"The Secret"

Meet and greet, discuss non-bodywork topics, and make new friends in the world of bodywork. A place to "let your hair down"!

Moderator: maestra

healer611
Registered Member

"The Secret"

Post by healer611 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Has anyone heard of this book? It's amazing!

Oprah featured the book on her show about a month back and then did a follow-up two weeks ago because of all the feedback she was getting.

Any experiences to share?
"Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch

Shannon
Registered Member

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:26 pm

Never heard of it but the book freak I am I will be purchasing it really soon.

jillith
Registered Member

Post by jillith » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:10 pm

i have the dvd and love it. :D it's something we've been practicing before we ever heard about it. basically it's about the law of attraction. write down your dreams and goals (in the present tense) and watch them come to life.

healer611
Registered Member

Post by healer611 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:35 am

I also practiced this way of thinking (for the most part), and now I understand the importance of maintaining a positive mind set all the time and to trust the universe.

I had a huge experience just before Christmas that confirmed everything! It brought goose bumps to my skin. Now I experience things on a daily basis because I am aware - how cool is that?! ;)
"Brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop people who don't want it badly enough." - Randy Pausch

StressSolutions

Post by StressSolutions » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:12 am

It was certainly raved about on the MFR email chat.

stonegirl

Post by stonegirl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:28 am

I've heard of this but haven't read it yet - I just thought it was funny because within 1 week I had about 5 people tell me about it. if that isn't a sign I don't know what is!
I've been implementing the concept sporadically for years but I am now thinking along these lines everyday.
will definately be picking up the book soon!

razor
Registered Member

Post by razor » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 am

The Secret is good and I'm really trying to live my life in a more positive way and yes, I'm getting results. I think it's even better if you watch What the Bleep do We Know first and then follow up the movie with The Secret. If I hadn't bought into the quantum mechanics first, I wouldn't have accepted The Secret. But that's just me. Tight sphinctered.

The thing about changing my attitude about things is, even if it's wrong it's right. And even if it's wrong, I don't want to be right.

MRSkitten
Registered Member

Post by MRSkitten » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:30 am

Everything I hear about "The Secret" sounds suspiciously like a rehash of the Law of Attraction theory that's been around for ages and ages. :roll: Oprah jumps on the bandwagon and suddenly it's this exciting new discovery! Anybody recall the film "What the Bleep Do We Know?" Same thing.

But, if this interests you (and it should):

My all-time favorite book on this topic is "Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn--and even this book dates back to 2000 and covers no new ground. What makes it better than all others before it is that the author successfully presents the material in a manner that is both easy to grasp AND APPLY to your own life. Being able to apply the Law correctly in your everyday life is the key to receiving what you want rather than more of what you do NOT want (but are subconsciously asking for!) It costs $17 but is truly priceless. I know so many people who have dramatically changed their lives after reading and using the knowledge from this book, including myself.
"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." ~Henry James

MRSkitten
Registered Member

Post by MRSkitten » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:32 am

sorry to repeat you, Razor. I was writing while you were posting!
"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." ~Henry James

EgoMagickian
Tech Admin

Post by EgoMagickian » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:18 am

Count my vote for watching What the Bleep before The Secret.

I've been reading the Esther & Jerry Hicks books, The Law of Attraction, Ask and It Is Given, etc. and enjoy them.

The Secret is rather bombastic about the fact that it's presenting nothing new... it makes it sound like some grand holy grail :-)

stonegirl

Post by stonegirl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:51 am

actually I think one of the first books on the subject dates back to 1910 called "the science of getting rich". I've been reading this for a few months before I heard of the secret.
I also had watched "what the bleep...." about 2 1/1 yrs ago. For whatever reason, the secret is getting more attention than these and other books/movies that basically say the same thing.

healer611
Registered Member

Post by healer611 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:47 am

Mrs.Kitten -

I'd be interested in your opinion AFTER you read "The Secret" to see if it's a rehash. The information in the book is not new - and that's part of the lesson, but may be presented in a new way from the various other books you have read.

Since I haven't heard of the other books mentioned, other than "The Science of Getting Rich", having seen the follow-up on Oprah (a wonderful woman, in my opinion), was an opportunity for me to explore a topic that interested me, and I am sure many others - hence the follow-up just two weeks later. So all of us who watched her show and "got it" are now on a new, exciting path ... thanks to her. (I really don't think Oprah is the type to jump on bandwagons, IMHO.)

AnastasiaB
Registered Member

Post by AnastasiaB » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:42 pm

"The Secret", in some ways, is a rehash of the Laws of Attraction theories that have been around for ages, quite literally. The dvd puts visuals to the words and helps those of us who need audiovisual as well as visual-kinesthethic input to get the message delivered to our brains in a way that we actually "get" the concepts and ideas more clearly than just reading can do.

