(the smaller measurement) rooms.
I will ask if the framing and wall thickeness has some silly code attched to it.
berkana wrote:What do you mean by walk in dilemma? -
I, IMHO, have had the dilemna of "do you accept walk ins"...well, I dont, I am alone in my room and also share the space with someone...so wouldne be able to advertise walk ins. I have also witnessed the not so open(truthfull) mini quickie intake on a new walk in client.
I do prefer to have an adequate intake form and interview with a client which I would not have with a walk in.
berkana wrote:accomodating last minute apts?
Last minutes with an available room with an established client....not a problem for me.
berkana wrote: Will these people be looking for a quick chair massage, or table massage? Are they going to feel like they are on display while they recieve chair massage?
Not anymore so than people at the airport, Wholefoods, any outside event, workplace or offsite massage. There is some comfort for the massage- shy out there seeing people in chairs...and clothed etc. If we're not booked, a chair can easily be moved into a room.
berkana wrote: Would the therapist doing the chair massage have a therapy room available anyway?
I cannot honestly answer this until the time comes....and see how fully we are booked. Ideally, I stagger massages to start 1/2 hour after the last. If there is no booking, a no show, an hour to kill...or a scheduled MT for chair there...we will have to see.
berkana wrote: I can see the allure in having the visual available for people walking by.
Now thats what I am talking about!
:)

Robyn

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:02 pm

RelaxandRejuvenate wrote:I can't really tell too much from the drawing, wish it were more readable.
What are you trying to be? Massage center, day spa ?
6 treatment rooms seems like an awful lot. Unless you think there is demand to keep all of them at 50% + utilization, you are going to be much better off wtih 4 larger rooms. Less staff to manage, get more out of your fixed costs and lower buildout costs.
I don't really see a changing area or relaxation area. Are clients expected to change in the treatment rooms?
Will you sell any products? Retail margins are great.
is there an employee break room? with 6 therapists and a receptionist, you have to have one. What about lockers for therapists? Coats, bags and other personal items will just junk up the smaller rooms.
I can email it to you. I only can use the program for another two weeks. I have the drawings saved as jpegs and bmps. Trying to be?....bigger than I am is the answer. I love my place now, just wish I could xerox myself and have more rooms....poof.
No spa, have no interst in it.
My clients change in my room now.
Any of the rooms can be/may be converted to any of the uses you have mentioned above.
There is a "kitchen" area with double sink,,,fridge, cabinetry, and small break table. Lockers can easily be put in the pseudo office area.
Who knows, the back/last room can also be non doored..archway and made to a "sit and have tea" area for pre/post massage.
The ideas and possibilities are endless.
I also will be expanding to several more sites so it can only get better.
Thnk BIG, and plan for growth I always was taught.
Thanks again, all who have added their ideas/comments..thats why I love this board!
Please keep them coming.

Robyn

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:09 pm

sagetherapist wrote:Hi Robyn,
Congrats & good luck on your new adventure!
I have a thought to throw in about using fewer
Thank you so much!
sagetherapist wrote:If you are able to go with four rooms that are larger, you can still generate plenty of bsuiness flow.
My first plan was for four rooms and the large hallway for some massage chair "stations.
It seemed to be awkward for MT clients walking passed the chair clients to get to their rooms.
Nothing is written in stone yet. My one contractor bidding is sure sick of me revamping the ideas.....It is fun though.
sagetherapist wrote: Are you planning to rent each space or do a split or have employees?
Employees.
I require too much to have IC's(uniform , certain criteria, schedules etc)
sagetherapist wrote:Let us know what you (and how you do!) as you move through the process. Best, best, best of luck!!! (It is sooo wonderful to build your dream!)
jill/sagetherapist
I sure will....you guys will have an impact I am sure!

reneelmt
Fresh Hands

Post by reneelmt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi Robyn, Let me add my congratulations and two cents. :) Have you tried putting all the treatment rooms on one side, enlarging them and moving the hall over, creating smaller rooms for storage, breaks, laundry, whatever down the other wall? Would also make for better feng shui by keeping the energy from coming in the front door and rushing out the back. Just my thoughts. Good luck and keep us up-to-date as your plans progress.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:39 pm

:)

Still revamping. Like the idea of a quiet sitting area....although that would have to be very narrow, but not enlosed on 4 sides. It would have three walls and an archway entrance.....(hows that sound?)
I just redrew with 4 rooms, 12x10 and the aforementioned sitting area.
Still room for chair "stations".

Robyn

I THINK the sketches can be viewed here. They are Yahoo small but when you click slideshow they show up nicely. My brain is spinning.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/njmassage ... FB.A3UsQe5

akb
Registered Member

Post by akb » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Robyn, I was able to see them through the link provided here. Thanks for sharing them with us! I really like the look and feel of the Plan w/ Sitting Area B which is number 4 of 6.

I like that the "waiting area" is separate from the chair massage area, that the massage rooms are more spacious, and that there is not just one long hallway. If you find down the line that you don't need so much space for chair work or you find that clients don't sit in the quiet tea room, you could always make a smaller space for more stationary bodywork like craniosacral, reflexology, energywork, floor type bodywork, etc.

pueppi
Registered Member

Post by pueppi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:02 am

I looked at your plans 1-6 on the yahoo page. In looking at page 4/6, there are a few things that may be options.

You could move one of the chair massage areas up to where the reception booth is in the lower left hand corner (so people can see from outside as they walk by) and push the reception booth back into chair massage area 1 (lower left - just behind current reception booth). I am not sure where your bathroom facilities are, but in order to keep a little more quiet for the first room, you could install the bathroom facilities in that area behind the client waiting region (massage room 1 - top left - first room), and then move that room (massage 1) somewhere further down in the suite.

I'd probably consider a maximum of 2 chair massage areas and lean more toward one. You can make more of your space, by possibly adding product zones on one wall wall of the chair massage area. If you only have 2 chair massage, then this gives you some more storage or something else you may need for the place. Also, if you need multiple chair massage regions, you may want to consider walling one of them off, for a little more privacy. It could be a wall that does not go all the way to the ceiling (and you could have plants on the top of that wall), and it could have a cased opening for the door, so you don't have to worry about an actual open/close type door (or possibly a pocket door).

It looks nice.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells...
Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:19 am

nybor7, what did you ever end up doing? Do you have a pic of the final version? I'd love to know!
~Renee

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey there.
Haven't been here in a while.
The storefront never came to be.
Had two sites, deposits in one.
There were contractor woes. Same job several bids ranging from $6500 to $41,000. YES that much of a difference.
HAd to pull out of the space I wanted and it ended up working out.
I had three minor surgeries and then a hysterectomy.
I do strictly outcalls.
I am both in NJ and SC still.
3-4 weeks at a atime in each location.
I still work in the OR in NY(can't beat the money and benefits)
I have revisited the new storefront idea.
There are real estate deals to be made and my little town has exploded in population.
There's something brewing but I do not want to get ahead of myself.
Thanks for asking.

Timedess
Registered Member

Post by Timedess » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:15 am

I see. Sorry about the hangups! We will be able to do most of the work ourselves to build out- will have to hire contractors for plumbing and electrical, per city codes, but we can do everything else, so that'll save a lot there.

Thanks for the update, nybor7!
~Renee

Return to “Off the Table Topics”