Greetings from the MidWest

Introduce yourself; tell us your birthday; become a part of our community!

Moderator: GreenDragonfly

Greetings from the MidWest

Postby coelbren on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:38 am

Hi, I am about to graduate in a couple months (or so) here in the middle west. . . from massage school. Studied two levels of Thai massage and a Hakomi workshop previous to getting into massage school, also into energy work and a doula practice. Hoping to create a *sustainable* income source for myself doing massage on the side, and right now am studying the benefits of heat and cold therapy and writing a paper on it. Still studying for the MBLEX! Any good anatomy interactive sites you recommend?

Thanks!

Emma
coelbren
Fresh Hands

Re: Greetings from the MidWest

Postby pueppi on Tue May 16, 2017 10:05 am

Welcome to the forums! :)

We have a few therapists on the forum who know about Hakomi work. shivashiva mentions it here.

And, since you like Thai Massage, I pulled a search for you by topic, so you can find a few threads on the subject a little easier, while you are poking around the forums! Just click my handy-dandy link below. :)
search.php?keywords=Thai+Massage&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

For interactive anatomy sites, this Topic link may be helpful:
Anatomy/Pathology & Other Integrated Study Products

Plus:
Great Anatomy Sites - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=478&hilit=interactive+anatomy

And I located a snippet in another thread:
Here's a great one for anatomy:
GetBodySmart: Interactive Tutorials and Quizzes On Human Anatomy and Physiology

also: http://anatomy.uams.edu/anatomyhtml/muscles_back.html "This is a very detailed list of nearly ALL the muscles in the body along with innervation, origin, and insertion -- best of all they're grouped together!"

I admit that I have not double checked to make sure all of the links are updated within the threads. So, since they are older, you may have to do a little searching if something pops up as "not found". :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Postby coelbren on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Wonderful, THANK YOU! ;)
coelbren
Fresh Hands

Re: Greetings from the Middle Country

Postby coelbren on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 pm

I passed my MBLEX and now I just have 2 exams to study for and pass for massage school! They are anatomy exams, with lots of origin and insertion.

I'm really excited about deepening my bodywork, starting my own practice (I hope), and learning more about Hakomi-style therapy. Hakomi is supposed to be based in nonviolence, conscious awareness, and other now-based principles.

I plan to interview some Hakomi practitioners to learn more about their practice. The term is not used by any practitioners here, but then there are not really any Thai practitioners here either (maybe one or two, but not a focused practice).

There are so many things I'm excited about and classes, CEU etc I want to take that I hardly know where to begin. I am also really interested in the trauma-centred Somatic Experiencing CEU classes. I've had friends who were treated with these modalities, and they said it was life-saving. I read the book Taming the Tiger by Peter levine and he describes how trauma is stored in the body. It seems like bodywork is a very important modality alongside with talk therapy.

In portland, where I lived before, a lot of practitioners, or there was a growing trend to combine counselling with bodywork. I am intrigued by how one accomplishes this to an end, and whether a counselling degree or certificate is required. I've considered combining bodywork with health coaching, life coaching, or some type of counselling certification.

I guess I should start a new thread along these lines? Very interested in holistic healthcare and practices.

Namaste.
coelbren
Fresh Hands

Postby holley on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:06 am

Combining Counseling with bodywork would actually make one a massage therapist. Combine bodywork with an open heart and you become a celebrant. May your career bring you, and those you are fortunate to serve, what truly matters.
'Every Day is a god, each day a goddess and holiness pours forth in time."
holley
Registered Member

Postby coelbren on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 pm

I am getting licensed this Friday! I have job interviews all week. There is a chair massage job in the hospital and a spa/studio job to do pregnancy massage, hot stone, and swedish, and I'm very interested in both positions. For my first job(s) what is the most important thing to look for? Any suggestions appreciated.
coelbren
Fresh Hands

Postby pueppi on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:11 pm

coelbren wrote:I am getting licensed this Friday! I have job interviews all week. There is a chair massage job in the hospital and a spa/studio job to do pregnancy massage, hot stone, and swedish, and I'm very interested in both positions. For my first job(s) what is the most important thing to look for? Any suggestions appreciated.

Look for a place that will not over-work you to the point of burn-out. And, find a place that will pay you on-time. Both important for paying your bills. :)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, leading to the most amazing view. May your rivers flow without end, meandering through valleys tinkling with bells... Houston Massage Therapy - Advanced Massage Therapy - Lucas & Lucas, LLC
pueppi
Registered Member

Return to Introductions and Birthdays