I own both the dvd [which is a remake of the original tv broadcast] and the book. The book contains the text of the dvd. Both are lovely and well-done.

Other authors have been writing about the laws of attraction for years and years. For me, "The Secret" has done the best job to date of getting my attention and making "the laws" more clearly understandable and achievable by "mere mortals."
Anastasia B

Be who you are and say what you feel, because people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind. - Theodore S. Geisel - [Dr. Seuss][

www.mymassageworks.embarqspace.com

MRSkitten
Registered Member

Post by MRSkitten » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Oprah IS the bandwagon, and her massive publicity of "The Secret" is responsible for both the inflated sales and swell of public thinking this is something entirely new and profound. I am surprised that, after the Frey fiasco, she is again promoting a book in this manner and at her choice of this book especially.

A quick scan earlier indicated at least five authors whose LOA books I'm familiar with cited as sources for "The Secret", so I felt safe assuming I don't need to buy again what is already on my shelf. I admit I had to stop before noticing if Edgar Cayce, Vincent Peale, Willliam James, Wyane Dyer, Napoleon Hill, or the original guide for positive thinking, the Bible, were also used as sources, so there just might be more. Sure, this book might be a nice read for others and positive-thinking principils of LOA are always a great concept to share (when presented responsibly as part of focus and action) but my point is that this information most emphatically is NOT new and it is NOT a secret.

After further consideration it seemed to be the combination of pseudo-DaVinci Code packaging, the purposefully-misleading title and inflated hype that made this book smell a bit 'off' to me. So, in an effort to be fair and inform myself more fully (since I have no intention of purchasing a copy, thanks) I Googled the author--excuse me, "editor", so it really is a compilation of other works--and this is what I found.

First, sigh, she's got a very slick website that seems to have no other purpose than to merchandise The Secret. From it I did learn that she "discovered" The Secret in 2004. From the You Tube sites I learn The Secret can bring me the abundant wealth and happiness I deserve! Let's try again...lots of sites concerning buying The Secret in it's apparently infinite multimedia variations. Ah, newspaper interviews. From these I learn Ms. Byrn's secret to being thin ("avoid the sight of fat people" :!: but wait, wasn't she was on Oprah?), that she "wants to share the secret with everyone" (for $23.99 per book/$29.95 per DVD), and oh dear, many unflattering reviews suggesting this book is merely a grammatically-challenged, poorly-presented "repackaging" and oversimplification of the ideas of others. And that historians are cranky the "ancient texts" she refers to as the source of The Secret are never actually cited...but I did find she credits "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattlesand as her original source (you GO, Stonegirl!), though something written 97 years isn't exactly "ancient". Then this: "SADLY the most important "secret" that Rhonda Byrne seems to have discovered is the mother lode of gullibility that runs through society" , repeated with slight variation on the theme by different reviewers, and then Newsweek senior editor Jerry Adler: "...on an ethical level, "The Secret" appears deplorable. It concerns itself almost entirely with a narrow range of middle-class concerns - houses, cars and vacations, followed by health and relationships, with the rest of humanity a very distant sixth." Still not finding a single positive reference not directly linked to putting money in Ms. Byrne's pocket...
:throwpc:

Okay, that's enough. I feel pretty comfortable standing by my "if it walks like a duck..." (it might be rehashed pate) gut feeling.

Oprah is one smart lady who really needs to can whoever is picking the books for her to push. She could loose all credibility on this one.

Bodywork_Guy
Registered Member

Post by Bodywork_Guy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Ditto, Kitten.

The power of positive thinking. Believe and receive. Name it and claim it. Ultimately, it's all greed.

I, for one, would like to see more people focused on what they can do for others than what they can get for themselves. One of the biggest problems with Americans is their self-centeredness. I'm guilty enough of these things without reading more books to reinforce it.

The true secret to happiness is giving things away - time, money, possessions, love. Living a minimalist lifestyle has brought me so much more freedom and joy. While aquaintances are running around changing cell phones like underwear and automobiles like seasonal clothing I'm enjoying my life - each precious moment of it.

Ultimately, there are no SECRETS. There are many things unknown but that doesn't make them secrets. And, certainly, the power of thinking positively is nothing new, no matter how glossy and slick one tries to make it with ever more time consuming formats.
James Baugh, LMT

joplus
Fresh Hands

Post by joplus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

Double-ditto, to Kitten and Bodywork_Guy. I'm a student, and I have to admit that we were made to watch The Secret in class, since it's my instructor's favorite video. I was put off by the production values and the emphasis on acquisition of things (money, mansions, vacations, etc). I would rather have spent the class time learning something else. Anything else.

healer611
Registered Member

Post by healer611 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:53 pm

The premise of The Secret is to teach us to attract what we want - whatever that may be, and to stop doing things to prevent this from happening. We have different needs and desires, and the book illustrates a few examples to make a point.

If you want security, love, a parking space, a partner, happiness, means to fulfill someone else's dream, contentment, setting up a trust fund for a friend's family who has lost everything in a fire, a vacation, a new car, helping Katrina victims ... well, it really doesn't matter. The message is to trust that it will happen. If you ask, then believe, it will happen.

I can't tell you how many people I know who are "stuck" in a rut in their lives and have nothing but negative things to say about everything. If reading this book helps them turn a corner, how great is that?!

I have to believe that if we take care of ourselves first, then we have infinite possibilities to share with others in so many ways. As massage therapists, we do this on a daily basis. If you don't "replenish" yourself, then you have nothing left to give.

akb
Registered Member

Post by akb » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:07 pm

In another discussion forum I frequent, The Secret has come into debate. I haven't seen it or read the book. But it got my attention when one of the members said that this movie is an insult to the people in third world countries who think of nothing but water and food until the day they die of dehydration and starvation....that maybe those people just need to see the movie?

nybor7
Registered Member

Post by nybor7 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:58 pm

I too was put off by the website hocking the various forms of the secret.
Seeing the show was ok. I wish they included more of the people I admire in the book.
Anyone who has read any similar contributors knows the secret already.
Chopra and Dyer are my favorites.
I think I remember D Chopra on Oprah a long long time ago. Anyone know if Dyer has ever been on it?
The best part of they secret hype....Oprah got the word out. There are millions of people who try to live this way. Maybe a few million more will hop on the bandwagon.

Robyn
r e l a x - South Carolina

BJB-LMP
Registered Member

Post by BJB-LMP » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 am

"Law of Attraction" stuff always bothers me for the reason AKB stated, and yes Oprah didn't get to be where she is by avoiding the bandwagon (she builds it and calls it "miraculous" etc), but that said, I can't see any problem with thinking positively and focusing on what one wants, especially since most of us in the US have access to enough resources to get where we want to. It does seem that a lot of people are stuck in negative thinking patterns that are unsupported by the facts of their lives, so if something like this Secret franchise (brilliant branding!) helps people be happier rather than just encouraging them to beat themselves up, well, why not.

Coming from a crafting background, it doesn't bother me that someone has repackaged the old into the new. Craft entrepreneuses do it all the time. Tole painting is dead? Reinvent it as One-Stroke Painting, TM! People won't make quilts out of tiny patches any more? Manufacture whole lines of fabrics "just for quilting" that they can piece together in one week! Women are making a good living for their families in that industry, plus bringing enjoyment to a lot of people, with old recycled ideas, and somehow it feels OK to me.

When people mention What the @!#J* as an earlier material, I remember thinking while I watched that movie, "Isn't this all the stuff Fritjof Kapra wrote about in 'Tao of Physics' back in the early 80s?" Not that it wasn't good -- the movie just somehow found the way to connect with a larger audience in a way that Tao of Physics did not.

I guess that's another reason I'm not bothered by the Secret's recycling of ideas -- if the goal is to reach a wide audience with these ideas, making something "new" is usually the best way to do that in our culture. Sure, there are other books and movies out there, and people have preferences among them, but marketing something new tends to be most effective in the US. So they're just being smart if they want to get their message out.

Sorry OP - I have nothing to add to your original discussion! I'm a bit too much of a grumbler to admit in public that I do things like affirmations or positive thinking. I have a reputation to protect! :lol:
-Beccy

MRSkitten
Registered Member

Post by MRSkitten » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 am

The habit of placing attention on the positives in life rather than the negative is an excellent practice that cannot be too widespread, but it irritates me when LOA is promoted as a kind of cosmic get-rich-quick scheme. Real riches are not material. I'm saddened that once again Oprah is promoting a book with credibility issues. Recycling certainly isn't dishonest, but selling Used as New is. I never expected to find uniformly scathing reports of inflated contributor credentials, oversimplification of the essential message, deceptive sourcing, and an emphasis on selfishness and material acquisition in a book of this nature. I'm dismayed Secret's many flaws dimish the perception of value and understanding of LOA/positive thinking among the wider public.

While it's okay to focus on (and work hard and plan for) a better car or bigger house, material posessions cannot bestow happiness or contentment, which are purely products of attitude. Counting our blessings, expecting and looking for the best rather than the worst and focusing on responsibly and unselfishly helping others is the real "secret" to happiness.

I can't agree that people caught up in unfortunate situations over which they have no control (famine, war, natural disaster, victims of crimes or disease) have somehow brought it upon themselves. While a collective attitude of negativity can certainly nourish evil and allow it to flourish, bad things do happen to good people. Suffering is part of the human experience. It's our individual attitude towards it that matters, as that is the only thing within our absolute control.

Those who have read "The Secret", please help me understand the logic behind the author's statement that avoiding seeing fat people keeps her thin. (If they are both rich AND fat, apparently posessing a desirable excess of money cancels out undesirable excess weight?) And if my focus is on being sure I don't allow fat people into my sight, is not my attention on what I DON'T want, and thus attracting it? How can it be a positive thing to deny someone's very humanity based on (my perception of their) superficial appearance, which is merely an illusion anyway?
:smt017

Gessika
Registered Member

Post by Gessika » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:24 am

For anyone who wants to learn more about The Secret, you can watch video clips of the Oprah show about it for FREE at the link below. There are 5 clips about 5-8 minutes each. (The link below is for the first clip). She talks with the "creator" and some of the people who were featured in the movie.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9350288402

I have seen the actual movie and these clips do give a good summary of it.
"The end result can only be as pure as the starting spirit."

LisaG
Registered Member

Post by LisaG » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Great to see this discussion on The Secret!

For those who didn't see Oprah's special, one of the things that was addressed right up front on her initial show is that the concepts presented in The Secret are not new. The dvd is presenting concepts that have been around for years (and years). The producer never took personal credit for discovering these concepts. She did talk about how her daughter introduced her to the law of attraction at a rather dark time of her life and began reading everything she could find on it. Perhaps her personal discovery of the law of attraction is being misinterpreted by some to mean that she is taking credit for them. I never got that sense from the dvd or from her appearance on Oprah.

For me, The Secret was much more enjoyable than What The Bleep. I found some of the visual effects in What The Bleep to be too much and the storyline downright annoying at times. In spite of the advertising hype for The Secret, I was pleasantly surprised that not that much carried through on the DVD. It's mostly comprised of interviews of various people, motivational speakers, holistic practitioners, physicists, etc. about how the law of attraction has impacted them in their life.

There are 2 versions of the DVD - the first release featured quite a bit of Esther Hicks. Unfortunately there were some changes in the marketing plans that resulted in contract renegotiation and Esther decided to no longer be a part of the project. As a result, there's a 2nd version, which I haven't seen.

MrsKitten, I've never heard anything mentioned about avoiding fat people - although I haven't read the book, just seen the DVD.

As for people in third world countries - I've never heard, in anything I've read about LOA (law of attraction) anyone insinuating that the people over there just don't want something badly enough. I really think that's an oversimplification of the process. There are many, many factors at play in those situations, in any situation.

Unfortunately there seems to be a tendency to dismiss the LOA as just thinking positively and saying your affirmations. Not that there's anything wrong with positive thinking, but I think there's more depth to LOA than that. When I hear people use the term positive thinking it brings up images of gritting my teeth, sucking it up and putting a smile on my face no matter what.

What I do find emphasized in my studies of LOA is compassion, acceptance of where I am, a reminder to be conscious of where I put my attention, a knowing that how I feel has a dramatic impact on my life and my interaction with others. I am also increasingly aware of my ability to shift negative emotions, even a tiny bit, so that I feel better. And I'm realizing that one of the most important things to me is feeling good.

Afterall, we are all vibrational beings - that's nothing new. I know when I feel good I'm in a much better space for my clients. Heck, I'm in a much better space for the world. And the more of us out there feeling good, the more that ripples out into the world and creates positive change.

And yes, I'm looking forward to attracting more money into my life - to help others, to create positive change, to purchase "goodies", etc. Does my happiness depend upon it? Absolutely not. Will I have fun with it, of course! And yes, there are many positive things I can do without any increase in income.

I think one of the great lessons in life comes from the airlines - put your own oxygen mask on first, before helping someone else. I think that's the very best kind of selfish.

Well, it appears I've written a book :oops: Thanks for reading :)

Lisa
Last edited by LisaG on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa Gillispie, LMT specializing in Craniosacral Therapy for 15 years
Resources for Craniosacral Practitioners http://www.anatomyconversations.com
Facebook -http://www.facebook.com/LisaGillispieLMT

healer611
Registered Member

Post by healer611 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Lisa,

Thanks for your "book." You have expressed my sentiments exactly and better than I could have, evidently.

When you take the airlines' advice, you are in a powerful position to do good.

Donna

jacqueline
Registered Member

Post by jacqueline » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:54 pm

ditto with bodywork guy

Return to “Off the Table Topics”